Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Belt Slipped off at WOT and smoking exhaust

Old 12-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Belt Slipped off at WOT and smoking exhaust

Originally Posted by onehundred80
After reading the posts again I think that the car was running too lean and burnt a valve or a piston. I am thinking it was on the edge of going and the high revs took it over the top. Do we know if there ever was a tune?
What could have happened otherwise? Timing chain jumped a few teeth?
It has a ecu/tcu tune. I was hoping low milage on the engine would throw out a few possibilities. Gaskets/seal wear I can see. Timing chain wear/jump I hope is a rare occurrence on these engines

Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastNstuff
It has a ecu/tcu tune. I was hoping low milage on the engine would throw out a few possibilities. Gaskets/seal wear I can see. Timing chain wear/jump I hope is a rare occurrence on these engines
I agree, but what could happen? Surely it did not over rev and hit a valve. It may have the tune now but did it have one at the same time as the smaller pulley was fitted?
Was something about to go before the dropped belt? The engine sounds funny, how far has it been driven after the belt slipped off? Did it start to seize up due to overheating because of the water pump, and shut down the SC as well.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-06-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I agree, but what could happen? Surely it did not over rev and hit a valve. It may have the tune now but did it have one at the same time as the smaller pulley was fitted?
Was something about to go before the dropped belt? The engine sounds funny, how far has it been driven after the belt slipped off? Did it start to seize up due to overheating because of the water pump, and shut down the SC as well.
To my knowledge everything with the pulley and tune should be in check. It was a package deal from eurocharged. It was driven maybe half a mile after the belt slipped off. The mechanic did say that the throttle was 99.6% and boost read at 33psi when the incident occurred if I understand him correctly.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just as a heads up, my Graphite 6 with a 181 crank pulley (is that equivalent to a 65 S/C pulley ?) would run extremely lean at WOT even with a Eurocharged tune. I had to fit Needswings fuel/zeitronics kit to get the AFR under control.
If you never had it dyno'd or had nothing to check the AFR with............running lean is definitely a possibility, and that in turn can cause engine damage........ :O(

Old 12-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by magredvet
Just as a heads up, my Graphite 6 with a 181 crank pulley (is that equivalent to a 65 S/C pulley ?) would run extremely lean at WOT even with a Eurocharged tune. I had to fit Needswings fuel/zeitronics kit to get the AFR under control.
If you never had it dyno'd or had nothing to check the AFR with............running lean is definitely a possibility, and that in turn can cause engine damage........ :O(
That sounds possible, unfortunately...

Old 12-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastNstuff
To my knowledge everything with the pulley and tune should be in check. It was a package deal from eurocharged. It was driven maybe half a mile after the belt slipped off. The mechanic did say that the throttle was 99.6% and boost read at 33psi when the incident occurred if I understand him correctly.

33 psi is entirely too much boost, how can it get that high? I run a 181 with a 70 on the SC and I've never gone above 22 psi, which is about all you want since stock is 14.2 psi.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
33 psi is entirely too much boost, how can it get that high? I run a 181 with a 70 on the SC and I've never gone above 22 psi, which is about all you want since stock is 14.2 psi.
I don't think it was consistently 33psi. Maybe that's what happened when it blew causing that number, or the number is incorrect in the system. I can't really be sure if it's accurate.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Probably boost plus atmospheric pressure. I think that is around 14psi.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

yes, if the mechanic is reading this from the ecu, the ecu reads atmosphere plus boost, so boost would be 33-14.7=18.3psi which is what I would expect.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
yes, if the mechanic is reading this from the ecu, the ecu reads atmosphere plus boost, so boost would be 33-14.7=18.3psi which is what I would expect.
That makes sense.

Also he has a boroscope, and will get some pictures. It will be in a week or so, he is a little backed up atm.