Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Mechanical/Electrical problem?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mechanical/Electrical problem?

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']So I was driving in to work this morning on a windy little country road. I was playing with the auto stick or whatever they call it... 1st, 2nd, 3rd... than it wouldn’t shift out of 3rd. I put it in N than back to D. the gear indicator read D but the car didn’t seem to be shifting up or down. I parked the car turned it off and when I restarted it everything was back to normal. [/FONT]
[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Any Ideas? [/FONT]

Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical/Electrical problem?

This is a link from a recent thread started by 32krazy:

Mercedes-Benz 722.6 Transmission FAQ - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Read through it-there's a wealth of info, and your issue sounds familiar...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might have low fluid level. My car was doing this at first then it got to the point when I accelerated hard it would pop out of gear completely and I would have to stop and restart it. I found it was caused from low fluid level from the leaky connector plug. It's a common problem with the NAG 1 transmission.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Well I just dropped it off with my mechanic. It was scheduled to be inspected today anyway (since I bought it out of state). If it’s a fluid level problem he should catch that.

And thanks for the link to the transmission blog.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Default Limp Home Mode

So I was checking out the Mercedes forum on the 722.6 transmision and this is what I learned.

FYI:
When the ETC detects intermittent or active problems, it prohibits gear shifting, in order to avoid serious transmission damage. "LIMP HOME MODE"

"There are two different types of Limp Home modes, depending how serious the problems are. The names of these two different Limp Home modes may sound counter-intuitive but that is what Mercedes used.

Mechanical-hydraulic emergency running mode
(This is the light duty Limp Home)

In this Limp Home mode, the transmission locks onto the 3rd gear or the last known “good” gear.

This particular Limp Home mode can be reset by turning the ignition off and then on.

This mode could set generic OBD II code and also intermittent code in the ETC.

Electric emergency running mode (This is the bad boy )

In this Limp Home mode, the gear engaged at that time is retained and the assigned fault code is stored. After a shutdown, wait for more than 10 seconds, and restart, the transmission is locked in the 2nd gear and reverse gear only. When the shifter is moved from “P” to “R” or “N” to “D”, there is a huge clunk.

The transmission will be in this mode until the codes are cleared from the ETC by Mercedes HHT (Hand Held Tester) or SDS (Star Diagnostic System) or some third party special scanners or even the reversely engineered ones. Generic OBD II scanners cannot clear these codes from the ETC (although they can clear the corresponding generic OBD II codes).

When the transmission is in this “electric” Limp Home mode, it feels like it is completely shot. Many times (actually I will go out the limb and say most of the time) you do not need a rebuilt transmission or a new ETC."