Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Tweaked Stock Intake Manifolds from needswings

Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tweaked Stock Intake Manifolds from needswings

I got the bug again.

Did a search and I'm amazed more information isn't available on these. What sort of gains could one expect from this mod? I already have the NW duals so I'd like to get a feel for if the mod is worth it or not. Looking for a 5-10 HP advantage over stock manifolds.

SRT6 / SLK32 / C32 Tweaked Stock Intake Manifolds

Claim is 255-260cfm @ 28 In. of H2O for 1 manifold, stock. Compare this to the tweaked manifold at 330 cfm. They also have new better flowing manifolds (about 485 cfm each) but for 2x the price. Doubtful I could justify the $$$ for this one, but may do so for the tweaked stockers if the performance gain was worth it.

My guess is there's a bit of marketing fluff on the high end manifolds... I believe the airflow claims but we all know the engine can only suck up so much air, 330 vs 485 cfm looks great but if engine can flow only at 300 cfm the 330's will obviously suffice.

Also, is this mod dependent on bigger headers, or would I see an improvement regardless?

Thoughts?

Last edited by mjgroves; 04-26-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tweaked Stock Intake Manifolds from needswings

rob has no need for any hype. his n/w manis are the baddest manis on the planet for these cars. they will outflow and out power any other set on the market. if you want big power and low et's get the manis. if you want less power but more than oem the modded oems are decent .

think of it the same way the intakes you installed made a difference over the oem boxes.
btw he flow charted all the intakes and manis. thats why theres no hype. the proof is in the #'s both on the dyne and the track

Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
rob has no need for any hype. his n/w manis are the baddest manis on the planet for these cars. they will outflow and out power any other set on the market. if you want big power and low et's get the manis. if you want less power but more than oem the modded oems are decent .

think of it the same way the intakes you installed made a difference over the oem boxes.
btw he flow charted all the intakes and manis. thats why theres no hype. the proof is in the #'s both on the dyne and the track
Oh, I wasn't doubting his claims at all. I was looking for power numbers from people who have actually purchased and installed this mod, both the NW beefy manifolds and the modded stock manis. CFM improvements look amazing, just wondering how much this contributes to increased HP numbers.

(Thanks for the input krazy!!)

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mjgroves
Oh, I wasn't doubting his claims at all. I was looking for power numbers from people who have actually purchased and installed this mod, both the NW beefy manifolds and the modded stock manis. CFM improvements look amazing, just wondering how much this contributes to increased HP numbers.

(Thanks for the input krazy!!)
there are only a handful of modified ones out there. Rob was working a set to run some numbers against his manis. I have never heard how that project panned out. 240 did his last set for me, before he moved on. So, unless Rob is going to manufacture some, there aren't anymore.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw a thread on MBWorld not too long ago. But it was mostly pictures and members telling him he wasted his money. I may eventually go there, but what I really want is the ported heads.

Les

Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
there are only a handful of modified ones out there. Rob was working a set to run some numbers against his manis. I have never heard how that project panned out. 240 did his last set for me, before he moved on. So, unless Rob is going to manufacture some, there aren't anymore.
Is this what you're talking about doc?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...32hp-25tq.html

I'm assuming these are the modified stock manis comparable to the ones rob sells. If so, those are some very impressive HP/TQ gains.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Is this what you're talking about doc?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...32hp-25tq.html

I'm assuming these are the modified stock manis comparable to the ones rob sells. If so, those are some very impressive HP/TQ gains.
yes sir....sorry I didn't see your original link...

I knew Rob was working on these awhile back and hadn't heard back from him. Looks like he has them done, and has done his numbers. They look really good. I supplied Sheldon (240) a set and he modified them for me. Rob has taken them a step further as you can see.

Last edited by oledoc2u; 04-26-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Forum Regular

Let me rephrase my original question.

In my eyes, if these tweaked manifolds provide upwards of say, 15-20HP you would think it would be talked about quite often on the forums. And by quite often I mean more than not at all. I haven't seen any mention of these things since I've been a member and you have to go way back to find posts about it. Especially considering the total cost would be around $700, which is well within the realm of the big 3 mods ($800 NW dual, $800 for 185 pulley, $500 for tune).

I'm just confused why this mod isn't talked about more. Where are the numbers!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aside from Doc and 240, I only know of one other set of the modified plenums..... mine...

I am very happy with them and they do add power... the surprising thing to me was that my max boost with the stock plenums was hitting 21-22PSI... after I got the modded plenums I was hitting 18-19PSI with better track performance....

I cant give you numbers because I didnt do a before and after with just the plenum change.... I did a write up back when I got them...have to search for it..

I would guess the reason you dont here much talk about these is that there are only a few sets out there (that I know of).. when 240 offered to do these, nobody wanted to get them. I have been running mine for almost 2 years and didnt know until a few weeks ago that Rob was selling them now.... wish he was doing them when I got mine....

edit: Here is the link.... and it does have hp/trq numbers

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...manifolds.html

Last edited by MikeR; 04-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

hello, yes we can still make the tweaked manifolds, they are just not as beefy as the full replacements due to the totally reworked plenum chamber. we finally decided to do up the tweaked stockers for some c32 guys and they will also work on the slk32 and srt6's (hench they are losted under all 3 cars on our website). personally im not going to pull off the full replacement manifolds and install the tweaked ones on my car, no sense in moving backwards as i know the monster gains we get from the full replacement mani's and can see from the flow data that they are not as efficient.

The tweaked mani's are a fairly new product for us and i do not have any dyno results for them yet, once i do it will be listed on our site in the product description. they are designed for the guy that wants to go faster but our full replacements are out of the mod budget. we spend a lot of time and money on the flowbench as we can see exactly what is going on thru the parts. you guys dont get to hear about the many parts i have designed that have not faired well on the flowbench since they never go to market. there is no cheating the flow bench, i include the bench's flow rate at the time of measurement so there isnt any room for vaugeness.

now back to the tweaked mani's, they are very nice, look great, very few weld seams, professionally ported and coated, just not the volume of the big dogs.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeR
Aside from Doc and 240, I only know of one other set of the modified plenums..... mine...

I am very happy with them and they do add power... the surprising thing to me was that my max boost with the stock plenums was hitting 21-22PSI... after I got the modded plenums I was hitting 18-19PSI with better track performance....

I cant give you numbers because I didnt do a before and after with just the plenum change.... I did a write up back when I got them...have to search for it..

I would guess the reason you dont here much talk about these is that there are only a few sets out there (that I know of).. when 240 offered to do these, nobody wanted to get them. I have been running mine for almost 2 years and didnt know until a few weeks ago that Rob was selling them now.... wish he was doing them when I got mine....

Mike I experienced the same boost numbers with Needswings mani's. Since I have never raced mine I can't speak to the track preformance but I can say that the car explodes out out of the turns in the twisties and I have a big grin on my face just thinking about that feeling. I am extreamly pleased with my purchases from Needswings.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 PM

I'm afraid to update my mani's since the car is running strong as it is. My car seems to run better with more restriction and my numbers don't lie. Don't want to take any chances of slowing my baby down.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tweaked manis should be good for 15-20hp when i asked Rob. U may be better of being patient and eventually going with the full replacements so that you dont regret it in the future

Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
hello, yes we can still make the tweaked manifolds, they are just not as beefy as the full replacements due to the totally reworked plenum chamber. we finally decided to do up the tweaked stockers for some c32 guys and they will also work on the slk32 and srt6's (hench they are losted under all 3 cars on our website). personally im not going to pull off the full replacement manifolds and install the tweaked ones on my car, no sense in moving backwards as i know the monster gains we get from the full replacement mani's and can see from the flow data that they are not as efficient.

The tweaked mani's are a fairly new product for us and i do not have any dyno results for them yet, once i do it will be listed on our site in the product description. they are designed for the guy that wants to go faster but our full replacements are out of the mod budget. we spend a lot of time and money on the flowbench as we can see exactly what is going on thru the parts. you guys dont get to hear about the many parts i have designed that have not faired well on the flowbench since they never go to market. there is no cheating the flow bench, i include the bench's flow rate at the time of measurement so there isnt any room for vaugeness.

now back to the tweaked mani's, they are very nice, look great, very few weld seams, professionally ported and coated, just not the volume of the big dogs.
Thanks for commenting Rob! The C32 guys have AMG labeled manis as you already know, how's the swap going to work if I have SRT manifolds?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for commenting Rob! The C32 guys have AMG labeled manis as you already know, how's the swap going to work if I have SRT manifolds?
the manis are identical just different badging. the design and the porting are all the same srt or amg. im sure rob has a set or 2 of srt manis waiting to go!

i think the main reason there wasn't much talk about this was because its farther down the mod scale for most. after pulleys tunes intakes people start looking for smaller inc in hp because it gets harder to get bigger #. so headers and manis come to mind if the folks want to pony up the $$$. myself i never wanted the dual cai or the manis because i loved the way the mercedes airboxes and manis looked. 1 ride in 13dogs car after he installed the dual cai from rob and i then knew what the fuss was about! now im searching for a used set of robs manis' as well

Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

i have spare cores for both

Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
i have spare cores for both
Well, Rob, is this with a core, or out right buy...after I get the guages from you and installed, I think we may have to put a set of those on the roadster....

Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Tweaked Stock Intake Manifolds from needswings

Originally Posted by MikeR

Hey Mike FYI, i got a set of amg's from 240.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Forum Regular

I went back through and read the threads about 240's modded manifolds... and I'm still confused why boost decreases even though there's a clear increase in HP and torque. My brain is saying, "wait, less boost should be bad"... it needs a scientific explanation.

Also, I have a LET tune for the C3 pulley and NW dual, would I need to be retuned if I purchased these tweaked manis?

Thanks all for the responses!

Last edited by mjgroves; 04-28-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the drop in boost is due to the better flow of air... better air flow increases power.....

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quick Reply: Tweaked Stock Intake Manifolds from needswings