Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Intake y-pipe or t-pipe?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intake y-pipe or t-pipe?

Anybody have specs on their aftermarket intake y-pipe or t-pipe
and is there any airflow difference between a T setup vs a Y setup on your
dual cai's I know I want to use 3" piping thanks.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intake y-pipe or t-pipe?

tried 3 different y style setups for the dual intake on the throttlebody. For some reason that goofy T-shaped silicone setup works well and no benefits of a y/merge style were seen from my testing.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theoretically using a y-pipe rather than a t-pipe for a dual intake should create a better merging flow of air into the throttle body. With a t-pipe the two masses of air flows abruptly hit each other and cause turbulence. With a y-pipe the air flows are directed in a gentler angle into the throttle body so that you have less turbulence.

I have been working on the engineering aspect of airflows as it related to intakes and throttle bodies... I am working to bring out something new...

It will be a few weeks before it is done, but hopefully I will have it for the Dragon.

Sometimes size does matter...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Intake y-pipe or t-pipe?

Goofy looking? Sir you are talking about my child there.....

Woody and oh yeah WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wye can beat you wye Woody

Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Theoretically using a y-pipe rather than a t-pipe for a dual intake should create a better merging flow of air into the throttle body. With a t-pipe the two masses of air flows abruptly hit each other and cause turbulence. With a y-pipe the air flows are directed in a gentler angle into the throttle body so that you have less turbulence.

I have been working on the engineering aspect of airflows as it related to intakes and throttle bodies... I am working to bring out something new...

It will be a few weeks before it is done, but hopefully I will have it for the Dragon.

Sometimes size does matter...
so are you impying that i should wait to get a dual cai?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
so are you impying that i should wait to get a dual cai?
I am confused. I was just stating some engineering aspects f fluids I had researched as it related to the intake. I am a firm believe that each person can do whatever they please at any point with their cars...as long as it doesn't affect me. haha.

if you want to hold off on a dual CAI, then do it. I don't think you will be able to get a Needswings Dual for a couple months while hiw y-pipes are being made.

Probably right around the time for the tail of the dragon there should be some dual CAI's avaiable... or you could just build your own...

PM me if you have any other CAI questions so we don't hijack this thread.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

THe dual cai reduces the 1 psi drop that the single cai inlet restriction causes. Its a power adder as the owners of the dual can attest, I saw 35 HP at the bottom as did Oldoc2u which is what gets you going.

The air in a T or a wye is not moving toward the throttle body, IT IS BEING SUCKED which is wildly different. IT is flowing as a result of a lower pressure at the center of the wye due to the supercharger's operation. Think of it as falling into a lower pressure zone, not being forced into a pipe even though the net airflow is essentially the same thing.

The gain of the wye is that it has smoother flow, less turbulence and therefore lower restriction than a similar sized tee fitting.

WEEKEND WOODY

Old 09-04-2009, 03:48 PM

My only issue with this, is that if the air flows are not of identical velocity you still run into a turbulence problem along because of the venturi effect.

If the pipe constricts at any point it creates a venturi effect in which case you flow only throw the maximum the most constricted point can flow creating a lower velocity in the higher volume section.

You can only have the CFM of air at the most restricted point. At the less restrictive point you still only see the the most air that the restricted point can flow through.

This creates velocity issues... even if you are sucking in air. Just my $.02

I'm looking forward to seeing what gains I get off of the design being worked on...I will either be right or wrong...those are the only two options...either way I know what makes you do all these goodies Woody...it's just fun.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Fun yes and it keeps me off the patrolled streets some.
My attitude is that friction is additive and any reduction here helps overall there. Please see my wye was two elbows that were sectioned and have internal wall surfaces the blend into a common port, ie smooth transition.

Woody on a three day weekend...............

BTW I metered the force of the air at the front of my car yesterdat at a legal speed of 45 mph and saw about 1 inch of water column of ram air pressure due to the forward motion of the car, not enough to get wiggy about with horns and such facing front.........FYI

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I am confused. I was just stating some engineering aspects f fluids I had researched as it related to the intake. I am a firm believe that each person can do whatever they please at any point with their cars...as long as it doesn't affect me. haha.

if you want to hold off on a dual CAI, then do it. I don't think you will be able to get a Needswings Dual for a couple months while hiw y-pipes are being made.

Probably right around the time for the tail of the dragon there should be some dual CAI's avaiable... or you could just build your own...

PM me if you have any other CAI questions so we don't hijack this thread.
and i think i was misunderstood. it was an offhanded comment to imply maybe you at eurocharged were building some new and exciting intake and i was asking if i should wait on it. no malicious intent meant