Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Coolant in Engine Oil - Need Advice

Old 12-22-2017, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in Engine Oil - Need Advice

So after 10 years of pretty much trouble free daily driving my SRT6 (58k mi) gave me quite some troubles this year.

About 8 month ago I noticed the car is losing coolant, so I got a new Intercooler from Rudy and installed it. You could tell the old one was broken, but for some reason the 'losing coolant' still happened after the fix.

Just recently i send an oil sample to blackstone and they told me, that there's coolant in the oil. We also see the oil turn milky under the oil cap.

My mechanic told me that it's highly likely a head gasket problem, but I saw on the forum that the M112 engine shouldn't have this issue.

What else could be the reason for the coolant in the oil?

If it is the head-gasket, any recommendations in terms of parts? Should we get OEM headbolts or are there better ones on the market?

I appreciate any advice.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Re: Coolant in Engine Oil - Need Advice

Originally Posted by yokenmeister
So after 10 years of pretty much trouble free daily driving my SRT6 (58k mi) gave me quite some troubles this year.

About 8 month ago I noticed the car is losing coolant, so I got a new Intercooler from Rudy and installed it. You could tell the old one was broken, but for some reason the 'losing coolant' still happened after the fix.

Just recently i send an oil sample to blackstone and they told me, that there's coolant in the oil. We also see the oil turn milky under the oil cap.

My mechanic told me that it's highly likely a head gasket problem, but I saw on the forum that the M112 engine shouldn't have this issue.

What else could be the reason for the coolant in the oil?

If it is the head-gasket, any recommendations in terms of parts? Should we get OEM headbolts or are there better ones on the market?

I appreciate any advice.
I had coolant in the oil of a GMC 4.3 L engine and by the time I found out every bearing in the engine was shot along with the cylinders I rebuilt it after having the heads rebuilt and a rebore at a auto machine shop.
Not fun.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem in the original mazda 526 back in 1979. as onehundred80 said, no fun. head had to magnafluxed and milled to insure it hadn't warped on top of internal engine parts that had failed to the point of needing replacement etc. surprised you haven't noticed plums of a very white "exhaust" running for as long as you did with the problem. it is actually steam and at that point you are cooked. i've never know the water in the oil problem to be anything else but a water leak (from a head usually or internally) that needed pretty immediate attention.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Agreed, really need to pull the engine and go through it thoroughly. Bearings and rings at least. Suspect you may notice more power after.

Just another reason I run my engines cool though any more that means "under 200F".

ps 626 ?

Old 12-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

sounds like a leaking head gasket, do a leak down test and look for bubbles in the overflow to confirm.

if so, pull the heads, have then checked by a head shop and decked if needed, use OEM gasket and new head bolts to put her back together. i have seen 3 srt6's with head gasket issues so far. we can help with parts and labor advice throughout

Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find out what happened??