Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Alternator replacement confusion

Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alternator replacement confusion

2005 SRT 6 voltage drops and battery light comes on under acceleration. Belt is not loose or worn. If I pull the positive battery terminal while running the car dies like turning off the key. Thinking the alternator is bad but when I looked at replacing it there seems to be a ton of confusion in the marked as to what actually fits the SRT 6. I have tried to weed through all the threads regarding this issue but have still been left a bit confused. Apparently I need to identify whether the car has a Valero or Bosch? How do in make that distinction? Some sites seem to show a direct replacement but describe a 6 groove pulley instead of 8. Thinking I should buy locally because it may take a few tries to get the right one. Any input would be appreciated

Last edited by 4SRTN; 05-03-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Clarify content
Old 05-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Alternator replacement confusion

First don't pull the positive cable off like that again. The best way IMHO would be to pull the alt. off an have it rebuilt. It is possibly only going the be the regulator. Your correct in that many, have went for replacements only to find they ordered the wrong replacement, or right replacement an wrong pulley. Pull the alternator, check what brand , compare prices, also check what it would be, to have rebuilt by a reputable service tech. Preparation is 90% of the battle. Good luck...

Old 05-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

There is a Bosch and a Valeo alternator for this car, as you say you need the 8 groove pulley and many have made the mistake of getting the alternator that is listed for the SRT and got the wrong one. There is a chart on here that lists the Valeo alternator and the Bosch equivalent.
Originally Posted by 4SRTN
Thanks for the input.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I had a Valeo in mine. I pulled it last night and went to a local shop. (Electrical Clinton Township, MI - J&P Auto Electric 586-954-1) and they had a perfect match on the shelf. Paid a bit more than I wanted but I think it was worth it. The SRT is my son's Daily now and I didn't have time to waste since he needs the car for school and work. I spent about 40 min on the install and all is good.