Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Please Help

Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

Guys and Gals. Let me spare a moment of your time.
I'm 17 and all I've thought about for the last three years was an srt6 as my dream car. I've been saving every penny I could, in hopes of buying my all time favorite car. As I'm getting closer and closer to having enough money, working two jobs now six days a week; my father is also getting more and more serious about this purchase...

We just test drove one yesterday and the man who owned it immediately declared this car is too fast for me because of my age. That automatically scared my dad. My dad loves everything else about the car, just because the guy said its fast; my dad is rethinking this entire thing.

I honestly don't think it's fair that the declaration of one man should completely negate my years of saving and researching. To help sway the opinion of my dad, i was hoping some of you could give me some ideas to tell him to help persuade him

Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Default Re: Please Help

What cars have you owned/driven so far? Have you ever wrecked a car? How long have you been driving?

I do think there are a few years of testing how fast you can go around corners both dry and wet before fully understanding how vehicles will react. I happened to do all of my wrecking in a 500hp 1984 mustang with horrible handling and a rear end that liked to come out from behind the car without warning. This was when I was 17.......

If you are really responsible and don't have to push the edge like I did then you will probably be just fine especially with the srt6 becuase of how well it responds with handling and how predictable the drivetrain is. It is a mercedes.

Everything is relative though.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 PM

I've been driving for 35 years and nearly got in trouble the 1st day of ownership. After driving an NA for 3 yesrs I wasn't ready for the breath-taking acceleration of the SRT.

It was the superb handling of the car that saved the day.

Now, I've acclimated and am ready for some power mods.

To your point, if I had an SRT when I was 17, I probably wouldn't be here today.
Some kids are level-headed, patient and responsible. Some aren't.
Which one are you?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM

I've never been close to being in a wreck. And I have a ford ranger now. I only have one speeding ticket and it was after passing someone.

My view is that if I've put so much effort and determination into getting this car, wouldn't it only make sense that I'll treat it accordingly? I'm not going to go race people, or fly around town. I have great respect for the car and I understand how quick it really is. I trust myself completely.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenEbbs
I've never been close to being in a wreck. And I have a ford ranger now. I only have one speeding ticket and it was after passing someone.

My view is that if I've put so much effort and determination into getting this car, wouldn't it only make sense that I'll treat it accordingly? I'm not going to go race people, or fly around town. I have great respect for the car and I understand how quick it really is. I trust myself completely.
Pretty much everyone will get in an accident sometime due to inexperience or poor driving. I usually laugh at parents who buy nice cars for their kids because its almost inevitably going to get damaged or worse...

However, to your point: the fact that you are saving your own money, working hard just so you can purchase your dream car... I think you've got a better argument than most teens...

That being said, you will definitely get yourself in trouble with that car, its just a matter of being safe while you get into that trouble and not endangering yourself or others...

Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Beep
I've been driving for 35 years and nearly got in trouble the 1st day of ownership. After driving an NA for 3 yesrs I wasn't ready for the breath-taking acceleration of the SRT.

It was the superb handling of the car that saved the day.

Now, I've acclimated and am ready for some power mods.

To your point, if I had an SRT when I was 17, I probably wouldn't be here today.
Some kids are level-headed, patient and responsible. Some aren't.
Which one are you?
This is a key question. Your dad is a good dad. I'd never let my son have one at 17. 18-21 is worse though. Never drink and drive any car, especially fast cars--this one.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not start off in a n/a? Both cheaper and not much slower... At 17 I would say that the srt-speed is too much. Unless you have been driving gocart and track since being a toddler. You getting into f1-f3 or nascar?
My tip, buy a n/a, drive it for 2 years and then upgrade. Even then the srt step is huge... (contradiction from first sentence)
Be careful whatever you decide to do. Did your dad drive it aswell? Go test a n/a! Just my 0.02$

Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Forum Regular

Ben -
You've asked the tough question and you've gotten truthful answers. It's a lot of hp for a 17-year old no matter how responsible you are.
One component that was not brought up is the cost of repairs. Some of the owners might want to share the extent of that expense with you.

I don't have an SRT-6. So, I can't speak to the power. I know that I am impressed with the responsiveness of the Limited Roadster. She cruises very nicely on the interstate and passes others just as fast as I need her to!

Stay safe.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, I think it's great you have saved your money and have made it a goal of your's to buy the car. I commend you on your efforts and I think if you apply this throughout your life you'lll be driving a lot of nice cars throughout your life. Second, while you seem responsible, you are still 17 years old. Maybe you are a mauture 17 year old, but you still don't have a lot of experience --- at least not as much as we expect you might need with a car this powerful. I know even at my age I still love the thrill of speed and driving fast. I have a N/A Limited Coupe and I can tell you it's still pretty darn quick and exiherating to drive and I have to hold myself in check often. I check myself primarily because of my experience.........recoginzing the potential for disaster under varying conditions. At 17, little fear and lot's of chances. With that said, I'd say you may want to consider the option others have presented. If you are going to get a sports car, start with a N/A Limited. It's still fast, handles great, looks pretty much the same as an SRT (I personally don't like the whate tale spoiler on an SRT anyway) will likely be easier to maintain, cost you a little less in insurance (bonus) and you can mod it if you like for a little extra power for when you are ready for it.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

C'mon guys, it's a Mercedes SLK, not a Koenigsegg. Whilst it's moderately quick in a straight line, it's not the sort of car that's always trying to find new and creative ways to kill its occupants. Sure, if you boot it on a wet roundabout then the back end will overtake the front, but that's to be expected. The detached handling means you'll tend not to be pushing the boundaries of grip in the corners.

However if you're having to save up to buy one, then it's definitely not the car for you. Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK everything about this car is expensive. I've had mine for 18 months, and have spent a significant portion of the purchase price just keeping it working properly and on the road.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Why not get an insurance quote on both cars and see what the insurance industry thinks of your choice. Run a 2005 NA and a 2005 SRT by them for quoting. The NA is cheaper to run gas wise as well.

If you like driving then a 6 speed manual transmission in a Limited may be just what you need. I have an SRT and I had a 6 speed 2004 before and it was very nice.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Tell your Dad to remember that is only a two seater, therefore you won't have "peer group pressure" from backseat drivers encouraging acts of stupidity..

Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Two more points in addition to all mentioned. Everything happens for a reason, including the initial comment about your age that put you in this place. Also, more colors in the NA! I'd taked the NA route. See if you even like the car. Who knows, it might be too small for you. Will it be a daily driver?

My car stories from high school would make you realize that I'm lucky to be alive and my car was only a 250 hp Eagle Talon TSI. My friend had a VR4 and almost died several times messing around. Just too much power. The power of these cars won't even touch a mildly modded SRT. It would be like driving an older Dodge Viper. Would you let your son have one at 17?!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I bought the car when I was 19. Ive had it almost 2 years now.. no wrecks.. no speeding tickets but I have had to put a lot of money into it.. Intercooler pump, seal that leaks transmission fluid, and my rear end went out. and i only have 16k miles on mine ( really hard miles). Plus upgrades are very hard to resist and can be pricey. Ive put about $5500 into my car since i bought it.
But i love the car and would do it all over again

Last edited by branimal; 05-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Im 20 and the N/A is plenty good enough power. I have had 4 other cars so far(That I saved for and bought myself also) and driven tons from a 80's rabbit pickup to a '06 sti. You wont be dissapointed on power from the N/A, around town its plenty quick enough. The main reason I am ok that I didnt buy a SRT is the stick. All of my cars have been and will be manual, except of course for my wife's vehicles. Besides, you can buy a N/A and get used to it then jump on the BEGi turbo down the road if your not satisfied.

In any case good luck and be safe.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Forum Regular

Nonsense...........my second car (in 1968) was a 63 Plymouth Savoy with a 426 RamWedge in it ( was 18)...I paid for it myself; never hit anything; and had to pay for the weekly tune ups the damn thing required.

I say: Get whatever car you want......be careful........and you'll be OK.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my SRT at 20. Started power-adders at 21 and haven't stopped. Responsibility is the key issue here. Irresponsible teens will get into trouble no matter what they drive; fact is that all cars are capable of speeding. Take my brother, for instance. He wrapped a 94 Civic sedan with maybe 100 hp around a huge oak tree. Now, it can certainly be argued that a more powerful car would have hit the tree harder; but, again, a responsible driver that knows his/her own limits as well as those of the car would not be in that situation in the first place.
I'd say do what it takes to get what you want. If an SRT has caught your eye, make it happen!
If you do get it (I hope you do) I suggest doing what I did when I got my newest motorcycle; approach it with the assumption that it will kick your a$$ if you mistreat or under estimate it.
Start slow and reserved, slowly pick up the pace.
Good luck.
PS. Stay away from the Sprint Booster for now, That almost got me in trouble when I installed this weekend

Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Im 20 and the N/A is plenty good enough power. I have had 4 other cars so far(That I saved for and bought myself also) and driven tons from a 80's rabbit pickup to a '06 sti. You wont be dissapointed on power from the N/A, around town its plenty quick enough. The main reason I am ok that I didnt buy a SRT is the stick. All of my cars have been and will be manual, except of course for my wife's vehicles. Besides, you can buy a N/A and get used to it then jump on the BEGi turbo down the road if your not satisfied.

In any case good luck and be safe.
Have to agree with this one. Done my share of wheel spins and sliding sideways around corners in other cars and the ability of the NA itself can do this without really trying to. Just today pulling into work, rounding the corner at about 20 mph and throttling modestly sent her sliding around the corner..tranny slapsticked into second gear. Could have easily done at least a 180 if I'd have jumped in it. NA leaves you cash in your pocket.. get used to the car (and save more money while you enjoy) then decide if you want more..and add a Turbo. You should still come out under the price of the 6 with "reportedly" near 6 performance.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Downunder
Tell your Dad to remember that is only a two seater, therefore you won't have "peer group pressure" from backseat drivers encouraging acts of stupidity..
You don't need backseat drivers encouraging acts of stupidity. They always manage to find their way beside you at a red light.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by BenEbbs
I honestly don't think it's fair that the declaration of one man should completely negate my years of saving and researching. To help sway the opinion of my dad, i was hoping some of you could give me some ideas to tell him to help persuade him
You'll shoot your eye out Kid!

Last edited by BrianBrave; 05-01-2012 at 12:28 PM.