Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Can't decide. Need help.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide. Need help.

I know others have wrestled with this.
I'm going to install a CAI and likely purchase it from Rob.
I'ld like to save some $$$ with the single but don't care for how it looks as I'ld prefer something that looks factory and not rice-like.
The $1000 one is out of the question, just too much cash gone but the $800 one is pricey but doable.

Will this one equrie a fuel delivery upgrade as well?
Is it a pain to install expecially moving the power steering stuff around?

Thx for your input.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Can't decide. Need help.

In the end it's really up to you ....................if you just want some extra go, fairly simple installation, AND supercharger whine ...........go with the single, it'll flow plenty for light mods .........BUT if you really hate it's looks so much (since the hood is mostly closed) then spring for the double, BUT it's twice, if not more, work to fit, twice as expensive, and unless you're planning manifold mods later, may not give you twice the bang for the buck .................it obviously flows better, but without further mods will you get the best out of it ?
At one time Rob used to let you upgrade later if you buy the single, but I don't know if that's still true.
I've had the single for two years now, and am totally happy, and it only takes an hour or so to fit, hardest part is getting the plastic piece out from beside the radiator ........... :O)

Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The Needswings CAI is time consuming for a first timer. Moving the power steering tube is a piece of cake, replacing it, if and when you add a supercooler, for me was difficult. Peak dyno numbers were too close to make a definite statement about how many HP. The dual seems to give a bit more grunt down low. The single is all you really need, but we all want the dual, be it for the balanced look or a little extra performance. I started with the single and currently have the dual. No other upgrades are needed. I had a pulley, CAI for over a year before getting a tune and still don't have any fuel upgrades.

Les

I should add that no body can walk by the car with the hood up and grill off and not stop and stare. The visual impact of the dual is off the charts.

Last edited by velociabstract; 09-28-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
The Needswings CAI is time consuming for a first timer. Moving the power steering tube is a piece of cake, replacing it, if and when you add a supercooler, for me was difficult. Peak dyno numbers were too close to make a definite statement about how many HP. The dual seems to give a bit more grunt down low. The single is all you really need, but we all want the dual, be it for the balanced look or a little extra performance. I started with the single and currently have the dual. No other upgrades are needed. I had a pulley, CAI for over a year before getting a tune and still don't have any fuel upgrades.

Les

I should add that no body can walk by the car with the hood up and grill off and not stop and stare. The visual impact of the dual is off the charts.
I agree with everything Les posted, especially the bit in the bold. I noticed this first-hand at the races this weekend... Everybody that walked by the car, stopped for a pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01657.JPG (2.92 MB, 33 views)
DSC01654.JPG (2.86 MB, 54 views)
Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I agree with everything Les posted, especially the bit in the bold. I noticed this first-hand at the races this weekend... Everybody that walked by the car, stopped for a pic.
I really really want the dual setup.
It just sucks that there's so much extra expense and work to make it happen.
I wonder if Rob would put it on sale? I'ld pounce on it in a micro-second.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for a dual. Looks nicer!

@JHM2K, Nice with having painted the manifolds red. Silver lettering I assume?
Deciding still whether to have mine painted black, red or leave them stock...

Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by FUBU
Go for a dual. Looks nicer!

@JHM2K, Nice with having painted the manifolds red. Silver lettering I assume?
Deciding still whether to have mine painted black, red or leave them stock...
I know it sounds vain, but the single reminds me of so many Honda Civics. Just don't want to go there if it can be helped.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I splurged for the dual on my NA just because I think it looks so much better..

and there was a sale a couple months ago..

Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Can't decide. Need help.

Originally Posted by The Beep
I know it sounds vain, but the single reminds me of so many Honda Civics. Just don't want to go there if it can be helped.
Well mine has a single so you can console yourself, in the fact that you don't have to look at it, as you'll only ever see the rear of my car.
unless of course you buy the dual..........

Last edited by magredvet; 09-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

OUCH! Well, I can tell you I started out with a single....great performance and all. Then Woody and Rob came out with the dual. I thought, surely it can't perform any better, since you can only suck in so much air.... I did like the look, more symectrical, but a lot of money, to look good...but, I went for it. Rob did the install on the roadster. WELL, it turned into a breathing monster. Low end was sharper, and it even sounded mean...breathing at an idle...So, the dual was worth it to me, and the look is certainly there. Doesn't mean the single doesn't give you any performance because it does, but there is an improvement in low end...with the dual. I have a certain goal to shoot for with the cars, and I don't move forward until my budget gets there. So, if you like the dual, save up the dollars and go that way. That way you won't be disapointed. I have been 2 years saving and gathering parts for the coupe. I am 1 pulley away from having all the parts I need to start the build. So, save up, and get what you want.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by magredvet
Well mine has a single so you can console yourself, in the fact that you don't have to look at it, as you'll only ever see the rear of my car.
unless of course you buy the dual..........
I opened up the hood at a local show in Humble. A couple guys walked by and I overheard them saying how plane the engine bay looked. That show had mostly classic cars in it.

I wouldn't even bother opening the hood at Coffee and Cars next to McLarens and Lambo's, but with a dual CAI? Maybe paint the piping, intakes and catch can red. It would really look nice.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 AM

I opened up the hood at a local show in Humble. A couple guys walked by and I overheard them saying how plane the engine bay looked. That show had mostly classic cars in it.

I wouldn't even bother opening the hood at Coffee and Cars next to McLarens and Lambo's, but with a dual CAI? Maybe paint the piping, intakes and catch can red. It would really look nice.
I didn't want to go crazy with red, but I figured a "splash" was in order. So, I did just that. Painted the manifolds with hi-temp engine paint, matte red. Sanded the tops of the embossed letters with 800-grit sanding block. Need to go back and touch up a few nicks from the re-installation, but aside from that, I'm stoked with the outcome and got a TON of positive comments from the onlookers at the recent race. Also, I taped off all critical areas and sprayed the supercharger with several *light* coats of Volkswagen "Reflex Silver" metallic. Also sprayed the NW intakes with this color. This is by far the most radiant of the silvers offered by Duplicolor... much brighter than Chrysler's "Bright Silver Metallic".

Quite satisfied with the results.

Attached Images
engine bay 1.jpg (123.2 KB, 75 views)
engine bay 2.jpg (126.8 KB, 65 views)
engine bay 3.jpg (146.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 AM

I didn't want to go crazy with red, but I figured a "splash" was in order. So, I did just that. Painted the manifolds with hi-temp engine paint, matte red. Sanded the tops of the embossed letters with 800-grit sanding block. Need to go back and touch up a few nicks from the re-installation, but aside from that, I'm stoked with the outcome and got a TON of positive comments from the onlookers at the recent race. Also, I taped off all critical areas and sprayed the supercharger with several *light* coats of Volkswagen "Reflex Silver" metallic. Also sprayed the NW intakes with this color. This is by far the most radiant of the silvers offered by Duplicolor... much brighter than Chrysler's "Bright Silver Metallic".

Yeah J. The motor looks great. Definately not overdone but tasteful.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM

John love the look.... I might try this once I have everthing torn down...but for now.... I just want to get them done...should have done it this spring.... Poor old coupe hasn't been any where this year...just sitting and waiting... The roadster is ready...may get the manis moved over before the Dragon if time...but, I won't hold my breath, as nothing else has gotten done... But a little color under the hood sure wouldn't hurt...red even makes it look fast...

Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks GREAT !!!!

I used Duplicolor "High Performance Wheel Coating" ( HWP 101 ) silver on my manifold and NW intake, didn't know about the "Volkswagen Reflex Silver metallic".

From the pictures, they seem very similar.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Forum Regular

If it's looks you're after there's no doubt on which way to go. Mine is a daily driver and certainly the underhood is not pretty, so i really couldn't justify the dual. I don't think fitting the dual should be too much of a pain, as I bevieve it's only a case of moving a PS line. Give me a shout Brian if you need a hand installing it when you get it................the hardest thing for me was getting those damn blocks out next to the radiator surround...........

Old 09-30-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
...red even makes it look fast...
Bingo, I figured if I couldn't have a faster car than Steve, I'd at least have something to look at when you pop the hood.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks guys!

Bingo, I figured if I couldn't have a faster car than Steve, I'd at least have something to look at when you pop the hood.
Steve cheats....lol... Damn truckdriver.....can't trust any of them...

Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by magredvet
If it's looks you're after there's no doubt on which way to go. Mine is a daily driver and certainly the underhood is not pretty, so i really couldn't justify the dual. I don't think fitting the dual should be too much of a pain, as I bevieve it's only a case of moving a PS line. Give me a shout Brian if you need a hand installing it when you get it................the hardest thing for me was getting those damn blocks out next to the radiator surround...........
I might take you up on that Dave. How much beer per hour do you charge? Is Corona on your list of consumables? haha

Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....engine looks fantastic. I love how the red ties in with the engine emblem.
Great job. Need to see it in person at Fontana.

Quick Reply: Can't decide. Need help.