Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Srt 6 buying help with price

Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Srt 6 buying help with price

Hey guys new to the forums here i just needed some advice. I been talking to a guy that is selling a srt 6 crossfire that is 113 miles from my house. In his ad he describes the car with 13,000 miles as being always garage kept and pampered, his price is 17,250 bottom line firm.
The day before I go out to look at the car he tells me I will send you a few pictures with the damage we had talked about (a conversation we never had) consisting of a scrape with grooves in the plastic of the bumper on the driver side angled point of the ground effect. When i get out there i notice the same thing on the other side but worse and long scratches that go underneath the front bumper. He also mentioned that the headlights were starting to haze. Now i'm still interested in the car but having second opinions about the price because i have no clue how much it would cost to fix both side or i should just have a new bumper installed and painted, because it has front license plate screws and to fix 3 parts of the bumper seems like a lot of hassle for the body shop. Bascially i'm asking is this a good price with the damage that looks like someone took a cheese grater on the ground effect or should i try and bring him down to offset the price of the repair. He also has sl 55 intake installed (chrome pipes are all scratched up) Bigger intercooler and bigger intercooler pump installed. Pictures are included of the damage just need someones thoughts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0092.jpg (2.15 MB, 33 views)
IMG_0095.jpg (2.43 MB, 29 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Srt 6 buying help with price

Based on the mods done, I'd say there's a good chance that he's a member of this forum too !!!

I'd find that out first and try to work it out with him.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Raygt3
Hey guys new to the forums here i just needed some advice. I been talking to a guy that is selling a srt 6 crossfire that is 113 miles from my house. In his ad he describes the car with 13,000 miles as being always garage kept and pampered, his price is 17,250 bottom line firm.
The day before I go out to look at the car he tells me I will send you a few pictures with the damage we had talked about (a conversation we never had) consisting of a scrape with grooves in the plastic of the bumper on the driver side angled point of the ground effect. When i get out there i notice the same thing on the other side but worse and long scratches that go underneath the front bumper. He also mentioned that the headlights were starting to haze. Now i'm still interested in the car but having second opinions about the price because i have no clue how much it would cost to fix both side or i should just have a new bumper installed and painted, because it has front license plate screws and to fix 3 parts of the bumper seems like a lot of hassle for the body shop. Bascially i'm asking is this a good price with the damage that looks like someone took a cheese grater on the ground effect or should i try and bring him down to offset the price of the repair. He also has sl 55 intake installed (chrome pipes are all scratched up) Bigger intercooler and bigger intercooler pump installed. Pictures are included of the damage just need someones thoughts.
Although I love to see high prices for these cars...I still think if you are going to ask at the top of the selling price, it needs to be flawless. I would think those repairs to MY satisfaction would be near the 1K area. I had my front bumper cover painted, but not replaced and it was half that from a friend. He has modded the car but you never expect to get the price of your mods back, at least not all of it. I love to see the guy get his price, but to be fair with you, you have some bargaining power as well. Good luck to you both....

Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the speedy response! Well the guy has been kinda sketchy with selling it. It kinda seems like he was rushing me into buying it telling me he was going taking it to a dealership (who then later he said they offered him 16,500 the same price i first offered him) then the dealership needed to send out a special appraiser from pittsburg..... who turned out to be not to be an appraiser but another buyer and now he is in negotiation's with him but i can have it if i really want it. I wouldn't hesitate if it was just the one driver side but the damage is worse on the other side that i didn't even know about before the drive. It kinda messes me up because i was going to buy a clear bra to put on the front but, i don't know if i will have the funds to do all this now because if i am going to get it done, i'm gonna do it by a shop that i know is very skilled.

Last edited by Raygt3; 09-16-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like the bumper could be painted from the seam down to save some $ that is if you can live with a front plate. If that is the only flaw with the car then the price seems fair for a low mileage car, IMO...................just look what their asking for a Limited in my neck of the woods:

http://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/ebroch...df090dd51e8701

Last edited by bluecoupe; 09-16-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like he's using some old used car salesman tricks haha

as far as the bumper goes, I bought a new SRT bumper for under $300 and got it painted (along with parts of a Carbon Fiber hood, rear spoiler and grill) for $400... so figure about $700 if you go with replacing the whole front, if you can find a cheap bumper

Old 09-16-2012, 05:37 PM

I cant tell if the bumper looks deformed from an impact i was too in shock from seeing more damage and missing paint. I had my dad with me too distracting me, I should have taken more pictures.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM

The plastic actually has grooves in it tho, It would be more than just sand and paint maybe a little bondo would have to be applied. Edit One more paint damage rear

Attached Images
photo-1.jpg (59.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Raygt3; 09-16-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM

The plastic actually has grooves in it tho, It would be more than just sand and paint maybe a little bondo would have to be applied. Edit One more paint damage rear
From what I see in the pix, it looks like curb rash to me. If that's the case, I can tell you from experience, it's not a huge deal. I removed my bumper cover and repaired curb rash, filled the front license plate mounting holes and fixed a "huge" hole caused by the fog light dropping down and burning a spot in the cover. The $700 figure should be pretty close for a body shop to do the work.

Now as far as the price... I think you would be able to find a comparable car for $16K or LESS. Don't make the mistake of jumping at the first one. Granted, there are some mods to the car, but how do you know they were done right? I'd rather buy an unmodified car and do it myself. Check Edmunds for a fair market value. DO NOT USE Kelly prices.

Is he willing to provide a CarFax report? How many owners? Any wrecks? Take your time and be a hard-*** when negotiating.....

Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular

With the damage and the 'pressure' the guy's giving you.......I'd pass. You'll be able to get one cheaper than that if you look harder.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM

He said he took it to a private certified mercedes benz mechanic located in northern jeresy and has the paper work (I didn't ask to see it). As far as looking around for another srt there were ones that were for sale a lot closer but had more miles on them but this was about a year ago before I "wore my dad down" into letting me get one (living at home). I'm kinda set on the Sapphire Silver Blue tho.... like i said I'm afraid to negotiate the price lower because he already delisted it from auto trader and he can always go to the other people that were interested. I have been wanting to get one with low miles so thats a factor for me also. I also forgot to ask him to show me where he parks the thing to make sure there wasn't anything leaking. Oh how it is to be young an inexperienced.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular

I have sold cars for years and the minute you GIVE up the option of walking away---They HAVE you---REMEMBER THIS---YOU have the money---There are other cars out there.

I bought a PERFECT gray SRT6 with 917 miles for $19,650 just over two years ago now. The cars are older and banks will only loan so much on a 2005. Higher prices are great for the ones that own them to a point and that point is you will only get it with cash or high down payment buyers---Mine was perfect like it should have been with under 1000 miles and it came with fresh oil and a new battery. Deals are out there. I have see several on here lately.

Make YOUR deal---If he has played games with you, the car may have something else going on---Have it checked out---YOU do this---YOUR guy NOT his---Pay the money and you do it---Also, there are many on here that will help you with looking at cars long distance---Good luck---Jimmy!!!

Like I said---I have sold cars---Here is the MMR---Manheim Market Report---Here are all the cars that have sold at auction over the last 6 weeks---This is wholesale so add A buyers fee of $200 to $250 and possible clean up, etc---Again, Good Luck!!!!

08/23/12---TAMPA-----Regular----$10,700----19,804-----Avg---BLACK
08/15/12---SEATTLE---Regular----$14,250----29,450--Above---GRAY
08/24/12---PA----------Regular----$11,700----41,297-----Avg---BLUE
09/05/12---DENVER----Lease------$10,300----64,148-----Avg---BLACK
08/28/12---ARENA IL---Regular----$9,500-----68,297-----Avg--SILVER
07/19/12---ATLANTA---Regular---$10,300----79,673-----Avg---BLACK
07/19/12---SO CAL-----Lease------$10,000----82,445-----Avg---BLACK

Last edited by JimmyJames; 09-16-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:40 PM

... like i said I'm afraid to negotiate the price lower
Take it from an ol' horse trader, NEVER be afraid to negotiate. What's the worst he can do, say "no"? One of the best things you can do when purchasing any car is WALK AWAY. Offer him a fair price. If he says no, walk away. You'll be surprised how quickly he'll cave.

Another thing to remember, everything he says is a LIE. Keep that thought in mind when negotiating. Granted, he may be 100% honest, but I doubt it. If he's got so many other people interested, let them make the mistake and over pay. You WILL find the car you want at a fair price. If it's not this one, it will be another.

Patience my padawan learner.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rfourt
Take it from an ol' horse trader, NEVER be afraid to negotiate. What's the worst he can do, say "no"? One of the best things you can do when purchasing any car is WALK AWAY. Offer him a fair price. If he says no, walk away. You'll be surprised how quickly he'll cave.

Another thing to remember, everything he says is a LIE. Keep that thought in mind when negotiating. Granted, he may be 100% honest, but I doubt it. If he's got so many other people interested, let them make the mistake and over pay. You WILL find the car you want at a fair price. If it's not this one, it will be another.

Patience my padawan learner.
+1---LISTEN and LEARN

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Well forum member or not...sounds fishy to me. I would walk. No real car guy is going to drive around with that much damage. Hell, I get a scratch and I am at the body shop. LOL. Anyway take the advise above from guys that do a lot buying and selling. Deep scratches in that material will be hard to fix. Been there. You can paint at the break in the front fascia, but that damage looks to be above the break. Be sure to look under the car since he has rolled up on a curb or parking block or something. Make sure there isn't damage under the car as well. I would offer the guy 16.5 tops... w/ the damage, or 17.5 with all the damage repaired to your satisfaction...waive the cash....then walk away...

Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks for all your input guys I appreciate everyone taking the time out and feels as tho we can let this thread die down. I did an Auto Check and everything well checks out lol. As far as having my guy look at it i don't really have anyone in mind that I could get check it out. I think i'm gonna tell the guy that I can only do it for the 16.5 with the damages, and if he wants to dump it off at the dealer for that price after he misled me and had me come out 113 miles thats fine. I do know of place that paints cars that is pretty renowned, I will get an estimate to see if its not to high before i give him that offer.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Well forum member or not...sounds fishy to me. I would walk. No real car guy is going to drive around with that much damage. Hell, I get a scratch and I am at the body shop. LOL. Anyway take the advise above from guys that do a lot buying and selling. Deep scratches in that material will be hard to fix. Been there. You can paint at the break in the front fascia, but that damage looks to be above the break. Be sure to look under the car since he has rolled up on a curb or parking block or something. Make sure there isn't damage under the car as well. I would offer the guy 16.5 tops... w/ the damage, or 17.5 with all the damage repaired to your satisfaction...waive the cash....then walk away...
Funny---VERY true---A REAL car guy would never......And YES, never give up the power to walk.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM

To the OP: You are not capable of judging whether this private party seller is playing straight with you. From the outside, it looks to us like he is not. If you jump and are disappointed, what recourse do you have against the seller in your state? An inexperienced buyer is safer going to a dealership. I know some people spit when they say that word, but babes in the woods have more protection against unscrupulous dealers than against lying private parties.

Unless someone knowledgeable about Crossfires has examined the car and the seller, you should pass on this car. Keep looking, learn more, make some friends in the Crossfire community and hold out for the Deal. I bought my roadster two years ago with 60K on the clock for $15K from a California dealer, where we have strong lemon laws. Where will that seller be if you have a question or a problem?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM

we can let this thread die down.
Ha! He doesn't know the people on this forum very well.

We let NOTHING die. In my short time here I've seen 4 year old threads on life support get revived.