Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Shopping for my Girlfriend

Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shopping for my Girlfriend

Originally Posted by XF504
If were talkin convertibles I think the best bang for your buck would be the MR2 Spyder. Its a four cylinder midengine sports car. Theres not to many on the road anymore so you would stand out. Just a thought
I had one of these for a few years and loved it.
Big grin factor and zero mech or elec problems.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Maybe I misrepresented what she was looking for exactly. She wants a very practical car, but also grins her *** off when she drives something sporty. So that's why the GTI and GLI were right up her alley. Also, she's not at all just some "girl" she's actually an engineering major at GT and knows a bit about mechanics, but maybe not about actually working on cars.

She could tell which cars were built well and which ones were trash (Scion tC...) We're not decided yet, but the comments on VW's have us a little worried. She's still a way away from making a purchase, so we're probably gonna drive everything that's been mentioned so far. That should be a good pool of cars to choose from.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Forum Regular

Go with the Subaru Impreza WRX. Great car reasonable price, runs forever. All wheel drive for inclement weather, super safe, and quick. STI would be to much and to expensive. Very practical yet fun. My 2 cents.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM

i say out of the ones you listed you should get a mini. There pretty reliable and there fun to drive. Only bad thing i heard about them, there's something that happens to there engine to make it sound like a diesel in the morning. Not a performance problem, but more of a annonce.

I would say also check out a newer 05-06 acura rsx. It has decent power, good resale value and good reliability.

I agree on the vw...the cost of repairs on a vw will probably be higher then your srt6 and about the same as my c32 but none of the fun.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular

Check out latest JD Power ranking based on problems within the first three years. VW is second to last above Suzuki.. Think about it...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...entid=18674859

Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM

I agree! Female point of view here: I only drive cute or sexy cars! (Hence why I drive an Xfire!)

I'll agree on the TC. I have a few friends that own one, and haven't heard any complaints yet! My first car was a Toyota Corolla S....the little "sporty" package on it makes it look a heck of a lot better than the standard Corolla...and I LOVED the gas mileage!

Happy Hunting!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by roncosrt6
Check out latest JD Power ranking based on problems within the first three years. VW is second to last above Suzuki.. Think about it...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...entid=18674859

holy crap... 260problems. My friend thought about getting a new GTI until he found out his insurance would be $365 a month for it.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:16 PM

I definitely appreciate all the input guys (and OC XFire). You've got us reconsidering cars we've written off and researching our asses off on everything we're interested in. The really sad thing is that we're not decided on a VW at this point, but no other car that we've driven, short of an Audi or BMW, has anywhere near as nice of an interior. We've been very unimpressed with nearly every car besides the VW's (and other German cars) in her price range.

It just sucks that you can't have it all. We like the looks, interior quality, and design of the GTI, but these reliability issues keep haunting us. We also like the A4 and 3 series, but prices on those quickly surpass $15k if you want a well maintained car in good condition. We've looked at some beaten up BMW's for 15 grand...

As far as the Japanese cars go, we've looked at the Scions, Imprezas, and Civics. The Scion is just a joke, but as much as we liked the Impreza WRX and Civic SI, the interiors just ruined it. She just didn't like the copious use of "plasticky" materials.

We'll keep looking, and appreciate the continuing suggestions.

Last edited by SRT_Flyboy; 03-19-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 PM

i would also say check out some acura 04-05 TL's...you can find a lot of them fully loaded with navi, hids, bluetooh leather seats for $15-16k. Plus it has v6 270hp engine that gets decent mileage.

Maybe check out a acura 04-05 tsx as well if she wants something smaller. The k24 in there is dead on reliable.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 PM

I owned three VW's before my SRT-6. 00 Golf, 03 GTI and 06 GTI. They are great cars but not as reliable as a Honda. I traded my GTI because I was running out of warranty and got a great deal on my SRT-6. The Honda SI has mostly the same performance numbers but just does not feel like a VW. I have driven most cars and nothing feels like a german car. That said I would never own a VW out of warranty.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like Minis are starting to look like bad bets due to transmission failures.

I agree with you, Audi and VW have the best interiors, short of BMW. They really feel like works of art.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM

You guy's have just got the new smart car, Have you thought about the BRABUS tuned soft top

Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ybesty
You guy's have just got the new smart car, Have you thought about the BRABUS tuned soft top

NO. Please no smart cars... Maybe they're more feasible in Europe, but get in a crash with some cars here (Hummer, Excursion, Suburban, etc) and the Smart car might as well be a sport bike.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Between GTI and Audi A4.....go with the A4

Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SRT_Flyboy
NO. Please no smart cars... Maybe they're more feasible in Europe, but get in a crash with some cars here (Hummer, Excursion, Suburban, etc) and the Smart car might as well be a sport bike.
thought you might like to take a look at this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ybesty
thought you might like to take a look at this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8
Cool video, but I researched further about the official crash tests for the Smart Car. Turns out, it got mostly "acceptable" ratings by the NHTSA. I just wouldn't feel safe in one of those, plus she wants something that is sporty, practical, and not a death trap... just poking fun with that last one. We're just not considering a Smart car, it's not for us.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mini Cooper S comes with an Auto too. My sister test drove one while I rode in the front with her and our really fat salesman squeezed into the back.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn it, I've been fooled. Nice catch... and I read through the whole ******' thing.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife's next car in a mercedes for sure. Used of course. 230/240 something in the C class...

Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

af pilot training? as i understand, you have to go to the academy straight from h.s. (a hellluva process) to become an a.f. pilot (as in multi million dollar aircraft). your posts make no sense from a critical thinking standpoint. our aircraft (whether support or tactical) are not *cute* and a.f. wives know that. their lives are the air force and everything they do permeates that. i ought to know; one of my best friends from h.s. is an accomplished a.f. pilot (academy and all).

Last edited by musicnsurf; 06-20-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Shopping for my Girlfriend