Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Demon Rattle - I have tried everything

Old 07-03-2023, 12:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Demon Rattle - I have tried everything

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that and see if O2 sensors are loose. But, I don't hear this noise up the line that far. Sure sounds like something in the resonator, but I am open to other things that could be the cause. It is one of the reasons I joined this forum so many years ago. Good people and good ideas about stuff that could be causing some particular problem or other.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:45 PM
Received 459 Likes on 222 Posts

Yeah, it sounded like it was under the car, and even slightly to the rear. Surprised me when it was found.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:52 PM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that and see if O2 sensors are loose. But, I don't hear this noise up the line that far. Sure sounds like something in the resonator, but I am open to other things that could be the cause. It is one of the reasons I joined this forum so many years ago. Good people and good ideas about stuff that could be causing some particular problem or other.

Have you checked the rear chassis stabilizer bar mounts? Some reported similar noises in the past.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:27 PM

I'll give that a look see. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-04-2023, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's interesting how mechanical noise in the exhaust system can completely permeate the car. In de CLK we had part of the catalitic converter that started to rattle. It was particularly pronounced when accelerating, and completely in-audible when cruising. Probably an internal waver flapping under load. It initially sounded like water that sometimes collects in the exhaust but this sound grew over time, but only under acceleration. The embarrassing part was that I had to go to a local shop and like a complete nitwit tell them with a straight face: my car makes a noise?

I seriously wonder how many times they get that question.

Just for laughs I may go to the dealer where I bought my xfire. It also has a rattle. I hear it sometimes when making a sharp turn. If I turn right, I will hear it once, but not on subsequent turns. That is, until I turn sharply in the other direction. It distinctly sounds like small plastic pieces or bolts rolling left to right and right to left. Extremely annoying. At first I thought it was in the glovebox, or perhaps something wasn't properly connected in the console.

But then I received my Windschott windscreen. You know, the one you mount on the two coathangers at the backwall? Well, it turns out that there are supposed to be square hooks at the back of those hangers. Both are broken off... I think I know what is causing the rattle.

It would be funny to go to the dealer and tell them about an annoying noise, acting totally oblivious to what might be causing it. Then when they have completely dismounted the entire interior, I'll take the opportunity to solve the AC fan, do the speaker mod, and do whatever else requires attention and only then point them to the backwall...

Is there anything behind the backwall that requires attention? Let me know, might as well put that on the list too. ;-)

Old 07-04-2023, 11:28 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

The fuel tank is back there.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:49 PM

Were it the case that the dealer I bought my srt6 from was still in business, I'd be inclined to have them take a look. However, dealer support for the Crossfire line ended some few years ago.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:12 PM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

The best advice for the MOST PART (unless you have GOBBS of $ to throw away, then go ahead) , is to "STAY AWAY FROM A CHRYSLER DEALERSHIP", Period!

Old 07-05-2023, 12:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, yes, just to be clear: when I wrote dealer I meant the local shop where I bought my car. The owner is a former MB dealership mechanic. He had 2 crossfires for sale at the time, probably because he knows what they really are. Fortunately for me, we don't have a Chrysler dealership in the Netherlands, so I wouldn't even be able to make that mistake...

Oh, and as for the local MB dealership in my hometown, well, let's just say that I prefer to ignore their existence.

The following users liked this post:
GraphiteGhost (07-05-2023)