Crossfire V8 conversions A section to discuss anything about a Crossfire modified with a V8 Engine

Worlds Cheapest V8 Swap

Old 03-10-2020, 02:50 PM
Received 355 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Re: Worlds Cheapest V8 Swap

Wouldn't that be sad if it was scrapped for a bad CPS. Good for you though.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Wouldn't that be sad if it was scrapped for a bad CPS. Good for you though.
That's what I was thinking.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined though, and some people can afford to throw away a car and buy another.

No big deal, they were on my list of things to replace anyhow.

I'm just glad me and my carpool companion weren't on our way to work in it!!

Got the sensors ordered, Crank sensor will be here tomorrow, Cam sensor on Thursday.

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 03-10-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:38 AM
Received 412 Likes on 354 Posts

A QUICK note to all, make sure the sensors you buy are true BOSCH! Some sellers cleverly word sales as bosch but may or may not state they are a clone or knockoff. Just look deep into an ad, sometimes the seller will include the item is a BOSCH replacement (replacement) then when you get it the part isn't bosch. Just saying!

Old 03-11-2020, 12:44 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

A QUICK note to all, make sure the sensors you buy are true BOSCH! Some sellers cleverly word sales as bosch but may or may not state they are a clone or knockoff. Just look deep into an ad, sometimes the seller will include the item is a BOSCH replacement (replacement) then when you get it the part isn't bosch. Just saying!

Bought the same sensors from the same seller when I purchased the replacements for me Red XF.

They both showed up in blue boxes that said Bosch.

Jared

Old 03-11-2020, 12:45 AM
Forum Regular

Multiple post.... Deleted.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:59 PM
Forum Regular

Grinding rotational noise coming from the front of the engine. I used a stethoscope and narrowed it down to the water pump.

Once I realized where it was coming from I remembered that the water pump took some effort to start turning by hand and had a lumpy feeling.

I went ahead and ordered a GMB pump and a Motorad thermostat...… this should be fun!! It's a much tighter space in front of the engine now!!

I was interested in what the resistance between the battery negative terminal and the engine block would be. I got 40 ohms of resistance. I will be picking up a ground cable that I will run to the battery/body ground bolt and terminate at a bell housing bolt. That should cure that.

I was also doing some research last night on the 722.6 transmissions. After 2000, it seems that there are 2 most common transmissions and a few specialty models. There is the W5A330, and the W5A580. The 3 last digits in the sub type model number denotes the safe input torque in Nm for the transmission. Translated to English, that is 243 lb ft for the 330, and 428 lb ft for the 580.

The N/A Crossfire and MB cars with 4 cylinders and V6's have the 330, and the SRT6 and many N/A V8 MB cars have the 580. I can change the coding in my stock TCM for the SRT6 transmission, and am considering purchasing one. I can swap out the 4 blade yoke for my 3 blade yoke.

I could change the coding right now for the SRT6 transmission, but will trigger limp mode since the 2 transmissions have a very slight difference in gear ratios.

I do have to admit that I wasn't counting on a transmission swap. That's the way it goes with modern cars I guess..... all the sensors and self preservation programs built in to keep the driver from destroying something. Nannies!!! To many Nannies!!

Jared

Old 03-11-2020, 02:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on getting it running

Old 03-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Jared

Unfortunately, even if you fit a V8/SRT6 transmission and change the standard TCU coding (to SRT6) it still won't work. The TCU coding for the SRT has a 3.07 diff ratio and you have a 3.27 diff. It doesn't matter which transmission you use, you'll need a custom TCU tune for your car (unless you also want to change the diff).

Andrew

Old 03-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CL770
Hi Jared

Unfortunately, even if you fit a V8/SRT6 transmission and change the standard TCU coding (to SRT6) it still won't work. The TCU coding for the SRT has a 3.07 diff ratio and you have a 3.27 diff. It doesn't matter which transmission you use, you'll need a custom TCU tune for your car (unless you also want to change the diff).

Andrew
Hey Andrew,
What's telling the TCM that I have a 3.27 diff? How does it know, more importantly, why does the TCM care what my rear end ratio is?

Jared

Old 03-11-2020, 06:02 PM
Received 412 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Bought the same sensors from the same seller when I purchased the replacements for me Red XF.

They both showed up in blue boxes that said Bosch.

Jared

I hope everyone included in the 'ALL' post doesn't post an answer... Surely you didn't think I was suggesting you make sure they are Bosch? I have read posts from you before (I believe) that said you only bought BOSCH sensors, or was mentioned in the post, and you were well aware already about the problems many have with non-bosch sensors (because of the problems associated with the knock-offs not performing as expected). It was a general release post for all who peruse the posts, and no offense or suggestion was implied.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (01-29-2023)
Old 03-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I hope everyone included in the 'ALL' post doesn't post an answer... Surely you didn't think I was suggesting you make sure they are Bosch? I have read posts from you before (I believe) that said you only bought BOSCH sensors, or was mentioned in the post, and you were well aware already about the problems many have with non-bosch sensors (because of the problems associated with the knock-offs not performing as expected). It was a general release post for all who peruse the posts, and no offense or suggestion was implied.

Yeah... That's my bad. I got a little huffy and was quick to post. I then realized that you were speaking in general.

It is important information. It's not worth the risk to install bottom shelf electronic components.

Jared

×Crossfire1× (01-29-2023)
Old 03-11-2020, 06:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Hey Andrew,
What's telling the TCM that I have a 3.27 diff? How does it know, more importantly, why does the TCM care what my rear end ratio is?

Jared
The diff ratio is hard coded into the TCU firmware. If you select SRT6 (bh52) you get a 3.07 ratio, select NA (bf51) and you get 3.27. To get a 3.27 ratio with an SRT setting the TCU firmware has to be edited. The firmware can be modified for any diff ratio you want.
If you don't have the correct ratio in your TCU, your transmission will go into limp mode as soon as it changes through a few gears.

To sum it up, for a V8/SRT6 transmission in a NA car, you'll need a SRT6 TCU modified with a 3.27 diff ratio. I can make one for you if you need it.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CL770
The diff ratio is hard coded into the TCU firmware. If you select SRT6 (bh52) you get a 3.07 ratio, select NA (bf51) and you get 3.27. To get a 3.27 ratio with an SRT setting the TCU firmware has to be edited. The firmware can be modified for any diff ratio you want.
If you don't have the correct ratio in your TCU, your transmission will go into limp mode as soon as it changes through a few gears.

To sum it up, for a V8/SRT6 transmission in a NA car, you'll need a SRT6 TCU modified with a 3.27 diff ratio. I can make one for you if you need it.
I'll shoot you an email so we can trade specifics.

I found the tranny I would like to have on eBay, only has 35000 miles on it, the yard parting out the car was even nice enough to take a picture of the odometer. Don't have the $600 at the moment though and there's no overtime at work right now.

It'll probably be a while before I get to experience the full potential of this engine swap.

Jared

Old 03-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't you get your TCU a "performance tune"? I think the torque limits can be raised.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Can't you get your TCU a "performance tune"? I think the torque limits can be raised.
I was just on the phone talking to my wife about that very thing. $300 and Eurocharged can tune and raise the torque limit.

I may go that route as a temporary solution. At the end of the day, it will still be a weaker transmission that wasn't designed to handle this much power reliably. I do have another N/A transmission too though.

At this time, it might be the most affordable solution.

Jared

Old 03-11-2020, 07:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Worst case you destroy a transmission you want to replace anyway! I have tried the Eurocharged tune in my SRT. I would see if they can turn the torque limits OFF.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Worst case you destroy a transmission you want to replace anyway
That's pretty much what I just told her. These cars are so light anyways that unless I'm at the drag strip, it will probably last a while. And I have a spare transmission with 93k on it. The purchase of the Eurocharged tune was approved. I'm going to hop back on their website and figure out the specifics.

Jared

Old 03-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Forum Regular

Just got off the phone with Sean at Eurocharged and the TCU tune is paid for.

I will pull it out and ship it today if I have time.

He will raise the input torque to 1500nm..... that's 1100ft lbs. That should do it!!

Jared

Old 03-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Is a newton meter equivalent to the torque generated by Sir Isaac hanging on the end of a yard ( meter ) stick ?

Old 03-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Is a newton meter equivalent to the torque generated by Sir Isaac hanging on the end of a yard ( meter ) stick ?
I don't buy into that metric crap.

Give me inches, feet, yards, miles, and foot pounds!!

Anyways, the TCU only takes like 10 seconds to remove so I dropped it off at the UPS store and Sean at Eurocharged will have it tomorrow. He said if I overnighted it, he would cover overnight shipping back to me. Good deal!!

Jared

MAYAman (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Worlds Cheapest V8 Swap