Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Would a blow off valve work?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a blow off valve work?

I know this isnt most peoples cup of tea but i love the sound of a BOV, is it possible to get that blow off sound? If so what type of bov would i need i remember once hearing its important to know if the car is plump or atmospheric? ( i think were the terms) Thanks in advance guys

Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would a blow off valve work?

no

i think there are a bunch of threads on mbworld about this.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Forum Regular

Lol thats silly

My brother in law supercharged his Ford when he blew his heads we put his BOV on my SRT and it sounded soooooooo coool, my fiance' said it was stupid and embaressing so I took it off, but in short YES you can put one on and between you and I they sound AWSOME duno how strict your lady is on what you do to your car though haha

Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah im deffinately very keen to try it, what type of bov did you use?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 AM

I like the sound of the SSQV ones...(I think)...interested also..but Dont you use these things in high boost apps?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Forum Regular

I just got the idea into my head today and thought a bov with the needswings intake would make for one sick sounding beast!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM

The two types are recirculating or atmospheric,the one your looking for is atmospheric because of the pressure being realeased into the atmosphere which gives u that awesome sound I used the hks ssq on my wrx which I was pushing 20psi from a vf39 turbo and I currently have one on my sr20 swapped 240sx. But a bov does put more stress on the engine by having it constantly make up for the boost being released thus it should be used on high boost apps but u don't have to. Greddy,hks,blitz,and forge all make universal blow off valves greddy gives u nice wooshing sounds and hks ssq gives a nice woosh/whistle sound.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular

it was just a cheap one he had got it for like $100..our cars produce like 14 or 15psi so pleanty of bost, his car was only producing like 6psi and it still sounded awsome!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 AM

What ya think Rob(Needswings) intake BOV combo....

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by jturkel
no

i think there are a bunch of threads on mbworld about this.

best response yet.

a BOV is used to 'blow-off' extra boost pressure while shifting or with the clutch in...

to me, it just doesn't seem like a smart move for a supercharger that is a)only making 15psi and b)designed to keep boost pressure.

you will definitely be putting more strain on your engine.

a S/C is spooled up by the engine and thus requires a lot of force to keep it in the correct boost psi. a turbo is spooled up by the exhaust gases and therefore the engine is working the same amount whether the turbo spools or not, this is why the BOV is used for turbo applications to keep from overboosting the engine.

If you really want a BOV spend $10,000+ and let Eurocharged turbo your SRT-6.

my $.02

Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM

I just learned something I can understand....thanks ^^^^^

Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ///SilverSaphRT6
I just learned something I can understand....thanks ^^^^^
no problem, i try to put what little knowledge i have into terms that i would have been able to understand a few years ago haha.

all good. glad i could help.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Raz83
But a bov does put more stress on the engine by having it constantly make up for the boost being released thus it should be used on high boost apps but u don't have to.
Ah come again?? In the world of turbocharging there's no additional engine "stress" by adding a BOV. It in fact reduces stress on the turbo by releasing the excess boost pressure when the butterfly is closed.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular

Do they actually use BOV on Supercharged applications?! I only ever see it on turbo cars.

PS On the STi it would actually hurt it's performance. Totally not worth it for a "sound". The only sound I need is my tires squealing and the supercharger whining like beaten red-headed stepchild.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Re: Would a blow off valve work?

I need clarification, if the manifold vacuum opens it, where is the boost to BLOW OFF?

Why spend money to slow the car down , cost, weight, and complexity to have others look at a NON turbo car that sounds should be.
Happy with the s/c whine??????????? My S/c is noticable with the dual inlet and my next project mod and I get plenty of thumbs up at the track with "I did not know that had a supercharger............."

How would it work on an automatic that has the throttle on it all way down the road??

Must be like text messages.....Why not use the phone to leave a voice mail instead????????
[I don't get and admit it; ELIZABETH, Iam coming soon, I think this is the BIG one..........Sanford and son.]

WHY do you want that repulsive Cop catching sound to make your car MORE NOTICIBLE,?? Me Iam going stealth, successfully so far.

Waiting for the weekend, Woody

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Woops I meant it would be added stress to ur supercharged ingine but The atmostpheric blow off valve can do damage to your car if you aren't properly modified for it. They are bad for stock cars because the lack of air entering the intake tract is less than expected, so the car runs rich in between gears and can cause afterfire.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Dude, what are you doing?
Also: in reference to your post in another thread re: warranty, don't you HAVE a pulley?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by waldig
I need clarification, if the manifold vacuum opens it, where is the boost to BLOW OFF?

Why spend money to slow the car down , cost, weight, and complexity to have others look at a NON turbo car that sounds should be.
Happy with the s/c whine??????????? My S/c is noticable with the dual inlet and my next project mod and I get plenty of thumbs up at the track with "I did not know that had a supercharger............."

How would it work on an automatic that has the throttle on it all way down the road??

Must be like text messages.....Why not use the phone to leave a voice mail instead????????
[I don't get and admit it; ELIZABETH, Iam coming soon, I think this is the BIG one..........Sanford and son.]

WHY do you want that repulsive Cop catching sound to make your car MORE NOTICIBLE,?? Me Iam going stealth, successfully so far.

Waiting for the weekend, Woody
Woody, I posted a topic awhile ago about the BOV......The only reason I would want a BOV is if I'm running my stacked setup. That way it will allow the max possible boost without the worry of the CPU going into limp mode. For this reason, I would install a BOV.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:33 PM

I believe that you are trying to have a pressure limitiing valve that opens JUST a WEE BIT to bleed off excessive boost pressure.

IMHO the easiiest way to contol that is to mount a radiator cap on a radiator neck and then use the cap to limit the pressure. YOu wont need to blow off much and the cap has been used on turbo cars in the past as a SIMPLE, LOOOOWWWW COST METHOD , THAT IS EASILY ADJUSTABLE. Just swap the caps. Ill try to dfind the article from 20 years ago, believe that Ak Miller did this then. 7psig to 25 psig are on the market for the radiator caps, others also but less common.

Iam not sure how to use the BOV to regulate since it opperates off a vacuum signal. A regulator valve with an adjustable spring setting, thats another approach but may be costly/

FInally, I believe that 22 or so PSIG is as much as we can run without redesigning the controls for the motor, and then the head gasket would provide POSITIVE boost limiting.

Woody

Old 10-22-2009, 05:52 PM

FYI boost article..........

I know some people will be sceptical about these claims, but we used to race with up to 24 lbs boost blowing thru a Holley without a carb box or any intercooler.

Everywhere we took the car, people crowded around it in the pits, and yelled from the stands every time it made a pass.

We used a solid (foam) float made for Holley carbs. I think they called it a nitrophyl float. ??
(hollow floats collapse under pressure)

I took an aluminum carb spacer, carefully drilled some small air passages in it to line up with some small holes I had drilled into the Holley carb base, to blow CLEAN-AIR boost pressure (no fuel mix) directly to the throttle shaft bushings so I didn't have to put seals on the shafts, and then topped the carb with a Turbo City carb bonnet that was designed for a different use.

We blew fresh air straight from the turbo into the carb bonnet on top of the bare carb.

At first we had jetted it way too rich to avoid melting anything on its' upcoming first day out at the track. We read about the warnings, and took them way too seriously.

We had only a few days before a big meet, and didn't know what to do about a waste gate or a limiting device. No money to work with or enough knowledge learned yet to build one quickly.

My friend rigged a cheap blowoff valve and stuck it in the turbo boost pipe to the carb. I'll tell you about it later.

The 9 or 10 to one engine compression needed to be lowered before adding boost pressure. My friend cut his own copper head gaskets. They leaked so badly just a couple days before the races, all we could do was stick in some more head gaskets above and below the copper spacers. With such a TALL combination there was almost no compression left, or any decent quench area with the chambers so big now.

The race was two days and a long drive away. We weren't even close to being ready.

As we scrambled to put a car together that we know couldn't be ready on time, we were trying to come up with excuses as to why we couldn't race the car when we showed up at the meet.
Head gaskets blown? (mostly true), severe carb trouble? (mostly true), new tranny that wasn't working right? (didn't know yet, but it could happen!), but all of them were weak or made us sound like quitters, so we kept going, all the while very afraid we would fall on our faces in front of a large crowd.

We tow all the way from Missouri to Nashville Music City Raceway and unload the car.

So here we are at a drag meet with a 35+ year old Studie, a tiny 259 cubic inch Studie stock-block engine, a turbo that wasn't tuned or controlled, a carb running way WAY too rich, a shockingly low 6.9 compression ratio, a fresh PowerGlide that was like starting in second gear, and a rigged-up RADIATOR CAP blowoff valve as a crude turbo control.

The rear gears were still too tall, set for the low-gear launch of a TH350 trans, much too tall for the mushy second-gear Powerglide launch. No transbrake to load the turbo against for ANY boost at launch time... everything seemed to be all wrong, and we ran out of time to correct any of them.

BUT WOW, NONE OF THAT MATTERED.
The first few runs got everyones attention, and drew a crowd.

Every time the lights went green, the "other" car would get a jump on the slow starting Studie, usually a few car lengths, then the little Stude would wind up and charge at the other guy.
Usually between half-track or two-thirds track, with the turbo really blowing and whining, the Stude would fly right past at a really high rate and leave the guy in the other lane wondering what the heck just happened.

On it's very first time out, the car took Fast Class Trophy.

We had such fun with the car. It put on such a good show that people would crowd around it to see what in the world that was.

The turbo would spin up a bit, boost higher, pull harder, wind up some more, boost higher, pull harder, wind up some more, boost higher, pull harder, wind higher, more boost, pull even harder, scream higher, boost more, pull harder, scream higher......

Near the top end of the track when it was really pulling hard and the over rich carb was dumping too much fuel to the engine, it would often put out a very noticable BLUE HALO glowing under the car (came from the 3-1/2 inch turbo outlet pipe that you couldn't see)
It was a sight to see.

So here was a car we put together in a rush at the last minute-
ONLY 6.9 compression!!! rich carb dumping fuel. gears much too tall.

NO turbo control except for a 12lb RADIATOR CAP stuck in the side of the boost pipe as a makeshift blowoff valve. (fresh air- no fuel mix)
Surprisingly, the 12 lb radiator cap actually worked quite well as a boost limiter at "normal" driving on the street, but at the track when it was pulling hard and winding high, the turbo would overwhelm the small "valve" and go past the 23-24 lbs boost mark near the finish line. That was just about the time the fuel pressure suddenly started climbing faster than the boost and an over rich carb got even richer.
The race was over by then, so it didn't really matter at the time.

Later on with better carb settings, a better fuel regulator, better head gaskets and a better compression ratio, TH 350 with better ratios and transbrake, we got it running a whole lot faster, but that first outing was the most memorable one of all.

What a blast we had. I want to do it again.

A few summers ago, a shop fire (blame a leaky 85 Corvette) took down two buildings, all the race parts, a few collector cars including a nice Studebaker Hawk, and a whole lot of tools, NOS fenders, etc etc.
No more racing.....

That car below in my signature line is no more.....

Woody

Last edited by waldig; 10-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Would a blow off valve work?