Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Many Pulley Questions...

Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Pulley Questions...

Okay first off, I HATE just asking questions without using the search bar first, but I sold my laptop to put a down payment on my srt-6 so here I am . The search bar doesn't work with my iPhone 3gs hence I am posting this. Could you tell me the benefits and negs about all these after market pullies. I honestly know nothing about them. All I see are like code 3 pullies, 185 and 181 mm. But where are these pullies going into your car and how do they make them faster? Since I'm already posting on here, what are wheel spacers and what do they do? Sorry in advanced for the newbie questions but I want to learn as much as I can about doing mods to my car because this is my first fast car.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Default Re: Many Pully Questions...

Just do a code 3 pulley and Needswings intake and hold on to your pants. When that gets boring come back here and let us know.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will try to give you the short version to your questions. There are basically 2 types of pulleys: Crank and supercharger(SC). For the SC, you have the Code 3. For crank pulleys, you have 178MM, 181MM, and 185MM. The SC pulley is the easiest to install, and is comparable to the 178 crank pulley. The purpose of these are to make the SC spin faster, creating more boost, thus more power. They do a very good job of this. The pulleys are on the front of the engine....located within the series of pulleys that the serpentine belt goes around.

Wheel spacers.... They change the offset of the wheels. Many people use them to get the wheels pushed further out from the axle. This allows the tires to line up more evenly with the outer fender well vs inset inside the fender wells. This gives the car a much better looking stance.

I hope this makes sense, and clears things up a bit for you. If you have additional questions or need clarification, just let me know.

EDIT: I agree with 240M3SRT... Code 3, NW CAI, and a Eurocharged Dyno Tune. Then hang on!!! Oh, and get some sticky tires so you have some chance of controlling tire spin.

Last edited by bmorgan; 03-12-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

pullies aren't cheap, neither are the cold air intakes. If you had to sell your lap top to buy the car, then, I would think buying another computer would out weight going faster. The cold air intake would give you some performance and would be my first mod, right after I bought another computer so you can take full advantage of this forum and its info. The next mod would be a pulley of your choosing, right after you read all about them on your new computer, as to which one to choose. Third would be a tune from Inmotion or Eurocharged, and yes you guessed it, right after you read all about them on your new computer. Good luck, cause reading this on a blackberry sucks...lol...and you know I am just jerkin' you around, welcome....

Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
pullies aren't cheap, neither are the cold air intakes. If you had to sell your lap top to buy the car, then, I would think buying another computer would out weight going faster. The cold air intake would give you some performance and would be my first mod, right after I bought another computer so you can take full advantage of this forum and its info. The next mod would be a pulley of your choosing, right after you read all about them on your new computer, as to which one to choose. Third would be a tune from Inmotion or Eurocharged, and yes you guessed it, right after you read all about them on your new computer. Good luck, cause reading this on a blackberry sucks...lol...and you know I am just jerkin' you around, welcome....
Sounds like solid advice to me!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
ha, I KNEW you would respond with some snappy advice after have been watching your postings for months now. :P

So should I do all performance mods before tuning ecu? Sorry I forgot to mention I plan on getting a magnaflow exhust and putting in a 75 dry shot of nos, I already have the tank. I just need the kit. And I sold my laptop because I didn't need an alienware anymore and could use that as a down payment, I'm going to buy a less powerful computer.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as exhaust: these engines require an amount of backpressure to operate properly, and this is where this forum can help you... group buy, always the first or second topic, tells you how to net a magnaflow catback for around 350, the magnaflow is a VERY solid system, minimal drone and sounds very nice... although personally I'm just going to take the resonator out, I enjoy a quieter engine. (also cheaper)

As far as N2O, I would wait on that until AFTER you get a tune, and make CERTAIN that whoever does your tune knows that you're planning on using N2O, if you don't there's a chance that since the tune will advance your top-end timing, that the N2O will advance it even more, meaning detonation is a VERY real risk.

Personal opinion on N2O on these cars: Unless you can score everything for VERY cheap, it's not worth the risk of detonation to me, besides, for the price of a full N2O kit you could get a pulley or a tune or a CAI, all of which would be more effective for road racing, and nearly as effective for drags. Just my two cents.

Sidebar: I'm looking into a CryO2 system that I might install into my 6, see if I can get any gains out of it.

Last edited by brian_omeara07; 03-13-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Many Pulley Questions...

I would do the following in order: CAI, pulley, then tune. You may decide against the N2O after you have these done.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Many Pulley Questions...

as usual i am offering a different route!! drive the car in stock condition for a while . enjoy the power and save some coin. theres enough ponies to get you in dutch until you can research all the MANY options and decide what route you want to go.
from reading your posts you are looking at several different mods all of which dont neccesarilly compliment each other without a proper tune.
enjoy the car read and learn