Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Endless issue, starting to be hopeless

Old 02-09-2018, 01:45 PM
DZL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Endless issue, starting to be hopeless

Hi, could anyone please help me identify the problem with my SRT6 that I am trying to solve for more than one year?

It actually does three things that may or may not be associated.

1.) From time to time when accelerating (even during light acceleration) it shuts down the engine for just a second. I guess it disengages the supercharger.

2.) Again, from time to time when I go slowly it goes to the limp mode. (It again probably disengages the supercharger and I must say I really hate those vibrations it does). Sometimes it takes 3 restarts of the engine to get rid of it.

3.) It does strange sounds that go from the needswings cai in idle. I found out that that the throttlebody plate (I mean that plate inside the throttle body) is somewhat loose and hits the body of throttle body and this sound is being transfered to the cai.

Over that year I have tried a lot of things. As it does not write any codes most of the repair shops and merc stealerships told me I am making it up (It simply does not do it during their short test drive) and those who encountered the issues were clueless. I changed the ic pump as the first thing, did not help. I thought It might be map sensor -> did not help. I am constantly loging all the sensors together with my wideband o2. The first problem is visible as a sudeen drop in air pressure and wb o2 shows similar af as if I released the gas (checked fuel pressure and it is ok).

I must say I am starting to be hopeless.

Thanks for any help

Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Endless issue, starting to be hopeless

Have you tried replacing the throttle body ?
( loose butterfly is not common, the TPS circuitry inside the unit could also be flakey )

Here's one for $45 :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be....c100005.m1851

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-09-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

i agree, install another throttle body. if that was incorrect you can sell the extra TB to a NA xf owner to recoupe the investment as they can use it as an upgrade. when new TB is installed, flip key to on position without starting engine, let sit for 2 minutes to calibrate, then start and see if resolved.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Agree, momentary loss of the throttle signal will tell the engine to go to idle but since is normal operation may not set a code if momentary.

I would instrument with Torque Pro to monitor and log a number of things: throttle position, speed, time, rpm, MAF, coolant temp, voltage., ... Drive until it happens, then review the log file (should be in .csv format & individual file by trip.) Suspect something is going to zero.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 AM
DZL

I attached 3 logs when it happened, the afr look as if I released the gas pedal for a second, map suggests that the supercharger was disengaged.

Originally Posted by Padgett
Agree, momentary loss of the throttle signal will tell the engine to go to idle but since is normal operation may not set a code if momentary.

I would instrument with Torque Pro to monitor and log a number of things: throttle position, speed, time, rpm, MAF, coolant temp, voltage., ... Drive until it happens, then review the log file (should be in .csv format & individual file by trip.) Suspect something is going to zero.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:54 AM
DZL

Is that the correct one for SRT6? What is the price of a new one? (I am currently quite far away from the car so I cant check the part numer).

Thanks

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Have you tried replacing the throttle body ?
( loose butterfly is not common, the TPS circuitry inside the unit could also be flakey )

Here's one for $45 :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be....c100005.m1851

Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DZL
Is that the correct one for SRT6? What is the price of a new one? (I am currently quite far away from the car so I cant check the part numer).

Thanks
113 141 0125 is the SRT6 74 mm throttle body.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

There are quite a few step changes. Were you driving at a constant speed or doesn't it happen then ? TP (throttle position) only is in the last one. Need some explanation of what was happening when.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 AM
*D2
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same issue and Dr. Rob's TB calibration fixed it up good. However, it returned the following day after battery disconnect for upgrades. I have not recalibrated yet due to Nor' Easter!!

Stay tuned....

Old 03-04-2018, 12:02 PM
DZL

Originally Posted by Padgett
There are quite a few step changes. Were you driving at a constant speed or doesn't it happen then ? TP (throttle position) only is in the last one. Need some explanation of what was happening when.
I have just changed the TB and it is not the source of the issue. So I am still trying to find it.

Well it does two things, the charts above depict the sudden loss of power that lasts not more than one second. It feels as if the supercharger was disengaged or there was no fuel for a second. It occurs while accelerating mildly or during wot. It also happens quite often.

As I do not log everything I was not able to log the situation when it goes to the limp mode. I usually go around 50-70kph (yes it happens when going slow) and it switches probably to what is called a limp mode. I guess that the car disengages the supercharger. What is also does is that it shakes quite badly.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM
DZL

Originally Posted by *D2
I had same issue and Dr. Rob's TB calibration fixed it up good. However, it returned the following day after battery disconnect for upgrades. I have not recalibrated yet due to Nor' Easter!!

Stay tuned....
Could you tell me more about what you mean by recalibration and what exact symptoms it had ?

Thank you, if it is a similar problem it might help a
lot

Old 03-04-2018, 12:52 PM
*D2

Insert key.
Turn to on/run. (DO NOT START!)
Let sit up to two minutes.
Listen to TB for action. (Clicks, movement)
Done!

Drive and hopefully enjoy!

Old 03-04-2018, 01:17 PM
DZL

Originally Posted by *D2
Insert key.
Turn to on/run. (DO NOT START!)
Let sit up to two minutes.
Listen to TB for action. (Clicks, movement)
Done!

Drive and hopefully enjoy!
Oh you meant this, I have tried it couple of times in last few months but it does not help at all :-(

Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 PM
*D2

Dratz! I'm going to test mine out now, after a "calibration". I'll report my experience.....:-)

Old 03-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Hey guys. I'm neew to here but I have a few questions.
I'm getting a Chevy LM7 5.3 to go into my 04 crossfire. Just wondering what adaptations I will need and how difficult this will be. I'm no mechanic so I will be hiring a professional to do the swap. I just need to know what else besides the engine, e cu, mounts, and such I will need before this can happen. Any knowledge is appreciated.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:54 PM
*D2

Cruised around for a couple hours exhibiting all forms of driving. Started off with "mature adult" while it got to operating temp. That style was very pleasing as I could fully appreciate the low end pull under light throttle. Love the NW's C.D.P. harmony!

Then I stepped it up to "spirited" driving......equally enjoyable. So far no stumble. That was at lest an hour into my ride.

Finally, I went "Two Lane Blacktop" and received full satisfaction every time it slipped and spun at will! Overall a sweet sounding/performing XFire.

During this run of various moods I had the cutout/stumble happen just three times. Each time was far from the previous. Once cruising at 80mph while slight throttle depression. It was too quick to consider it a stumble, but it happened.

The other two were from a stop, into 2nd or 3rd with pedal going down slightly "spirited". That was it!!

Idle was smooth and precise. Cruising perfect. Full throttle at any speed resulted in loss of traction. (43* outside) It broke loose a lot with aggression.

All I did was "calibrate" before my drive. It appears to be 99% better.

Last edited by *D2; 03-04-2018 at 03:58 PM.