Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

what rear end?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
Default what rear end?

Last wed as i was getting ready to go fast from dead still, i went to warm up everything,(the tires) it just didn't feel right, but i went anyway, at 110 mph i went to slow down, i though someone was shooting at me, pop! pow!, bang,Boom,Boom,Boom sheeee! (south florida you know) so i drove very slowly to my spot ,,jacked up the read couldn't see a thing wrong, from the outside,, about 3 hours later i was ready to go home, I said i will drive it until it want go any more. well i made it home,, a freind that was following me home so i wouldn't get stuck on the road, said to me " you know you don't have any fluid in your rear end ,, I said how do you know his reply was because it is all on my windowshield,, well I took the car in Monday for my mech. to find and fix,, he did he found the rear was locked with the pin jamed across the gears, the axles would not come out, tried a slide hammer ,,a press,, and a torch,, he had to throw away the rear end with the axels still (jammed,self welded,and stuck) in the rear bearing,,, (((those were my new axles from 3 days ago))) anyway he installed a new defferential, two new axles, aligned front and rear and gave me the car back,, he only said drive this one a few hundered miles before you do any thing wild. here are some of the pic. jim

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GEDC0025.JPG (2.44 MB, 113 views)
GEDC0028.JPG (413.5 KB, 77 views)
GEDC0027.JPG (2.69 MB, 101 views)

Last edited by amx1397; 03-31-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: what rear end?

OUCH , thats terrible, you should be in line for some good luck now!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what rear end?

OOOUCH! 2 rear ends blown up in a week.....the spring has not been good to the SRT6s on the board so far......sorry about your luck! I hope this one stays together for you.

KrzyFast

Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe I should rethink those drag radials! Glad you got it fixed so fast.

Les

Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by KrzyFast
OOOUCH! 2 rear ends blown up in a week.....the spring has not been good to the SRT6s on the board so far......sorry about your luck! I hope this one stays together for you.

KrzyFast
the rear had a few ,,over 25 runs on it but we had just put new axles in the car i think the yoke was overtorqued that is what made it come apart. in two weeks i will be back on the track,,, have to stop racing long enough for my daughter to get married in 8 days,, jim

Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
the rear had a few ,,over 25 runs on it but we had just put new axles in the car i think the yoke was overtorqued that is what made it come apart. in two weeks i will be back on the track,,, have to stop racing long enough for my daughter to get married in 8 days,, jim
Sorry to hear about that, geez whats with all the rear end problems all the sudden?

If i had 3 wishes one would be for more aftermarket crossfire support. Its tragic, really.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Sorry to hear about that, geez whats with all the rear end problems all the sudden?

If i had 3 wishes one would be for more aftermarket crossfire support. Its tragic, really.
everybody start emailing quaiffe to build us a lsd!!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Forum Regular

Must be the time of the year my rebuild died on me last night romping it on the highway waiting to get some pictures of it... strange so many rearends dieing all of a sudden.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Some one should check out this (http://www.allusasupercenter.com/200...D_Differential)
looked under my body mans hemi charger the first gen. looks real close. I also noticed that NA xfires have axel stubs,or is it other years? my srt6 does not. Island Dragway Greatmeadows NJ. is open, 3/19 Friday street drags.
Convertibles not allowed below 13.5. that pissed me off. defeats the purpose of Friday night street cars.
That guy INFINITE should look into the getrag. Comes from car people, dont let his age fool you I have 14 techs working for me 27-67 years of age. the youger guys like the high tech stuff, the older ones are better workers. SORRY INFINITE, THATS A STRANGE IMAGE YOU POSTED TO REPRESENT YOURSELF. BUT MY FATHER DIDN'T LIKE MY HAIR BACK IN THE DAY. WISH I HAD MORE NOW!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: what rear end?

Jim has had his rear out and tried the na gearset. Could be that the reinstall had some issues with the setup leading to this. Infant Mortality to me.

POINT: It seems that the issues are that the spider gears are the failing component and they cause secondary damage to the whole rear.

I have a phantom grip and it shares more of the torque between the axles. This would reduce the effort the spider gears are forced to carry and probably reducing the stress to them. Something to think about considering the failures. Review the 'point above' please.

Woody

No traction control test with phantom grip addition after 200 miles.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM

Waldig You Got It ! Two Areas Mechanics Seem To Be Afraid Of Differentials And Steering Boxes. There Is Not Much To Either Of Them. Installing A Phantom Or Lsd. Is No Big Deal. And Will Help Support The Spiders. This Problem Is Not Isolated To Just Crossfires, It Has Plagued Drag Racers For Years. It Is Almost Always The Cadge Or Spiders Or Cross,
Mechanics Sometimes Refer To This As The Bundle. Once I Saw The Shaft Of The Pinion Gear Shear Off On 12 Bolt Gm And Thats A Strong Rear. I Mentioned Infinite Because He Is Involved With Drifting. That Has To Be Torture On Rears. And I Dont Think You Can Drift Without Some Kind Of Lock Up. As To The Getrag It Looks Like It Is Possible. Oledoc2 Is Building A Coupe There Is His 3.73 Or Lower For The 1/4. Now For You This Gear Ratio Esp Traction Limp Thing. Read Off Of Wheel Speed Sensors, Or Tranny Output Speed Or Both
Ps I'm Slow Getting Back. Its A Brain Thing

Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am starting to think that the Phantom Grip may be my next mod....

Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 PM

You can always use a rear out of another car, It wouldn't take much to make it happen. If you're into drag racing, why not go the shortened 9 inch route?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: what rear end?

Independent rear suspension is why, even I would not wanna try to do the fit up for that, there goes the roadability.........Woody

Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
have to stop racing long enough for my daughter to get married in 8 days,, jim
Congrats! That should be a good time. Hope this weather holds out for her. It has been really nice out!

Cheers,
KrzyFast

Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks big time. I have a Phantom Grip LSD in my 6 which I installed back when the car had 3k miles on it(it now has a little over 12k miles). I have been drag racing(around 100 passes with drag radials) and driving the hell out of the car for the last 2.5 years and have yet to have a single issue. Since your rear was out recently I'm suspecting that something wasn't 100% when it was installed last..............but then again these rears are put together so easily an infant could probably do the install.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

PG is always on my list, but it will be last....building 2 cars is getting expensive...lol....

Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 PM

the first rear in the car (from the factory)had the PG in it, after about 30 runs and 500 miles started to howl,,replaced it, being i had a warranty , now with a stock rear in the car without the PG i was running 12.22 and put about 1800 miles on it, theni picked up a limited (327 gears) we installed the PH into the limited rear ,,because i though that rear was going to work,, when i changed it back to the stock srt6 rear,No PG ,, ran it 4 times at the track but found the axles were leaking,, ordered new axles week later put them in,, rear was tight but i had to run any way broke it on the first burn out ,, then it felt ok so i ran it anyway 1.922 60 ft 12.6 @ 110 and that was letting off because of the loud banging,,,inspected it couldn't see anything wrong,so it still drove, just made noise so i drove it home the axles seals froze and spun off the rear all the rear end fluid leaked out,(55 miles to home) we removed the rear with the axles still in the rear ,,they would not come out, slide hammer ,,press,, beleave me when i say they were welded to the bearings,,, we put a new 6 rear in the car ,rebuilt my old axles , no PG, as it is still in my 327 rear. I have a week to seat everything, then we will try again.you can see in the pic the spiter gears are good the pin was obblonging it's hole so it was going to brake soon anyway. I think i will install the PG as it is the best way to go right now.I am looking at getting a 312 gear from a 300c and make it fit the himi cars use the same tranny and rear,, just slightly different.and bigger spiter gears most come with 282 gears .jim

Last edited by amx1397; 04-01-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm following this correctly:
- your diff axle seals were leaking, so you ordered new axles? Why not just the seals?
- I know the welded axle/bearing issue. On mine, the diff carrier was weldedto the stub axle... Took some serious beating to get it out. Fortunately, mine was salvagable with a little work.
(edit: I just noticed you don't have seperate stub shaft and axles like the SLK32... Odd)
- the 300 may have the same tranny, but the rear is different (think it shares the older E55 Benz). I'd imagine the TCU is flashed for that gearing. Also, i believe it is 2" wider, & longer so your stock axles/drive shaft won't work.
- what was the code you got with the 3.27? I still may try mine to try and get it to work...

I'm thinking it's time to call Quaiffe and tell them we have enough interest for a real LSD...

Last edited by Buggin; 04-01-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do we need for the quaiffe? an empty center section? im goiing to contact both quaffie and wavetrac next week and see if i can get something going.

Quick Reply: what rear end?