Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

drexler diff

Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default drexler diff

i was reading some threads on mbworld and a member had a diff built by drexler so i contacted them to see if they had a diff or would build 1 for the slk32. so far they seem to be receptive and i following up in case buggin isnt able to get wavetrac to build one
anybody know anything about the drexler diff? no idea the cost yet maybe this week ill know

Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: drexler diff

Hey 32krazy!

I have spent a lot of time on LSD's and Drexler is certainly the best. I'm not sure where you are from but Drexler comes from Europe and has no North American connections. Drexler is a big time racing team supply company and their LSD is more for track than for every day use plus it's very expensive.

There are very good cost effective LSD conversions available. The most famous in North America is Phantom Grip or Kleemann. I've just installed a Kleemann unit on my SRT6 and it gives you a 60% lock on the right side. It is an amazing transformation to my car. These conversions are very common and very durable. Phantom Grip & Kleemann LSD conversions are on many racing touring car Mercedes & BMW vehicles with spectacular dependability.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During my research I didn't come accross the Kleenman conversion. However, I'm assuming it doesn't replace the carrier and spider gears but rather adds some sort of pressure plate/spring setup added to the stock carrier.

I'm still waiting to here back from Wavetrac... I really want to replace the whole carrier.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggin
During my research I didn't come accross the Kleenman conversion. However, I'm assuming it doesn't replace the carrier and spider gears but rather adds some sort of pressure plate/spring setup added to the stock carrier.

I'm still waiting to here back from Wavetrac... I really want to replace the whole carrier.
As you may know Phantom Grip shop and owner John is not far from my house ,,and if you check i have a group buy for the Phantom Grip,, from what the owner and the employees tell me ,,the Kleenman conversion is a copy of the PG they bought one from PG and made their own, only bumped up the price X3 this is not my wordy , it is the words at the phantom grip factory by more than one of the employee's
just my two cents,, jim

Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM

allen i was thinking the same as you junk the whole spider gear setup for a true locker. my contact was drexler themselves in europe and the quote is 1600 eruo (approx 2k$) but from what i can tell its the best on the market and would cure any issues we are having. thats a 1 time buy no idea what a group buy could do.
was just looking for something in case allens wavetrac falls thru. p/g is my last resort as its not a true locker and doesnt cure the weak link issues

Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Forum Regular

Hummmm, $2k? If that is without a minimum buy, that might be the choice...

I'm 100% positive I want the carrier gone. After the down time and pain trying to find a replacement rear when the spider gears went, I want to fix it the best way possible. I still need to get with LET about modifying the header file so I can run the 3.27 gear...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by smokinsrt6
Hey 32krazy!

I have spent a lot of time on LSD's and Drexler is certainly the best. I'm not sure where you are from but Drexler comes from Europe and has no North American connections. Drexler is a big time racing team supply company and their LSD is more for track than for every day use plus it's very expensive.

There are very good cost effective LSD conversions available. The most famous in North America is Phantom Grip or Kleemann. I've just installed a Kleemann unit on my SRT6 and it gives you a 60% lock on the right side. It is an amazing transformation to my car. These conversions are very common and very durable. Phantom Grip & Kleemann LSD conversions are on many racing touring car Mercedes & BMW vehicles with spectacular dependability.

Good luck.
Hey Smokinsrt6,
When are we gonna get to see that hotrod??
I'm heading your way on Saturday May 29th for the Liverpool NY show. I will be meeting a few other Cdn xfire owners along the way and will be getting there in time for show registration. If your interested in joining us we could meet up with you along the way to the border?
Let me know if you are interested.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM

The phantom grips are horrible, i dont care what anyone says.
Im assuming all of these lsd's are helical? I really need a clutch type

Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Buggin
Hummmm, $2k? If that is without a minimum buy, that might be the choice...

I'm 100% positive I want the carrier gone. After the down time and pain trying to find a replacement rear when the spider gears went, I want to fix it the best way possible. I still need to get with LET about modifying the header file so I can run the 3.27 gear...
another 300 euro and they will install in the carrier. it was just a quick email and they need some precise measurement #. i can get you the email if you want to add anything . they reply within 24 hrs. faster than any one else has!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Infinite
The phantom grips are horrible, i dont care what anyone says.
Im assuming all of these lsd's are helical? I really need a clutch type
Personally for pretty much anything but the drag strip I prefer a helical limited slip. I would rather not deal with the poping & chattering when going around a corner, the required special oil, and the wearing out of clutch discs.

As someone that is running the phantom grip and has run quafie's in the past I would not describe the phantom grip as horrible. Would it be my first choice? Not even close. If I have been given the option I would have purchased a Quafie for $1500 vs. $375 for the phantom grip. But given our complete lack of options the phantom grip is better than nothing. Or better than sending Kleeman ~$2600 (or whatever the price is) for pretty much exactly the same thing.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:10 PM

for what I do helicals dont work, as they dont lock up properly
i either need a clutch type (dont care about anything associated with them, they work) or get a spare diff and weld it

Old 05-15-2010, 03:17 PM

two post same problem..
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-day-grrr.html

Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Phantom Grip Or Kleemann?

What I can tell you is that these conversions are not cheap. Phantom grip wants $399.00 for the part and Kleemann wants $849.00. Either way it's a big job to do it properly. Re and Re is approx 6 hours of labour. Machining the diff for proper fitment needs to be done as well.

I went with my Kleemann dealer and it cost me $1699.00 Canadian funds plus taxes for a completed job.

My Kleemann dealer did have a Phantom Grip in his shop and we compared the 2 finished products. The Kleemann certainly looked better in the area of finish and the Kleemann dealer expertise and warranty convinced me.

Now that I have had it for 2 weeks I can tell you that it is an amazing transformation of the vehicle drivability, handling and balance. It just bites and goes. NO DRAMA! NO NOISES and NO SURPRISES.

It's the best money that I have ever spent so far on my car.

It's a game changer for sure.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular

6 hours labor?!? It has been awhile but I am 99.9% that my shop charged me 1hr or less for the install of the phantom grip.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
6 hours labor?!? It has been awhile but I am 99.9% that my shop charged me 1hr or less for the install of the phantom grip.
Did you already have the diff out and apart for them? Maybe that is the difference? I could see them charging 6-hrs to remove diff, machine the carrier to fit the PG, and reinstall everything...

Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 PM

What I can tell you is that these conversions are not cheap. Phantom grip wants $399.00 for the part and Kleemann wants $849.00. Either way it's a big job to do it properly. Re and Re is approx 6 hours of labour. Machining the diff for proper fitment needs to be done as well.

I went with my Kleemann dealer and it cost me $1699.00 Canadian funds plus taxes for a completed job.

My Kleemann dealer did have a Phantom Grip in his shop and we compared the 2 finished products. The Kleemann certainly looked better in the area of finish and the Kleemann dealer expertise and warranty convinced me.

Now that I have had it for 2 weeks I can tell you that it is an amazing transformation of the vehicle drivability, handling and balance. It just bites and goes. NO DRAMA! NO NOISES and NO SURPRISES.

maybe for drag racing and such, but ive heard of phantom grips failing left and right when used in road racing applications. I really wish someone would build a clutch type diff for our cars, then i'd actually buy one

Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM

that;s funny ,,, the charges that is because i was told by PG that kleemaqnn stole the phantom gripthey ordered one then had it remaid for themselves engraved their name on it and tripled the price ,, this is what i was told,, and i saw one from kleemann ans it is the same as pg. jim

Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM

that;s funny ,,, the charges that is because i was told by PG that kleemaqnn stole the phantom gripthey ordered one then had it remaid for themselves engraved their name on it and tripled the price ,, this is what i was told,, and i saw one from kleemann ans it is the same as pg. jim

Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Maybe just n00b optimism but has anyone contacted Quaife North America to see if they will build a planetary gear LSD for us? About 15 years ago I got a group of 25 buyers together and they designed/built them for the Chrysler 555/568 FWD manual transmissions for 'us'. They have sold at least 6-7 runs of 25 units (minimum build) and they are pleased with that volume. I do remember the owner of QNA giving me greif because initially they were moving slowly

Mike

I agree with Infinate (mostly) PG is junk, metal shavings everywhere when they go bad and they *all* will eventually. Just too much shear pressure on the side gears for the oil to protect the plates...

Last edited by MrSix; 05-22-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrSix
Maybe just n00b optimism but has anyone contacted Quaife North America to see if they will build a planetary gear LSD for us? About 15 years ago I got a group of 25 buyers together and they designed/built them for the Chrysler 555/568 FWD manual transmissions for 'us'. They have sold at least 6-7 runs of 25 units (minimum build) and they are pleased with that volume. I do remember the owner of QNA giving me greif because initially they were moving slowly

Mike

I agree with Infinate (mostly) PG is junk, metal shavings everywhere when they go bad and they *all* will eventually. Just too much shear pressure on the side gears for the oil to protect the plates...
yep. contacted them. no interest to build anything for the 32 or the 6. buggin is working with wavetrac but no word as of yet. i was just searching for an alternative route

Quick Reply: drexler diff