Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Cold trip to the Dragon

Old 12-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold trip to the Dragon

For some reason I woke up early Sunday morning around 6:30. Not normal for me. Decided to run out and get me a breakfast biscuit. The car just wanted to keep driving. Next thing I know, I'm driving over Fort Mountain, GA through the curvies. Next onward to Ellijay, Blueridge, GA then up to Murphy, NC. The Dragon (Hwy 129) was too close to be ignored. Temperature was around 35 degrees. There was inversion happening, it was actually warmer the higher you went up in elevation. Still cold enough to make incredible power with the 181 pulley and cai. The 295 pirelli rosso's stuck great in the back. They don't add much to straight line traction, I can still spin them at 50 mph but through the twisties the back end stayed stuck. I rode with the windows down and the heat on high, to listen to the engine and the exhaust (no resonator).

I am always extremely respectful of all who drive around me and I'm very careful to engage in enthusiastic driving only when no one else is around. I only encountered two vehicles as lap traffic. One very respectful, pulling over as he could see I running the dragon. He even waved as he pulled over in a pull off area. I never ride people bumpers or flash my lights as I would never want someone to do this to me. As most of you know, passing at the Dragon can be very hard to do as straight stretches are limited. The second vehicle was an SUV from Florida. It was running around 15 mph. As I approached, he moved over the centerline about 2 feet making it dangerous to pass. I did not ride his bumper nor did anything to provoke such a response besides driving a car that looked fast. He was just an A$$. I patiently waited until there was a long stretch uphill and he bobbled back into his lane. As I went around him, he tried to force me off the road. I nearly went into the gravel as he came over on me. Luckily, passing took all of two seconds. I believe he has as much right to drive on the road as I do, but to do as he did is dangerous. I couldn't imagine what would have happened if someone was coming in the opposite direction with him riding in the opposite lane. Not to put down Florida folks, but we get alot of people from Florida that vacation up here. The mountains are beautiful. From some reason, I have encountered a disrespectful attitude several times from vacationers and second homers. In most cases, these guys are not from Florida but transplants. They retire in Florida, and buy a vacation home in the mountains. When the housing/economic bubble burst there were thousands of defaults from these guys. Closed down one of the local banks. I guess I'm rambling, long story short, be respectful on the road. It works both ways.

All in all, it was a very fun impromptu road trip. Burnt a whole tank of fuel in about 6 hours of driving. Sometimes the unplanned trips are the most fun. I was back home by 2pm and had me a jacuzzi bath and a nap. Overall great day.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cold trip to the Dragon

Sounds like great fun and I agree that the unplanned road trips can be special. Just a Kid and his SRT!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Cold trip to the Dragon

me to ,I think the unplanned trips are the best,,, as for the Florida driver,,, next time you have a encounter with one ,,yell out " why don't you go back to where you come from, cause i know no one from Florida drives that bad" jim

Ps all lanes are for some what good drivers "Left lane is for great drivers.

lesson in driving

At night Never drive in left lane ,unless you can see the tail lights of a car in front of you that is in the left lane( use the left lane for passing only) reason is a drunk or impaired or sometimes old and forgot how to drive person) would /could get on to the highway going in the wrong direction,,, which lane do they go to because they are driving inparied,,,right lane,, yes ,, but that is your left lane ,,head on here we come,,, it has happened about 70 times through out the U.S. they have proven the wrong way driver was in the fast lane= your left lane,,, drive fast but safe. jim