Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Ground Control kit reviews

Old 09-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ground Control kit reviews

I think it would be good idea to place all impressions and or reviews of this kit in one thread if possible. I don't have a review for the masses and my first impressions may be flawed because of a slight oops by the shop. I can't say exactly how it happened but heres the story. My car's ride height was set to the exact height it had before the install and then aligned. On the way home I was hearing tires hitting fender liners on the big dips/bumps taken at speed. Pulling into the supermarket/alcohol depot, I turned the wheels sharply parking and was scraping the front fender liners badly. Well, I get out and observe that she's sitting about 2" lower in the front than when I left the shop. The rear seems lower too but not much. It's raining cats and dogs here at the moment so I'm leaving it until tomorrow when I'll lift the front my self. It's easy enough to do. Therefore I can't say much, yet, except it can go lower than low. Hot FIYA low!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Low.JPG (544.4 KB, 323 views)
Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ground Control kit reviews

Your ride height looks right about where mine is set. I don't rub liners unless on track. I'm still on stock front tire size which is probably the difference.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM

I'm on the stock wheels and tires. I swap rims and tires at the track .... usually. I'll raise it up, go to the track and lower it a little at a time until it rubs then lift it a bit. Then it's back to the shop to be corner balanced. All I'm comfortable saying for the moment is the car rides similar to the K&W's, believe it or not. My -2.7º of negative camber looks to be around 4º at the moment.

Les

Old 09-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Forum Regular

That front looks ummmm pretty low, here is how ours sits.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:42 PM

I have an iPhone 3 so most of my pictures didn't come out. Here's a couple of the rear.

What I have: 2.25 ID 6" 900 lb springs in the rear. All 4 links.
2.50 ID 8" 1200 lb springs in the front. All 4 shocks are Koni race shocks, rebound adjustable.
The fronts and rear shocks have different part numbers that define the different rod lengths, but are otherwise the same. They are valved for my springs.

Attached Images
W.JPG (450.5 KB, 231 views)
WW.JPG (425.1 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by velociabstract; 09-05-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Details
Old 09-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Im back at the shop. After raising it up some I decided they needed to revise the instal since I plan to hit the track tomorrow. I took a few photos in the sun that I'll post later. The front settled to 3-1/2 inches behind the front wheel.

Attached Images
Looo.JPG (384.7 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by velociabstract; 09-06-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 09-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Back from the shop with the ride height at a more reasonable level, where I had the K&W's. No rubbing anywhere at any time! I think a true street review should wait because it seems I received some incorrect parts (sized for 2.25” and not 2.5” springs) for the front which added to the drop problem and transference of road noise. However, here are my first impressions. All inputs result in much more precise reactions. The steering, while still needing lots of input, is precise. Move the wheel and the car responds immediately. No waiting. No roll or dive that I could detect. I'm getting more road noise from the rear of the car which I believe is from the rubber delete on all the links. To be confirmed at a later date. No creaking, banging or groaning at all. Even with my race alignment, the car maintains whatever line you put it on. No following lines in the concrete highway. Straight as an arrow. The tires are transmitting every bit of information about the road. You can feel what the tires are rolling over. Not harsh, I'd say informative. Perhaps information not wanted on a street car. Perfect for a race car. The race springs, while super stiff, give a nice ride. Perhaps a passenger would be a better judge because like I mentioned before, you can feel through the steering wheel what the tires are feeling, in a way. The quality of the parts is top notch. The system on the front to keep the spring from bowing is sweet. How the kit goes on isn’t obvious from looking at it. As a matter of fact, I was clueless. The shop got it right after a call to Ground Control. No instructions were included but I was told the G/C answered the phone immediately and was helpful and friendly. My race review won’t be ready for a while, unfortunately. I’ll have to wait for the replacement parts before pushing the car on race rubber.

On a side note, the kit can lower the car so much it'll sit on the tires in the wheel wells. I don't know how high it can go. My K&W's were as low as I could go without doing damage or wrecking. I was rubbing slightly front and rear with them.

Les

Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information bud and great for putting up the thread!
I will get mine this week due to customs.
We have both street and full racing kit for my albino srt-6.
More to come from from this side of the pond aswell!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Les. I will wait until you run them awhile. If don't move on to another car....this could be a nice change of pace for the XF's and get back into the mood of keeping them. I have hit a performance wall with the coupe. I need something more to play with....lol

Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM

I hear you loud and clear. We've hit a performance wall without opening the engine or using nitrous. My review thus far is of a racing set up on the street which is kinda useless really. This is going to be interesting you know. It took a long time for me to dial in, or perhaps adjust my driving, to get the most out of the K&W's and I expect a learning curve for the alignment, tire pressures, sway bar setting, etc. with the G/C suspension. I'm setting my car up to what it liked on street tires and I'll go from there. The good thing about road racing is a better handling/braking car can beat a higher horsepower car once you get around it. So much more time can be gained in the handling than with an extra 100 hp. I have to admit, power is addicting.

I parked beside a new Corvette at the alignment shop yesterday. It's huge beside the Crossfire except in height. Roofline is lower which surprised me.

Les

Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Yes sir, I understand. I think you have the right place to be doing your thing. I haven't had that much luck with the characters around here. You would think they are all Indy car drivers. More money than talent. Coming from the dirt track days, I am not easily impressed. But, that is me, not the car. I think the cars are competitive in a lot of different areas, round track and drag racing, even car shows. Vettes are everywhere. But I am impressed with the new Z06 for sure. Although not a hellcat fan, it has impressive numbers for a car of that size and weight. Not impressed with the Camaros. Although the Z seems to be a good round track car. Problem is, they are all in the same price range. Which leads me right back to my 2 cars. Both spotless, both still low miles, and both still quick in the quarter with no nitrous... Only time will tell what we do.. Maybe playing with the suspension will get my interest back....keep us informed. I am most interested in how the parts hold up under load....good luck

Old 09-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

Les, make sure you double check all the jam nuts and torque mark everything.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:05 PM

Will do. It's part of my pre race prep.

Les

Old 09-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Yes sir, I understand. I think you have the right place to be doing your thing. I haven't had that much luck with the characters around here. You would think they are all Indy car drivers. More money than talent. Coming from the dirt track days, I am not easily impressed. But, that is me, not the car. I think the cars are competitive in a lot of different areas, round track and drag racing, even car shows. Vettes are everywhere. But I am impressed with the new Z06 for sure. Although not a hellcat fan, it has impressive numbers for a car of that size and weight. Not impressed with the Camaros. Although the Z seems to be a good round track car. Problem is, they are all in the same price range. Which leads me right back to my 2 cars. Both spotless, both still low miles, and both still quick in the quarter with no nitrous... Only time will tell what we do.. Maybe playing with the suspension will get my interest back....keep us informed. I am most interested in how the parts hold up under load....good luck
simple solution doc.....PORSCHE!!!!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM

Sorry my friend. I love yours, but you get to work on it, I don't and that is what I like...lol. Nope, still on the fence on what I will do....maybe this suspension Les is reviewing for us all will give me something to do and play with while waiting on some more go fast parts to be found and made soon I hope... Hope she runs well today Les...

Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Forum Regular

You act like he is the only person that has any input....why? Lots of forum posts? My guess is you won't ever go to the track anyways.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Uh Oh . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 09-08-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyT
You act like he is the only person that has any input....why? Lots of forum posts? My guess is you won't ever go to the track anyways.
Well, well. I see some of your "calming techniques" from Jan. have pretty much flown out the window....

Originally Posted by TommyT
I was thinking I need to give you some of my calming techniques.....
Enough with the chest thumping because "you were the only one who stepped up and donated his car".

Les has always been highly respected for his continued input on all the changes he's gone through on a race ready setup. And never once has he found any reason to put down a members comments simply because they weren't his thoughts personally. That probably comes with tons of "experience", something you seem to be sorely short on. Alot of our older members were racing long before you were even a gleem in your mommy's eyes. Instead of worrying about what others think, give us some credible input on what the setup has done for you. That's what most of us are waiting to hear about before we drop a butt-load of money on a system that has very little testing or feedback. I'd have conserns when you state that " I don't rub liners unless on track" which is the last place I'd want my tires rubbing. Makes it sound like you're not set up for racing. At least give us an intuitive review of whatever type setup you're running (street/race) and you'll probably gain back some of the respect you seem to badly crave. Otherwise, keep flaming away and see where it gets ya!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular

Ok old timer, I have stated numerous times my impressions. The only time I have rubbed a wheel liner is on track, never on the street. I do have the exact same kit as Mr. Les. What gives you the impression I'm not credible or set up for track? Les I'm not trying in any way to under mind your input. It just seems most are so far up your rear they have tunnel vision. I will not reply to this post again. Good luck all.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure where this all came from. Les never said he was rubbing due to a design flaw, but rather the spring perches may have moved or springs sagged quite a bit after initial installation.

Quick Reply: Ground Control kit reviews