Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Has the SRT-6 been discontinued??

Old 07-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the SRT-6 been discontinued??

I went on the Chrysler website today, and there is no longer an option to "build your own" SRT-6 - only the regular Coupe and the Limited. Anybody hear any news about this? Also, take note that Chrysler has jumped on the "Employee Price" bandwagon, so there are good deals out there right now on the Coupes and Roadsters.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Has the SRT-6 been discontinued??

Aside from choosing between a coupe and a convertible, and picking out the color, what other choices can you make when you "build" one of these? I thought they came with a high level of equipment, and there were virtually no options... am I wrong on this?

Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, still there http://www.chrysler.com/srt/index.html, but you're right, they won't let you build one... hmm.

Last edited by former NXMX5; 07-11-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:10 PM

I saw that area, but when you click from there to build one, it's not an option. Maybe it's just because of the Employee Price program - i.e. maybe it doesn't apply to the SRT-6.
I'll be curious to see how much dealers will let them go for once 2006 model year vehicles start coming out.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular

...you might hang me for suggesting this, but, why buy a new SRT-6 roadster at all, when a brand new SLK350 comes in at an MSRP of $47,725 (versus the Crossfire's $50,395)? Sure, the SRT-6 is quicker than its younger Mercedes sibling. 4.8 seconds to sixty versus 5.3 for the Benz. And, sure, you could probably work a better deal on the Chrysler. It even might come in a few grand less than the Benz. But, I would say that 5.3 to sixty is plenty fast enough (a whole second and a half better than my Crossfire coupe). And, even if the Benz would wind up costing you a grand or two more to drive off the lot than the Chrysler (due to the inevitable less willing to deal salesman), wouldn't you rather have a newer platform? I mean, the Crossfire is great, but the Benz is a generation newer. It has rack and pinion steering, better ergonomics, more precise chassis reflexes, and a better resale value. Oh, and you can get a stick in the Benz, too. I would wager that it is a lot more fun to get to sixty rowing your own gears in 5.3 seconds, than it is to get tugged there by an autobox in 4.8.

Then again, sports cars are irrational things, and if you love the looks.... well, let me just say that it is rarely possible to give rational reasons why I bought one car versus the other. I suppose the same is true of you. Otherwise, we would all be dozing in our Camry's!

Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Good points. I was mainly just curious about the availability of the SRT-6's in the future, and how that might affect any huge price drops at dealerships later this year - like the way 2004 Coupes are being advertised for $10,000 off MSRP nowadays. I'd definitely prefer a manual tranny no matter what car I was getting, and like you suggested with the SLK, there are A LOT of options available when you get up in the $50K price range. One of my personal favorites in that range is the Lotus Elise, and of course there's the new Vette. I'd mainly consider the SRT6 if they dropped to around $35-37K later in the year.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by juddz
...you might hang me for suggesting this, but, why buy a new SRT-6 roadster at all, when a brand new SLK350 comes in at an MSRP of $47,725 (versus the Crossfire's $50,395)? Sure, the SRT-6 is quicker than its younger Mercedes sibling. 4.8 seconds to sixty versus 5.3 for the Benz. And, sure, you could probably work a better deal on the Chrysler. It even might come in a few grand less than the Benz. But, I would say that 5.3 to sixty is plenty fast enough (a whole second and a half better than my Crossfire coupe). And, even if the Benz would wind up costing you a grand or two more to drive off the lot than the Chrysler (due to the inevitable less willing to deal salesman), wouldn't you rather have a newer platform? I mean, the Crossfire is great, but the Benz is a generation newer. It has rack and pinion steering, better ergonomics, more precise chassis reflexes, and a better resale value. Oh, and you can get a stick in the Benz, too. I would wager that it is a lot more fun to get to sixty rowing your own gears in 5.3 seconds, than it is to get tugged there by an autobox in 4.8.

Then again, sports cars are irrational things, and if you love the looks.... well, let me just say that it is rarely possible to give rational reasons why I bought one car versus the other. I suppose the same is true of you. Otherwise, we would all be dozing in our Camry's!
Did the comparison shopping when I was in the market. The SLK350 I priced was in the low 50's with some bare options...Mid 50's if I was wanting it the way I would have liked it...(Would have added the AMG body kit since, esp. in person, the stock SLK has, IMO, a very "female" look to it )...since I got my SRT-6 for over $15k less then the price you quoted, it was really a no-brainer for me and since I am quite familiar with Mercedes products and the C32 (same engine as the SRT-6) I already knew this is a tried and true engine...Can't say the same for the new 3.5 V6 in the SLK which some new owners have had some major issues with...

Old 07-12-2005, 03:01 AM

respdoc,
What price did you actually end up paying for your SRT6? And is it a hardtop or roadster? And what state are you in? Also, how do you like it? Any issues? Etc. I appreciate the feedback, and I'm sure everyone else does too. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rapjunkie
respdoc,
What price did you actually end up paying for your SRT6? And is it a hardtop or roadster? And what state are you in? Also, how do you like it? Any issues? Etc. I appreciate the feedback, and I'm sure everyone else does too. Thanks.
---$37k was the price that I talked them down to on the SRT-6 but also got around $5k extra on my MB trade-in on top of this price according to both KBB and NADA values...

And is it a hardtop or roadster?
--black Hardtop

And what state are you in?
--SD
Also, how do you like it?
--I'm very happy with the car...it looks quite a bit better with the small "extras" I have done (15% tint, 20mm rear H+R spacers, debadged stock emblems and Dan's SRT emblems, interior chrome pieces from CTD, Momo shifter, stainless steel mesh lower grill, res. delete, rear painted lower fascia, etc)...the car will also be lowered a little when the new spring pads come in from Mercedes and I will more then likely be heading down to Kleemann in mid. Aug. for a ECU reflash and pulley upgrade.
Any issues?
--Mostly just the normal squeaks and rattles the dealer has fixed. Only other issue the common "ticking" engine noise I have read others have had on the forum. The dealership is in the process though of getting the regional tech out here to take a look at the car since the techs here can't seem to pinpoint the cause of the noise.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

The SRT6 prices are looking great on www.Autotrader.com new and used.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:32 PM

respdoc,

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like you've hooked yours up really nicely. Depending how things are looking for me financially later in the year, I may be looking for one.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:32 AM

I saw that area, but when you click from there to build one, it's not an option. Maybe it's just because of the Employee Price program - i.e. maybe it doesn't apply to the SRT-6.
I'll be curious to see how much dealers will let them go for once 2006 model year vehicles start coming out.
from DC employee pricing email: *excludes Chrysler 300, SRT and 2006 models.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:55 PM

i thought i'd let you know that this problem seems to occur with all the cars on the website.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by respdoc
---
Only other issue the common "ticking" engine noise I have read others have had on the forum. The dealership is in the process though of getting the regional tech out here to take a look at the car since the techs here can't seem to pinpoint the cause of the noise.
If you should ever get a good/straight answer on this "ticking" noise, please pass it along. My dealer's service manager is telling me it is "normal" to the SRT-6. I don't buy that. However, the car does not seem to be having any problems due to the tick, and I hardly notice it anymore. Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I "heard" the ticking, and will have to listen for it the next time I'm driving. One thing, it is definitely symmetrical, and to me sounds very much like lifter noise.

Coyote

Old 07-23-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ZappaIsAlive
from DC employee pricing email: *excludes Chrysler 300, SRT and 2006 models.
If you check auto-trader, There are a lot of new/"used" SRT-6's with very low mileage going for under $35,000... Infact, I saw one the other day for $29,9xx with only 141 miles!

If anyone is interested in purchasing one, I would definitely wait and see what the prices do...

Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Coyote
If you should ever get a good/straight answer on this "ticking" noise, please pass it along. My dealer's service manager is telling me it is "normal" to the SRT-6. I don't buy that. However, the car does not seem to be having any problems due to the tick, and I hardly notice it anymore. Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I "heard" the ticking, and will have to listen for it the next time I'm driving. One thing, it is definitely symmetrical, and to me sounds very much like lifter noise.

Coyote
Are you hearing this ticking while at idle?

Old 07-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZappaIsAlive
Are you hearing this ticking while at idle?
Yes, I did hear the tick at idle. If you listened from a position above
the engine, you could hear the tick coming alternately from each side
of the motor. The sound was not evident until after the car had been
driven. I do not hear the sound when the car is first started in the morning.

Coyote

Old 07-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Coyote

Coyote
Well for an update and to make a long story shorter...I have taken the car back several times for this issue and after multiple attempts by the service center to fix this problem and going from the excuses of "we can't hear a noise" to "yes, there is a noise but we have no idea how to fix it, but can assure you the engine is ok"...this is really starting to become a pain in my behind.

This last time I was told a regional tech. would be coming in to take a look at the car, this person never came but a "district rep" was to be in town. I asked to be contacted by him personally after he looked at the car. Of course I never was, and supposedly he told the service advisor they're was nothing they could do "the sound was normal". This was supposedly also the end of the line for my calls to Customer Care since they said the district rep./manager was over the dealership...blah, blah...

So now my states attorney general is involved in this issue. I really didn't want this to turn into a lemon law thing but I'm sorry..I will not buy the idea that this sound is normal because A) it happens everytime, without change, when the car is at idle or low speeds (the exhaust baffles any sound higher then about 15 + mph. so the engine could still be ticking but I would not be able to hear it. B) Common sense would say there is no way the dealership could say for certain the "the engine is fine" if they have no idea where the ticking sound is coming from and have supposedly looked over the whole vehicle/dash area/cables etc. The car only has so many parts that could be causing this and since I highly doubt the car is possessed, there is a logical cause to this repeated, always there, ticking sound.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:28 PM

respdoc,

Did you ever get an answer on that 'ticking' issue?

Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Forum Regular

respdoc,

Did you ever get an answer on that 'ticking' issue??

Nothing yet from the state's office. I know they are dealing with DB. head offices and now that the attorney general is involved, all communications need to be in writing so my understanding is they are still waiting on a "formal response" from them.

Quick Reply: Has the SRT-6 been discontinued??