Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Interesting thread on MBWorld

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting thread on MBWorld

I was going to list my parts over on MBworld and seen this interesting thread over there. Hey at least my InMotion tuned car just went up in value

Finally had a chance to tear down the blown engine, w/ pics - MBWorld.org Forums

Disclaimer:
Read at your own risks, the persons portrayed are actors.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Interesting thread on MBWorld

Cruzin,

That engine looked NASTY! That hurt me to look at it. Not pretty at all.
However, thanks for sharing the link.

KrzyFast

Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Another reason I "need" another SRT. Gotta have spares!

Looks like the valve busted then everything else went with it.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to be insinuating it was the tune... he specifically states that he was cruising on the highway doing 80 no hard accel, no WOT when the engine failed. Sorry but that is not likely the tune.

...I am not condoning the actions of this if it is in fact the tune. I am all about the truth, but there is a lot of speculating in that thread.

I will be the first to admit (well after cruzin) that the track numbers show InMotion to be faster than Eurocharged, but no need to bash either. Facts are one thing, slander is another.

Cruzin, nothing against you at all for posting this information. The guys on mbworld.org have a terrible reputation for jumping to conclusions and I didn't want to see that start here. Your post was purely informative and for that I thank you. I hadn't seen that thread til you posted it.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The synopsis I gathered was that there are several people claiming the 12.5 AFR under load is still a bit lean...

I'm looking to use Eurocharged in the near future for my tune, as I want to jump in on the "high torque" tune that was showcased at CAA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't N/A cars actually benefit from a leaner mix?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Forum Regular

LOL, ya we have already been in contact with him. He was running the tune for 4 months, and looks to have some hardware failure. They are still tearing it down.

One other thing to note is yes, he was just cruising along under standard throttle. Plus you throw extra hp at an engine that has 120,000+ miles on it.....its bound to start having issues.

here is another cool link for you! Same guy right before he was tuned!

misfires

As far as your car going up in value, perhaps. But after seeing 2 customers that were inmotion tuned at CAA that actually lost HP after they were tuned by them, I would say the value couldn't be that high.

Another interesting tidbit! We have a few customers that are not posting on dragtimes for a reason, and have definately broken some times on that board.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by loungn14
LOL, ya we have already been in contact with him. He was running the tune for 4 months, and looks to have some hardware failure. They are still tearing it down.
Thanks for clearing that up Jake. Glad to hear you are already in touch with him.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHA.......the plot thickens!

Sounds to me like there was a pre-existing problem that he felt the need to ignore.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Mod - Race - Break - Repair....

Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave

I feel like this how the circle of life works...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM

One other thing to note is yes, he was just cruising along under standard throttle. Plus you throw extra hp at an engine that has 120,000+ miles on it.....its bound to start having issues.

here is another cool link for you! Same guy right before he was tuned!

misfires

As far as your car going up in value, perhaps. But after seeing 2 customers that were inmotion tuned at CAA that actually lost HP after they were tuned by them, I would say the value couldn't be that high.

Another interesting tidbit! We have a few customers that are not posting on dragtimes for a reason, and have definately broken some times on that board.

I wasn't even thinking about more or less hp. Just the speculation of longevity. Just speculation alone is worth something to a potential buyer. Especially so many SRT6's without extended warranties.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave

I'd be curious to see how many raced. Besides JTurkel I never seen seen any C32's racing at the big mb events. Now mod they did, maybe Zahanma can track down the common mods each car had done. How many blown 3.2L SC motors is that now in both C32 and SRT6? I still say those top speed spirited runs are more dangerous than the 1/4 mile.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I feel like this how the circle of life works...
It doesn't have to be the case though. I've had my tune for 2 years plus and definately put alot of runs in. Big exception is I don't drive my car daily and it's never been over 130mph. Also maintanance, I've changed my oil every 1000 miles. These tuners can mod these cars and if the owners don't do maintenance then toss it out the window. IMO when highly modifiying the oil should be changed at least every 2000 miles. Our cars with anything more than a stock pulley is highly modifying. I babied my car and it was cheap. Case of oil on hand and case of filters. If any of you owned a drag car, after a weekend race you go home and drop all the fluids. The same should go for your car when it was treated like in a race during the week or weekend. Most don't realize a weekend race is only 4-9 passes down the quarter mile. 2-3 qualifying runs and the rest for eliminations if you keep winning. 5 spirited stop light runs equal that. It's all about how you treat and maintain your car.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
It doesn't have to be the case though. I've had my tune for 2 years plus and definately put alot of runs in. Big exception is I don't drive my car daily and it's never been over 130mph. Also maintanance, I've changed my oil every 1000 miles. These tuners can mod these cars and if the owners don't do maintenance then toss it out the window. IMO when highly modifiying the oil should be changed at least every 2000 miles. Our cars with anything more than a stock pulley is highly modifying. I babied my car and it was cheap. Case of oil on hand and case of filters. If any of you owned a drag car, after a weekend race you go home and drop all the fluids. The same should go for your car when it was treated like in a race during the week or weekend. Most don't realize a weekend race is only 4-9 passes down the quarter mile. 2-3 qualifying runs and the rest for eliminations if you keep winning. 5 spirited stop light runs equal that. It's all about how you treat and maintain your car.
You make a good point. Some people want the power, but aren't willing to put in the upkeep to keep it at peak performance.

I generally change mine every 5,000 miles but I haven't been to the track since early last fall and changed my oil pretty soon after. Which reminds me, time to change the plugs and oil this weekend. Knew it was coming up soon, but with a free weekend might as well do it.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

I'd be curious to see how many raced. Besides JTurkel I never seen seen any C32's racing at the big mb events. Now mod they did, maybe Zahanma can track down the common mods each car had done. How many blown 3.2L SC motors is that now in both C32 and SRT6? I still say those top speed spirited runs are more dangerous than the 1/4 mile.

Couldn't agree with you more on the top speed runs. People getting up to 160mph on a cold engine...yikes! And also agree about fluids. I still do that with my cars. Full syn change before and after the race. Plugs every other oil change...etc

Man, I want to put that on a banner. We had someone ask for a pulley and tune, only to then realize he was 15k PAST his last oil change. Some people just will never learn. Just do a search on the mbworld boards and see a few people put 85 octane in their car to save money while also running pullies and other mods!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
You seem to be insinuating it was the tune... he specifically states that he was cruising on the highway doing 80 no hard accel, no WOT when the engine failed. Sorry but that is not likely the tune.

...I am not condoning the actions of this if it is in fact the tune. I am all about the truth, but there is a lot of speculating in that thread.

I will be the first to admit (well after cruzin) that the track numbers show InMotion to be faster than Eurocharged, but no need to bash either. Facts are one thing, slander is another.

Cruzin, nothing against you at all for posting this information. The guys on mbworld.org have a terrible reputation for jumping to conclusions and I didn't want to see that start here. Your post was purely informative and for that I thank you. I hadn't seen that thread til you posted it.
No I just thought it was interesting and even more interesting that none of you had posted it here yet. I haven't been on MBWorld in many moons, since all the big dogs stop racing. It's fading away, and I'm leaving with them. Going old school and racing ol' fashioned race cars.

Just for the record I've always claimed InMotion is a better tune than LET/EC for years. Yes I've also pointed out when the leaning issues came up that we would see bang from our motors. I blame the owners themselves. One for pushing the envelope and not expecting damage. Two for not monitoring their motors on their own. Kudos to those owners who have blown them and sucked it up to modding. It's hard not to get caught up in all the numbers. hp, tq, e.t.'s

Have I ever not jumped into the controversy? Had to leave one more thread before I go.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JHM2K
The synopsis I gathered was that there are several people claiming the 12.5 AFR under load is still a bit lean...
So as long as this was brought up what is the opinion on this?Is 12.5 to lean?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Couldn't agree with you more on the top speed runs. People getting up to 160mph on a cold engine...yikes! And also agree about fluids. I still do that with my cars. Full syn change before and after the race. Plugs every other oil change...etc

Man, I want to put that on a banner. We had someone ask for a pulley and tune, only to then realize he was 15k PAST his last oil change. Some people just will never learn. Just do a search on the mbworld boards and see a few people put 85 octane in their car to save money while also running pullies and other mods!
Money and brains doesn't buy common sense. Just running these cars hard with no maintenance is going to cause damage at some point. I give you a hard time, but I know it's the consumers fault. If people want a reliable engine, then don't change anything. Why are they surprised when something goes wrong? You'll be tuning way past my time here. Good luck in the future.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by hawksview
So as long as this was brought up what is the opinion on this?Is 12.5 to lean?
You have to see a data log to understand what your asking. Or more so the details of your question. At what gear or rpm do I consider that safe? I'll leave it to the experts. WOT running through the gears is when you should be observing the AFR, not normal driving.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

You have to see a data log to understand what your asking. Or more so the details of your question. At what gear or rpm do I consider that safe? I'll leave it to the experts. WOT running through the gears is when you should be observing the AFR, not normal driving.
I agree 100%.WOT was what i was looking at.We just installed a downpipe and wideband on my sons srt4 this weekend.At idle the afr was around 14.7.At WOT it was around 11.7.I know on those cars it is recommended you stay under 12 at wot.Just didnt know if that number would pertain to our motor or not

Quick Reply: Interesting thread on MBWorld