Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

So much OIL!

Old 03-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So much OIL!

SRT-6
DCAI
64mm pulley
EC tune
65,000 miles

Ok, so basically to start off I was going for a quick drive around town and half way through I pulled hard on the car and I noticed a slight sluggish feeling at WOT in the Upper part of the RPM range (subtle but there) I also noticed smoke behind me around with some other cars... did not think it was my car. SO i tested again. WOT and more smoke. parked the car and opened the hood... BAM Oil all over the passenger side...

The oil dipstick had come out. and it looks like the fan/driving blew the oil everywhere behind it.But is that all?

Drove home gently... seemed fine. no smoke. I also believe the smoke was coming from oil hitting the exhaust and not actually coming out of it.. I hope.

I tried cleaning the oil as best as I can.

No engine codes.

I'm more concerned if there is another problem... like I blew a head gasket.

Note... the oil dipstick slides out easily with little effort... normal?'

I wonder if this is a common problem with SRT that have more horsepower.

I couldn't find anything specifically related to this. Although my searching skills are sub par at best.

If anyone has any info on this I would love to hear your thoughts... or just find a way to secure the dipstick and refill oil. thank you!!
-Darren

Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: So much OIL!

The dipstick should NOT slide out easily.
You can replace the O ring with one of the little ones that come with an oil filter, did you save any of yours from the last change ?

Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The dipstick should NOT slide out easily.
You can replace the O ring with one of the little ones that come with an oil filter, did you save any of yours from the last change ?
No I did not. The "extra" O-Ring that everyone has actually goes into the top of the oil housing if you unscrew it it should be there... But if all I need is a new O ring I have no problem with just going to the Auto parts store and buying a new filter set..

I also might need a new belt since it's saturated in oil.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicBubbles
No I did not. The "extra" O-Ring that everyone has actually goes into the top of the oil housing if you unscrew it it should be there... But if all I need is a new O ring I have no problem with just going to the Auto parts store and buying a new filter set..

I also might need a new belt since it's saturated in oil.
You are so true, but this O-ring fits into the dip stick and does a great job of making it tighter in the dip stick tube. In future you can do as you please with this O-ring now that you actually know.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM

check to see if you got oil on your belt.

Something similar happened to me, oil hit the belt and popped it off, and I blew the engine.

be careful, better safe than sorry. A new belt isn't much compared to a new engine.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastNstuff
check to see if you got oil on your belt.

Something similar happened to me, oil hit the belt and popped it off, and I blew the engine.

be careful, better safe than sorry. A new belt isn't much compared to a new engine.
wow that’s crazy. Just curious as to how your engine went boom from the belt slipping though? The engine doesn’t nessisarily need to run with it on so I’m curious as to what happened.

And ill I’ll get a new belt tomorrow for sure. And new O ring. I currently have the dipstick zip tied down so it stays closed.

Also so one question I have about this. Why would there be pressure in the oil pan? Shouldn’t the PCV vent out excess pressure? It seems like this is a common thing to happen as I just read Woodys post about this whole problem.

Thanks for for the replies guys!!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by AtomicBubbles

wow that’s crazy. Just curious as to how your engine went boom from the belt slipping though? The engine doesn’t nessisarily need to run with it on so I’m curious as to what happened.

And ill I’ll get a new belt tomorrow for sure. And new O ring. I currently have the dipstick zip tied down so it stays closed.

Also so one question I have about this. Why would there be pressure in the oil pan? Shouldn’t the PCV vent out excess pressure? It seems like this is a common thing to happen as I just read Woodys post about this whole problem.

Thanks for for the replies guys!!
We arn't currently sure, sort or a chicken or the egg thing.

​​​​​