Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Building a SRT6

Old 01-21-2022, 12:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Building a SRT6

So, I have a Mercedes AMG 3.2 complete with blower, air charge radiator and pump etc. I also have a base six speed 2005 Crossfire which I've owned since 2006. The obvious plan is to introduce the new AMG engine to the car.

Obvious concerns / questions are what problems should I foresee in doing this swap? I presume mechanically the engine will bolt up to the six speed tranny, and a new uprated ACT Clutch will help transfer a bit of the extra power. I also presume the Mercedes brand intercooler etc will bolt into the Crossfire. Don't know if it is necessary, but the car already has the SRT nose (is the lower portion used at all for the air charge radiator?),

What I haven't developed a plan for at this time is how to handle the fuel/ignition issue. One idea is to use the SRT-6 ecu to handle the engine and ignore all of the body control systems that talk to the transmission.
I've hunted around this forum but was not able to find anyone that has done (and then documented) what I plan to do.

Comments, critiques etc are welcomed, just don't get too carried away questioning my sanity/judgement
Thanks
Henry

Last edited by HPMotors1; 01-21-2022 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 01-21-2022, 01:10 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: Building a SRT6

Expensive project, it would be cheaper and easier to find a good SRT-6. IMO

Old 01-21-2022, 01:18 PM

You miss the point. Gotta have a six speed.

I think it is simpler to mod a six speed car than to tranny swap an automatic car.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:48 PM

Best wishes in your venture. It has been done before.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Best wishes in your venture. It has been done before.
Hey Thanks for the best wishes. Were any of the previous builds documented like on this site?

One question I have is can the Crossfire ecu be reflashed to handle the fueling and ignition issues needed to handle boost?

Old 01-21-2022, 06:00 PM

Try typing V-8 into search and see what all comes up. You might also try Utube?

Worlds Cheapest V8 Swap - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Old 01-21-2022, 06:15 PM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

You have the right formula. You'll need to get with Josh @sk8erjosh09 from Mercedes Swap Shop to get the electronics to be happy. You'll need the SRT-6 ECU. Yes on uprated clutch. Exhaust will bolt up, but not flow what the SRT-6 exhaust will. After that, you'll need to think about suspension and brakes, which are going to prove to be inadequate against the increased power, pretty quickly. As far as swaps go, it's a direct bolt in. There's been other swaps, and there are always naysayers. Even after the swap is done. The question will only be, are you happy with it?

The following users liked this post:
sk8erjosh09 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 12:46 AM
Received 146 Likes on 112 Posts

This is an expensive venture. I have first hand experience

it would have been a lot more cost effective to sell my limited and to have purchased an SRT. And then to have painted it white.

No option for manual transmission. You will be limited to the auto transmission. There is no provision for the MANUAL with the M112K engine. No can do, many have considered it and its just not going to happen.

Most is plug and play but you will still need to add wiring. In addition your donor is a manual that too means a lot more work in prepping all for the swap.

Yes, the SRT front bumper is required for air flow through the cooler.
you will also need the BCM from an SRT coupe or convertible (must be the same style you have) if your going to delete the spoiler and replace it with a fixed wing.

Just my 2 cents worth of wisdom on this.
how does the saying go
”Experience is a great teacher but it sure does cost a lot”

if you’re determined that this is the way to go, then jump in with both feet

Old 01-23-2022, 09:07 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So here's the update on the AMG engine transplant so you guys & gals don't have to go thru the hell I did. First off, manual transmission with the AMG engine is a major problem. The bolt pattern on the crankshaft flange between the two engines is different and a new flywheel / pressure plate from a 2006 C230 Sport Coupe must be used, this is the only flywheel I have found to have the 4+4 bolt pattern that is used on the SRT6 crank. But the flywheel must be modified slightly because there are three dowels that align the pressure plate to the clutch cover and these are different from the OEM. You could use a clutch from the C230 though and this would solve your problem, but I had a SPEC clutch that needed to be fitted...

A quote from an old thread.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ransplant.html

Les

Last edited by velociabstract; 01-23-2022 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Link
Old 01-23-2022, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=velociabstract;964761]So here's the update on the AMG engine transplant so you guys & gals don't have to go thru the hell I did. First off, manual transmission with the AMG engine is a major problem. The bolt pattern on the crankshaft flange between the two engines is different and a new flywheel / pressure plate from a 2006 C230 Sport Coupe must be used,

This is really interesting and the first time I’ve read that the mating of manual transmission has been accomplished. Maybe I’ve been living inter a rock.

I’ve tried to search posts for more detail but have been unable to locate Would you be able to post any images of the build and end result or attach a link to the build process thread. This is definitely worth looking into.

I’ve always thought this pairing was impossible. Learn something new everyday.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:24 AM

Josh Chase has one, also, and offers the programming to do it as a service.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:37 AM

Are you sure? I know Josh has mated the M113 to a six speed but wasn't aware of a combo with the M112.

The thread I linked has tons of pictures. Perhaps what you'd like to see isn't included. Take a good look just in case.

Les

Old 01-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Are you sure? I know Josh has mated the M113 to a six speed but wasn't aware of a combo with the M112.

The thread I linked has tons of pictures. Perhaps what you'd like to see isn't included. Take a good look just in case.

Les
I’ve reviewed the thread listed and couldn’t locate images of the M112k mated with the 6 speed in or out of the car and would love to see this in action. If you would be willing and when you have time could you please take a few images or video. I would really like to see the end result.

(Just when I thought I was coming to the end of my new project list now I’m super interested.)

Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 AM

It's not my car. I believe the gentleman is still around. (HPPD)

Les

Old 01-23-2022, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
It's not my car. I believe the gentleman is still around. (HPPD)

Les
Ohh
My bad 😞
I had assumed by your post that you had managed to achieve what I’ve been led to believe was impossible.
Your knowledge about it in the thread below appeared to point to successful installation.

“So here's the update on the AMG engine transplant so you guys & gals don't have to go thru the hell I did. First off, manual transmission with the AMG engine is a major problem.”

Do any members out there have any additional insights on mating M112K with a manual transmission?

Old 01-23-2022, 07:32 PM

@sk8erjosh09

Old 01-23-2022, 08:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have one in my drive way right now lol. Black on black on black SRT6 with a manual. I’m working out the bugs because we don’t want to go fixed pulley.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Ohh
My bad 😞
I had assumed by your post that you had managed to achieve what I’ve been led to believe was impossible.
Your knowledge about it in the thread below appeared to point to successful installation.

“So here's the update on the AMG engine transplant so you guys & gals don't have to go thru the hell I did. First off, manual transmission with the AMG engine is a major problem.”

Do any members out there have any additional insights on mating M112K with a manual transmission?
I have one and its a blast to drive.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:35 PM

Are you guys running the V8 m113?

I’m interested to see if there are any M112K with 6 speed manual

Old 01-23-2022, 10:45 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Are you guys running the V8 m113?

I’m interested to see if there are any M112K with 6 speed manual
I’ve done the electronics for 8 M112K manuals. About 30 M113 Manuals and maybe 5 M113K manuals.

Quick Reply: Building a SRT6