Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Eurocharged Pulley/tune linked to transmission issues/failure?

Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eurocharged Pulley/tune linked to transmission issues/failure?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else encountered any transmission issues after a Eurocharged Pulley/tune install?

I had the pulley/tune done last week, it gave my SRT6 tremendous boost power. However, since the install, my transmission has been slipping. Could this be because of the heat output putting stress on the transmission?

Car goes in limp mode for a minute then it has zero power (does't move) in D or R. Code 0730 is present.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Chiminoul; 11-02-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Eurocharged Pulley/tune linked to transmission issues/failure?

Do you still have the original I/C pump? Causes the same type problem. First check if fuse #13 is not blown in the engine fuse block, driver's side box. If pump is still original, get the updated Bosch #10 pump replacement.

Amazon.com: Bosch 0392022010 Engine Auxiliary Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 0392022010 Engine Auxiliary Water Pump: Automotive

You may also need the pulley saver kit (either Needswings or LateModel) which provides the correct size pulleys for matching up to the smaller S/C pulley.

Last edited by syfi; 11-02-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
Do you still have the original I/C pump? Causes the same type problem. First check if fuse #13 is not blown in the engine fuse block, driver's side box. If pump is still original, get the updated Bosch #10 pump replacement.

Amazon.com: Bosch 0392022010 Engine Auxiliary Water Pump: Automotive
Thank you for your response. the I/C pump is stock. I will check fuse #13 tomorrow. I broke down in GA off I-95; and had to get the car towed to the dealership, it wouldn't drive in D at plus 2.5rpm.... What a mess....

Old 11-02-2015, 03:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know what the dealer has to say before you approve any repair work. They are generally clueless about the XFs and will start throwing parts at the car at triple the retail prices that will not fix the problem. Post on here what codes they find that were thrown. If the RCM has never been checked then you may need to do the solder repair on it. The stock I/C pump is notorious for failing. The magnetic impeller usually disintegrates. The #10 Bosch I referenced is the updated version that fixes that problem and is plug & play. Also get a Bosch Crankshaft Position Sensor for future replacement. All very common problems that will need fixing eventually. Low tranny fluid that commonly leaks out of a defective conductor plug can cause this problem, along with a bad tranny conductor plate. When she won't go in drive like that she's gone into limp mode. Any thrown codes will help narrow the search!

Last edited by syfi; 11-02-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
Let us know what the dealer has to say before you approve any repair work. They are generally clueless about the XFs and will start throwing parts at the car at triple the retail prices that will not fix the problem. Post on here what codes they find that were thrown. If the RCM has never been checked then you may need to do the solder repair on it. The stock I/C pump is notorious for failing. The magnetic impeller usually disintegrates. The #10 Bosch I referenced is the updated version that fixes that problem and is plug & play. Also get a Bosch Crankshaft Position Sensor for future replacement. All very common problems that will need fixing eventually. Low tranny fluid that commonly leaks out of a defective conductor plug can cause this problem, along with a bad tranny conductor plate. When she won't go in drive like that she's gone into limp mode. Any thrown codes will help narrow the search!
SYFI,

It's at the Bushwick, GA dealership... Before the tow, I was able to pull code 0730, it say something about "improper gear ratio." I do hope it's just the I/C pump and not the conductor plate or the selenoids.
I think that the tune/smaller pulley combo is too much heat for the car. It would probably explain why tranny slipped then failed... I have the stock pulley in the trunk and already reflashed it to factory settings. I may just have to put the stock pulley back on...

In regards to the #10 I/C pump, is this something the dealer stocks? I always keep an extra Bosch Crankshaft Position Sensor in the glovebox.

Once she's back on the road, I'll be passing through the space coast drinks are on me...

Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 PM

Heard back from the dealership. They pulled the 0730 code and a few others - all linked to transmission slippage in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear... They cleared them all.
I checked the #13 fuse, it is intact. I ordered a Bosch #10 I/C pump and will get it installed tomorrow. Hopefully, it is solve the transmission issue. Car drove fine when i left the dealership, but kinda lacked power...
The service manager "Mike" was a class act guy, he did his best to minimize the cost of a tranny check up.
Finger crossed, the #10 pump will get me back on the road. I have to get to Miami asap...
Should i put back the stock pulley?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We run 65s with tunes and have never had a problem with the transmission in either 6. The ECU doesn't control the trans, the TCU does. Clearing the codes without doing any repairs will likely lead to it happening again...soon. Odds are good that it's the NAG-1 plug is leaking and/or it needs a transmission service. You can find most everything necessary at your local parts store since the same transmission was used for years on countless M-B platforms.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by chuK_138
We run 65s with tunes and have never had a problem with the transmission in either 6. The ECU doesn't control the trans, the TCU does. Clearing the codes without doing any repairs will likely lead to it happening again...soon. Odds are good that it's the NAG-1 plug is leaking and/or it needs a transmission service. You can find most everything necessary at your local parts store since the same transmission was used for years on countless M-B platforms.
Chuk,

Thank you for your reply. there is a some tranny oil coming from the oil pan. I'll purchase a NAG-1 plug from Mopar and along with the new #10 I/C pump take it to a local mechanic...

Old 11-02-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would normally tell you to just swing by the house and pick it up for the $7 I paid for it, but it sounds like you're in a hurry to make it to Miami. You live there by chance?

Old 11-02-2015, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by chuK_138
I would normally tell you to just swing by the house and pick it up for the $7 I paid for it, but it sounds like you're in a hurry to make it to Miami. You live there by chance?
Chuk,

That would have been great to be able to pick it up from the legend!
Unfortunately, since i broke down, i'm pretty late on my Miami arrival...Drove down from New York for a 3 week job assignment. Hopefully the dealership has it in stock.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:06 PM

------------------------

Last edited by UNDER PSI; 06-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by UNDER PSI
Same Happened to my SRT6 from time to time since EC Tune and also TCU Tune ,but with no code, I was told and read it could be the Transmission fluid level ,which I had checked and level was full and fluid looks clean, I am going to do a transmission servive soon, Although limp mode problem hasn't happened since, Don't have solution ,just wanted to add my similar shared experience
Mileage on your car?
Chiminoul also. curious

Old 11-08-2015, 11:52 PM

--------------------------

Last edited by UNDER PSI; 06-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by UNDER PSI
Same Happened to my SRT6 from time to time since EC Tune and also TCU Tune ,but with no code, I was told and read it could be the Transmission fluid level ,which I had checked and level was full and fluid looks clean, I am going to do a transmission servive soon, Although limp mode problem hasn't happened since, Don't have solution ,just wanted to add my similar shared experience
What an adventure! I had to get a new tranny, old one was dead…
Within 15 minutes the tranny slipped, car went into limp mode and then no power, and to top it all up checked engine light went on.
I swapped back the stock pulley and car is back to normal, it drives great. I noticed that when the tune and pulley were on the car, temp gauge was higher than usual. Without the EC combo, when the SC kicks in, the temp gauge drops to a bit above the middle line. With the EC pulley/tune, temp was always a bit above the middle line.

For now, I'll pass on the EC tune and pulley...

Old 11-13-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Mileage on your car?
Chiminoul also. curious
67k on it. Within 300miles after the tune/pulley, serious issues started. I'm in touch with EC to see what can be done to get the pulley/tune back on. I'm addicted to the boost

Old 11-13-2015, 12:43 PM

Wow... Interesting. Your vehicle could of had underlining issues though and the extra power + heat didn't help. You stated your transmission had been leaking/seeping from the transmission pan. Less fluid = more heat = transmission failure. I have been on the fence of getting a 65mm steel pulley from that guy from Poland and a EuroCharged tune.

You would think you would want to have a wideband if any sort of tune with added boost was added to your car also.

Did you get the TCU tune also or just the ECU and pulley tune?

Last edited by 4drturbo; 11-13-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by Chiminoul
67k on it. Within 300miles after the tune/pulley, serious issues started. I'm in touch with EC to see what can be done to get the pulley/tune back on. I'm addicted to the boost
What is your cars history? You the only owner? Bought it from ? When? How many miles? What state was it registered? I know of another SRT6 that had tranny slippage under spray !!

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 11-13-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not a mechanic but am someone with similar modifications delievering lots of trouble free power over time with no problems.

I suggest the oil leak is much more likely the cause of your problem.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4drturbo
Wow... Interesting. Your vehicle could of had underlining issues though and the extra power + heat didn't help. You stated your transmission had been leaking/seeping from the transmission pan. Less fluid = more heat = transmission failure. I have been on the fence of getting a 65mm steel pulley from that guy from Poland and a EuroCharged tune.

You would think you would want to have a wideband if any sort of tune with added boost was added to your car also.

Did you get the TCU tune also or just the ECU and pulley tune?
I just did the ECU tune, no leak in the tranny now but it starts to slip when the pulley is one. Old tranny died. Fluid level was/is near full. Even replaced the nag1 plug and the I/C pump just in case, but no luck. I probably need an extra cooling system.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
What is your cars history? You the only owner? Bought it from ? When? How many miles? What state was it registered? I know of another SRT6 that had tranny slippage under spray !!
It's registered in New York. It's got 67k miles on it. I never had any issues until I put on the pulley/EC tune. I'm the second owner.

Quick Reply: Eurocharged Pulley/tune linked to transmission issues/failure?