Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Seafoam for SRT6?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam for SRT6?

What are the community thoughts on using a Seafoam or other cleaner on the SRT6 engine? Never used it before but had to clean out the intakes and there was significant residue coming in through the drivers side airbox.

Seen a few guys on the NA side posting how-to's on the brake line booster, but I've never had a supercharged car before and not sure if that changes things.

Is it worth the time, should we avoid entirely, is there a better product than SeaFoam, and is there a chance it would harm the engine?

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Re: Seafoam for SRT6?

Originally Posted by IconRunner
What are the community thoughts on using a Seafoam or other cleaner on the SRT6 engine? Never used it before but had to clean out the intakes and there was significant residue coming in through the drivers side airbox.

Seen a few guys on the NA side posting how-to's on the brake line booster, but I've never had a supercharged car before and not sure if that changes things.

Is it worth the time, should we avoid entirely, is there a better product than SeaFoam, and is there a chance it would harm the engine?

Thanks!
IconRunner
I see no issues with cleaning the engine compartment, just cover all of the electronic related items in plastic to avoid any water contact, that could cause issues down the road. There are several other products available, use autogeek.com for other products.
BTW, did you ever submit your VIN# for our database?
Use the link below.....
Dennis
DTMenace
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...continued.html

Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMenace
IconRunner
I see no issues with cleaning the engine compartment, just cover all of the electronic related items in plastic to avoid any water contact, that could cause issues down the road. There are several other products available, use autogeek.com for other products.
BTW, did you ever submit your VIN# for our database?
Use the link below.....
Dennis
DTMenace
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...continued.html
I think he is talking about putting Seafoam through the engine not on it.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Seafoam for SRT6?

Seafoam is snake oil. What is it to do?? Why would you use an unknown fluid in your engine, and Ive seen contamination of the oxygen sensors. WHY?

Woody

Old 04-21-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some motors that have alot of deposits in the motor it is not good on, there has been several motors that it cleans there motor to good, breaks loose those deposits and clogs up the screen by the oil pump, so motor gets no more oil.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Seafoam additive in the fuel tank. I bought a 2006 SRT that had 60,000 on it but I believe they were almost all short trips. Every time I took it out and ran 80mpg for a while it would pop one time like a hard single miss and then not do it again until it was hot and around 80mph.
I took it in for analysis and they found nothing.Mercedes dealer thought it was hot carbon flake off pre-
igniting once in a while. Suggested Seafoam gas treatment. Three tanks of gas later and it hasn't done it again????? I believe it worked and plan to do it once a year. Old deposits I don't worry about as long as the engine gets hot enough often.
Seafoam OIL treatment is I believe just a new name for what us old guys remember as Casite and Rislone. Both of them clean the deposits from the crank case well. Sometimes too well. I would not leave it in the oil for more than 100miles. If it wa sdirty you will see it in the oil.
I had one old car from a Senior that never saw an expressway. Rislone worked so well that the sludge clogged the oil suction tube. Had to drop the pan to drain the tar from the bottom. Gotta be carful with the stuff.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have used Seafoam in my two Audis and the Crossfires for years, adding to a tank of gas. I'm not convinced it really cleaned out gunk and carbon, but it has never hurt anything either. I usually do it a couple times per year.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I prefer BG 44K myself. You cant get that from a parts store have to order it online, works well. I use it everytime I do an oil change on my vehicles. 174k on my srt-6.