Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

The surge - & I don't mean Iraq.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The surge - & I don't mean Iraq.

After 70,012 miles my original Bosch IC pump finally gave up the ghost; RIP.
The car had been surging (& this is an apt description of what it feels like!) for the past couple of weeks but I didn't give it much thought since I suspected it was time to get the tranny fluid & filter replaced.
So I made an appointment with my fave mechanic to have that happen next Monday. Of course.

Then, while on the way to work this morning I eased down the pedal in order to pass a farm tractor blazing down the highway at 25 or so and
nothing -
I felt like I could've gotten out of the car & ran faster.

And that's when it hit me: duh, it's probably the IC pump doing its "I'm dying" routine. I just so happened to have a Johnson pump I bought a few months ago with the idea that, one of these days, I'd install it. But not wanting to deal with a limping SRT on my hour drive home through the sticks I dropped it off a one of our service centers & voila', no more surge! The mechanics hemmed & hawed over installing a 'non-OEM pump' but when all was said & done they did a fine job.

Interestingly enough, as the car is now officially out of warranty, I also popped a code a couple of weeks ago that pointed to the crank position sensor. I also had one of those lying around & swapped it out 2 weekends ago. I figure I was lucky since these sensors don't often throw codes but usually just kill the car. Whew!

Now I feel like a REAL member of the SRT club; after all, what would it be like to NEVER have these 2 common issues arise?!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Default Re: The surge - & I don't mean Iraq.

The tech just wanted you to buy the IC pump from the stealership.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
The tech just wanted you to buy the IC pump from the stealership.
Oh, they could've whined all they wanted to but the company I work for owns this service center & I'm considered "management". If I have to throw some weight around to make sure they fix my car my way, well then so be it! Besides, they like me, go figure....

I did pick up the old Bosch & took it apart tonight. Oddly, the mechanical part of the pump looks just fine. Some slime build-up on the internals but nothing that would indicate a blockage or nothing I would think would be an issue. I forgot to bring home my multimeter so I'll have to check the motor some other time.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurts
Oh, they could've whined all they wanted to but the company I work for owns this service center & I'm considered "management". If I have to throw some weight around to make sure they fix my car my way, well then so be it! Besides, they like me, go figure....

I did pick up the old Bosch & took it apart tonight. Oddly, the mechanical part of the pump looks just fine. Some slime build-up on the internals but nothing that would indicate a blockage or nothing I would think would be an issue. I forgot to bring home my multimeter so I'll have to check the motor some other time.
check the windings. thats were mine burned up at
also keep the plug from the old one. it comes in handy when using the johnson pump for the oem plug in