Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

What a difference a clay makes

Old 06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a difference a clay makes

Decided to dig out the ol' Griott's clay bar with Fast Shine. Works great. Slick as a baby's butt and easy to use.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Forum Regular
Question Re: What a difference a clay makes

Glad to hear you did this, BUT, what did you apply to the paint afterwards.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: What a difference a clay makes

Originally Posted by Aero Blue
Glad to hear you did this, BUT, what did you apply to the paint afterwards.
Nothing...yet. I am going to finish today. Actually, I used the clay to remove some grit I could feel but not see (the purpose of the clay bar of course , then I used the Speed Shine (formerly called Fast Shine) afterwards. Did a great job. More today.

Last edited by Cissy; 06-19-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Forum Regular
Arrow Re: What a difference a clay makes

Speed shine is great product for both claying and maintaining. After you wax your car after the claying though, you can use another quality product from Griots called "Spray Wax" to use inbetween waxes. Its kinda like Speed Shine but has more wax in it. I really enjoy this product as well and is great for those who want to add a little something to car every couple weeks after a wash. BTW, what are you waxing with these days?

Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Speed shine is great product for both claying and maintaining. After you wax your car after the claying though, you can use another quality product from Griots called "Spray Wax" to use inbetween waxes. Its kinda like Speed Shine but has more wax in it. I really enjoy this product as well and is great for those who want to add a little something to car every couple weeks after a wash. BTW, what are you waxing with these days?
Aero
I have had my XF for only 6 months, so no wax yet. The finish right now is so great, I won't need a real wax job yet. My birthday is coming up so I told my husband I want Griot's. I want MORE Speed Shine, Clay and Spray-on Wax, Boar's Hair Wheel Brush and Paint Sealant.

I absolutely love that Speed Shine. It works GREAT.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cissy
I have had my XF for only 6 months, so no wax yet. The finish right now is so great, I won't need a real wax job yet.
i waxed mine the week i got it... a car can always use a good protection of wax... even when new.

a car should be waxed every 3 months or so... if driven regularly.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Forum Regular

I guess most people have more time on their hands. Most weeks I work 6 days, 9 hours. I have only Sundays most of the time. I am happy the way my XF looks. Clean, slick and shiny. As soon as I get a good wax product I like, I will wax it...which should be soon now. In the mean time, I clay and spray with Speed Shine which takes up most of my Sunday. I love cleaning my car. It gets washed every Sunday, whether it needs it or not. I can see dirt where others cannot...can't we all? LOL

I got to have today off (finally a week with TWO days off). I shined my car up and now I am going to have an ice cold Miller lite in the backyard and play with my dog...knowing Beeblebrox is clean and shiny. Life is good (at least until I rack up 6 days next week). :P

Anyone who has lots of time can volunteer.

Last edited by Cissy; 06-19-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew
i waxed mine the week i got it... a car can always use a good protection of wax... even when new.

a car should be waxed every 3 months or so... if driven regularly.
Same here, and every month since then.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: What a difference a clay makes

I'm not trying to be overbearing Cissy so don't get too mad, but you really need to apply wax right after you clay. As you know the clay bar removes the "grit" that's in the air and when you drive. Applying a coat of wax afterwards protects the paint, so its VERY important to put "something" on there afterwards as you don't want your hard work to go down the drain. I understand your time is precious and this makes doing it right the first time even more important.

Now as far as the Griots Paint Sealant goes, well, its said to be made for people just like you. Those w/o alot of extra time to detail their ride but they still want to protect it. I agree with Andrew, every 3 months is a good rule of thumb. I wish I could give you some of my free time Cissy or better yet, I wish I could detail that Alabaster Crossfire for you.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Forum Regular

I'm not trying to be overbearing Cissy so don't get too mad, but you really need to apply wax right after you clay. As you know the clay bar removes the "grit" that's in the air and when you drive. Applying a coat of wax afterwards protects the paint, so its VERY important to put "something" on there afterwards as you don't want your hard work to go down the drain. I understand your time is precious and this makes doing it right the first time even more important.

Now as far as the Griots Paint Sealant goes, well, its said to be made for people just like you. Those w/o alot of extra time to detail their ride but they still want to protect it. I agree with Andrew, every 3 months is a good rule of thumb. I wish I could give you some of my free time Cissy or better yet, I wish I could detail that Alabaster Crossfire for you.
Thanks Aero! No problem! I had thought by using Speed Shine I would be ok...however, this coming Sunday (my day off), I shall apply wax.

Thank you!