Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Question for the experts

Old 04-12-2021, 05:54 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Question for the experts

What are the recommended shocks for the SRT-6? Are they easy to change for a 76 year old?

Old 04-13-2021, 01:11 AM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: Question for the experts

If you know how to change shocks they are fairly simple. Nothing complex about our setup. With that said, I still paid somebody to do mine as suspension stuff is the one thing I dont mess with. Im running Bilstein B8's on my car.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:24 PM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
What are the recommended shocks for the SRT-6? Are they easy to change for a 76 year old?
ZERACER
The attached link contains the various models that Bilstein offers for the 2004 MB SLK32, equal to the SRT6 model. Sachs is the brand name used on our SRT6's from the Karmann factory. The Bilstein's are a better shock. The install is easy on the front end, but the rear install is more complicated due to removal of trunk trim and pieces to access the upper fasteners. Use the search button and look for te threads for shock installations for the model Crossfire you have.
Good Luck....
Dennis
DTMenace

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG bilstein shocks in Car & Truck Parts | eBay

Old 04-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Thank you sir.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMenace
ZERACER
The attached link contains the various models that Bilstein offers for the 2004 MB SLK32, equal to the SRT6 model. Sachs is the brand name used on our SRT6's from the Karmann factory. The Bilstein's are a better shock. The install is easy on the front end, but the rear install is more complicated due to removal of trunk trim and pieces to access the upper fasteners. Use the search button and look for te threads for shock installations for the model Crossfire you have.
Good Luck....
Dennis
DTMenace

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG bilstein shocks in Car & Truck Parts | eBay
I am approaching my time to replace my shocks on all four corners. Id love to go cheap, but I am willing to save and spend a little more if it is worth it. Should I go for OE shocks, some performance shocks (sounds like the Bilstein ones are fit for that), or should I go all out for coilovers? I know Needswings has a few options (I would probably go for the $700 ones)

Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by griffinregan
I am approaching my time to replace my shocks on all four corners. Id love to go cheap, but I am willing to save and spend a little more if it is worth it. Should I go for OE shocks, some performance shocks (sounds like the Bilstein ones are fit for that), or should I go all out for coilovers? I know Needswings has a few options (I would probably go for the $700 ones)
I would avoid the KYB ones made specifically for the Crossfire, they are taller in the back and the tire can rub against the car when going over speed bumps. They don't perform that well either. If I could do it all over again I would either go for the Monroe brand or the Sachs for the SLK320.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:38 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronman
I would avoid the KYB ones made specifically for the Crossfire, they are taller in the back and the tire can rub against the car when going over speed bumps. They don't perform that well either. If I could do it all over again I would either go for the Monroe brand or the Sachs for the SLK320.
I second that, the longer KYB rear shock also makes it difficult to remove and install the wheel, as it is jammed up against the front fender well.
I use one of those blank wheel locator studs which gives some leverage to get the wheel on.

The following users liked this post:
CROSSFIRERUSH (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

From 4/15/2020 - https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...endations.html

Original equipment was Bilstein, that said I upgraded to the B6's. Two individuals with Corvettes have done the same and we all are happy with the ride/results.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by copperfieldkid
From 4/15/2020 - https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...endations.html

Original equipment was Bilstein, that said I upgraded to the B6's. Two individuals with Corvettes have done the same and we all are happy with the ride/results.
Original equipment was Stabilus not Bilstein.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like my Koni sports -- you can adjust the rebound dampening and it makes things a lot more comfortable (and you can dial up the firmness when you want to push the car harder). The Koni install does take a little bit of extra work over some of the other as you need to take the bumpstops, dust cover, and other hardware from the old shocks, enlarge one of the holes on the removed hardware, and install them on the Koni shocks.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by waxhell
I like my Koni sports -- you can adjust the rebound dampening and it makes things a lot more comfortable (and you can dial up the firmness when you want to push the car harder). The Koni install does take a little bit of extra work over some of the other as you need to take the bumpstops, dust cover, and other hardware from the old shocks, enlarge one of the holes on the removed hardware, and install them on the Koni shocks.
I used the adjustable Konis and use them on the softest settings,the rears are harder to adjust as the adjustment is hidden by the black trim panels.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I used the adjustable Konis and use them on the softest settings,the rears are harder to adjust as the adjustment is hidden by the black trim panels.
I made a hole in the trim panels specifically to access the adjustment ***** for the rear.