Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Has any SRT6 Roadster wing cracked and fallen off?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has any SRT6 Roadster wing cracked and fallen off?

Mine still seems to be holding on well, but it would really suck to have the wing/spoiler break off (it's cracked kind of bad at the posts) on a high speed run ... and then the car get crazy all over the road

Is it high speeds which cause the cracking, or what? Is this covered by any warranty? I have a "bumper to bumper" warranty, but it doesn't cover body parts ... I also have full coverage insurance, but I don't think it falls under any insurance categories

Is there anything that can be done to strengthen the wing where it's cracked?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Has any SRT6 Roadster wing cracked and fallen off?

I can't imagine anything other than an impact to have caused the cracking. Certainly not caused by high speed runs.....I think the previous owner knows the real story...

Old 03-21-2010, 07:16 AM

There have been a few people on here that have the same problem with their wing on the SRT 6 Roadster. It's most likely caused by the down force. It doesn't seem to happen on the Coupe because the posts are more directly under the wing compared to the posts on the roadster. I haven't heard of any falling off yet though.

Last edited by robby363; 03-21-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Problem Is Useing The Wing To Open Or Close The Hatch. Also, Do Not Let Small Kids Pull Down Or Sit On The Wing, As It Was Not Designed For This...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't slam the trunk closed! Squirrel Crusher

Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Forum Regular

Yes I agree never try to open or close the rear lid with using the wing/spoiler as a handle, also do not let the rear lid to slam shut, this will help extend the life of the spoiler. I had to replace a lot of SAAB 9-3 rear spoilers for the same reason.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine are cracked in the same way. I posted this before with pics. I can assure you that the very very few times that I have ever opened my trunk, it was done with the utmost of ease. This is not an issue of abuse IMO. I think there is a design flaw in the roadster wings. Raderman said that it has happened on his and his daughter's SRTs as well.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 PM

man bob thats some serious cracks!!! any chance its covered under warrenty?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM

I don't have any warranty on her. When I posted this initially, there were several others that had this same problem. I was thinking about having it repaired this spring, or finding a new one. I do wonder if it is speed related.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I realize this sounds like a dumb question, but what kind of material is it made of?
I'm going to assume it's plastic, and most good body shops can "weld" plastic. (I think that's the term they use). That's how they repair bumper skins.
"Moparrbust" in Vegas can tell you anything that you want to know about the process, and there are a few other forum members who have professional body repair knowledge and skills as well.
I'm just speculating here, but this may be a viable way to address the problem.
Good Luck

Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM

be a good time to reinforcing the mount points with some steel bars

Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 PM

I really don't think there is a problem with the mount points. If you look back at my pics, you can see what a sharp angle the uprights are as compared to the wing. I really think that the downforce on the wing at high speeds causes too much stress on the uprights. And, the location/angle of the cracks would tend to support this.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular

Mine's just like yours bmorgan, although maybe a little worse. I guess nobody has ever had one actually fall off while they were driving since noone said so , but maybe that's because they are always replaced. I think I'll try out the "local body shop" idea and see what they say.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by billvp
Mine's just like yours bmorgan, although maybe a little worse. I guess nobody has ever had one actually fall off while they were driving since noone said so , but maybe that's because they are always replaced. I think I'll try out the "local body shop" idea and see what they say.
Bill, if you don't mind, pm me with what you find out from the body shop. Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM

bob in relooking at your fotos its possible that a shop could sand it down and reinforce it with some carbon fiber and kevlar. that would help to keep it from cracking in that area again. surface it with resin and sand and repaint

Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorgan
I really don't think there is a problem with the mount points. If you look back at my pics, you can see what a sharp angle the uprights are as compared to the wing. I really think that the downforce on the wing at high speeds causes too much stress on the uprights. And, the location/angle of the cracks would tend to support this.
I have had both wings replaced and they are both cracked for a second time. I had Ashly's repaired once also with a plastic weld and it did not hold. It is a question mark as to what is causing the problem. Using the wing to shut the truck or speed or a combination of both in conjuction with a design flaw.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI, the wing/supports on my roadster have no cracks. I never slam the lid shut, but guilty of using the wing to shut it...90% of the time.

I can only imagine that wing supports with cracks were caused by some unusual circumstance, like someone sat on it at one time.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
FYI, the wing/supports on my roadster have no cracks. I never slam the lid shut, but guilty of using the wing to shut it...90% of the time.

I can only imagine that wing supports with cracks were caused by some unusual circumstance, like someone sat on it at one time.
Mine is a weekend driver, and as such, is never used for storing groceries etc. The only time I ever use the trunk is to put my helmet in it for a day at the strip. I do not close the lid by the wing. I have used the trunk no more than 5 or 6 times total, and have always closed it gingerly when I have. No weight of any kind has ever been placed on top of the wing. I have seen speeds in excess of 150, which leads me to believe that downforce is the only logical explanation.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Since no wings have literally fell off yet, I suspect there is some kind of metal structure/reinforcement inside the wing material to keep it together. Just a guess.

James

Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Mine is a weekend driver, and as such, is never used for storing groceries etc. The only time I ever use the trunk is to put my helmet in it for a day at the strip. I do not close the lid by the wing. I have used the trunk no more than 5 or 6 times total, and have always closed it gingerly when I have. No weight of any kind has ever been placed on top of the wing. I have seen speeds in excess of 150, which leads me to believe that downforce is the only logical explanation.

The whole situation is really strange. Perhaps there was an alignment problem at Karmaan's factory.

Quick Reply: Has any SRT6 Roadster wing cracked and fallen off?