Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Changing Rear Spoiler from Fixed to Movable

Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing Rear Spoiler from Fixed to Movable

Hello,

I am wondering how hard it would be to change my real spoiler on our SRT6 from fixed to movable. It seems the hardware would be adaptable. But I am not sure if the SRT6 has the "wing" control signal in the wiring harness, and if the ECM already generates an up/dn signal, or would that need to be programmed? I'm pretty sure it is more complicated than I think, but I was just wondering.

Has anyone else tried to do this or do you have any advise?

Thank you,

John Schmidt

Old 02-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Changing Rear Spoiler from Fixed to Movable

John, its definitely going to be more of a pain than anything. There are a few threads about this subject. From what ive read an understand , only a few successful attempts have been accomplished , an that's from a very patient (an expensive) endeavor.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
John, its definitely going to be more of a pain than anything. There are a few threads about this subject. From what ive read an understand , only a few successful attempts have been accomplished , an that's from a very patient (an expensive) endeavor.
I do not remember reading of any successful automatic operation of an NA spoiler on an SRT. I believe they all had to be manually operated. Fubu never got his going if I recall correctly.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I do not remember reading of any successful automatic operation of an NA spoiler on an SRT. I believe they all had to be manually operated. Fubu never got his going if I recall correctly.
Ohh no, I'm sorry if anyone thought , it wouldn't be manually deployed. To my understanding , that's the only way to get this to work....

Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Would be some that would like to buy your srt spoiler.
I want one.
Want to trade?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Changing Rear Spoiler from Fixed to Movable

I had explored the idea of having the spoiler on my srt flip up under braking, with a minor delay. Thought it would be like the texas chapprail (sp) car and would be useful, got into other projects before I bought servos to do it. Woody An idea for a rainy day. Woody

Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by waldig
I had explored the idea of having the spoiler on my srt flip up under braking, with a minor delay. Thought it would be like the texas chapprail (sp) car and would be useful, got into other projects before I bought servos to do it. Woody An idea for a rainy day. Woody
Start of with a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood and you too can have a Chaparral. Forget the piddly SRT spoiler.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Thank you. I see from this pdf there is a lot of stuff in there. Looks complicated.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
spoiler leak removal guide.pdf (501.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM

Thank you for this information. I suspected it wouldn't be easy to do.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Would be some that would like to buy your srt spoiler.
I want one.
Want to trade?
Thank you. It is a nice spoiler, and a nice car. But I like the "character" of the Movable Spoiler. I would need to keep the original spoiler too though, in case I ever sell the car.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 PM

Start of with a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood and you too can have a Chaparral. Forget the piddly SRT spoiler.
LOL! Guess I would need Marine Grade plywood.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:33 PM

Anyone who uses silicone as a seal against leaks in this area had better be sure that they never need to take off the part again. Once it is set the part is nearly impossible to get apart again, someone purchased a car that had silicone applied to it to prevent a leak and had a very hard time taking it apart.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone who uses silicone as a seal against leaks in this area had better be sure that they never need to take off the part again. Once it is set the part is nearly impossible to get apart again, someone purchased a car that had silicone applied to it to prevent a leak and had a very hard time taking it apart.
Don't use silicone it will not work and it will do more damage then anything. I used silicone the first time and it was only on for a day or 2 and it was a ***** to remove the spoiler to get that crap off and it still leaked.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 PM

Thank you for this information. This forum is so very helpful!

Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by philosophico
Don't use silicone it will not work and it will do more damage then anything. I used silicone the first time and it was only on for a day or 2 and it was a ***** to remove the spoiler to get that crap off and it still leaked.
Thank you. I will stay away from the silicone.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if you might know approximately how much down force is generated by an SRT spoiler at approximately 100 MPH? I am assuming that downforce is the main reason for the spoiler? I'm just curious.

Thank you,

John Schmidt

Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason it doesn’t work well on an SRT-6 is that we accelerate faster than that little nail clipping can come up to provide the necessary downforce. Anyone who thinks an NA wing provides the same downforce the fixed wing does needs to provide some degree in aerodynamics or just be quiet.....it’s not possible!

Old 03-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuK_138
The main reason it doesn’t work well on an SRT-6 is that we accelerate faster than that little nail clipping can come up to provide the necessary downforce. Anyone who thinks an NA wing provides the same downforce the fixed wing does needs to provide some degree in aerodynamics or just be quiet.....it’s not possible!
Feel free to post up your degree and data.. or just be quiet.. "more surface" does not equal more down force if the angle of attack differs .. Lesson over.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Feel free to post up your degree and data.. or just be quiet.. "more surface" does not equal more down force if the angle of attack differs .. Lesson over.
Art Anderson the Crossfire chief engineer gave us a talk at Woodward on the Crossfire development, said that the down force was about the same same for either spoiler. Without the spoiler the rear of the car lifted so the spoilers were added.
He also stars in the YouTube video. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Art Anderson the Crossfire chief engineer gave us a talk at Woodward on the Crossfire development, said that the down force was about the same same for either spoiler. Without the spoiler the rear of the car lifted so the spoilers were added.
He also stars in the YouTube video. CLICK
Slick video - I enjoyed watching it this morning. Saved for later reference. Thanks

Quick Reply: Changing Rear Spoiler from Fixed to Movable