Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Finally Detailed My Crossfire

Old 04-29-2007, 05:16 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Finally Detailed My Crossfire

We have another beautiful weekend in the Windy City. So, I decided to do a full detail on my car. It had annoying swirl marks that were very noticeable on a black car. This past Christmas I got a PC 7424 from my wife.

I've always used Meguiars products, but decided to follow the Adam's video instructions to the 'T'.

Step 1 - I started with a good wash, including power washing the wheel wells, undercarriage and engine compartment.

Step 2 - Clayed the car with Magic Clay.

Step 3 - Used my PC-7424 using Adam's Swirl Remover

Step 4 - Without wiping off the haze from step 3, I applied Adam's Polish Revived, also using my polisher.

Step 5 - After wiping off the polish, I applied Adam's Butter Wax, and removed the wax with the polisher as well, than used a quality micro fiber towel.
Step 6 - Applied Adam's water based VRT tire and rubber dressing. BTW, great stuff.

Looks great, but I have to say that at night, I can still see some swirls when I'm pulling up with my other car behind it, and shining my light on it.

Here are some before pics, followed by after pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire 054.jpg (18.2 KB, 136 views)
Crossfire 055.jpg (15.8 KB, 90 views)
Crossfire 056.jpg (18.1 KB, 58 views)
Crossfire 057.jpg (15.7 KB, 73 views)
Crossfire 058.jpg (16.1 KB, 76 views)
Crossfire 059.jpg (17.4 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by FP; 04-29-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:22 PM
FP
Default Re: Finally Detailed My Crossfire

The after pics.

Attached Images
Crossfire 060.jpg (16.6 KB, 44 views)
Crossfire 061.jpg (14.8 KB, 29 views)
Crossfire 062.jpg (16.0 KB, 35 views)
Crossfire 063.jpg (16.9 KB, 24 views)
Crossfire 065.jpg (13.8 KB, 23 views)
Crossfire 066.jpg (16.1 KB, 47 views)
Crossfire 067.jpg (16.0 KB, 39 views)
Crossfire 068.jpg (16.0 KB, 25 views)
Crossfire 069.jpg (14.6 KB, 20 views)
Crossfire 070.jpg (11.6 KB, 31 views)
Crossfire 071.jpg (14.3 KB, 34 views)
Crossfire 072.jpg (12.1 KB, 32 views)
Crossfire 073.jpg (15.6 KB, 30 views)
Crossfire 074.jpg (10.4 KB, 32 views)
Crossfire 075.jpg (13.0 KB, 29 views)
Crossfire 076.jpg (14.0 KB, 38 views)
Crossfire 078.jpg (11.1 KB, 62 views)
Crossfire 079.jpg (9.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FP, removing the swirls depends on the type of foam pad you are using with the PC and also the polish you are using. how long & at what speed. Even then, the severity of the swirls would even depend on what pad you are using and also the polish. I don't use Adams products (not saying it is bad or good, just never tried them). I currently use Pinnacle XMT polish ( I have 1, 2 & 3; 1 being the least abrasive & 3 the most) but there are many good polishes on the market. You aren't using the white pad that came with the PC are you?

Check out autogeek (http://www.autogeekonline.net/) this site has all kinds of info and advice on removing swirls, good prices on products too.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

It's about time you cleaned that car.
Looks good.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
FP

Originally Posted by snowtop57
You aren't using the white pad that came with the PC are you?
Yes, I did use the white pad at speed 5, and 6 on the rear where most of the swirls were visible. What do you recommend?

Last edited by FP; 04-29-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Finally Detailed My Crossfire

Snowtop is right the Pinnacle products are great for removing swirl marks. It is best to do small areas at a time, and try to spend at least 5 - 7 minutes in each area using the swirl removers. Follow the threads listed below at autogeek for better instructions.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...black-car.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...must-read.html

Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
FP

See my gallery for better quality pics. I could not load large images to the post.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
Yes, I did use the white pad at speed 5, and 6 on the rear where most of the swirls were visible. What do you recommend?
That pad on the PC is only for backing to use with a bonnet.
I currently use the 6"Edge pads and have various colors, rather than explain the different colors go to www.autogeek.net/theedgebuffing.html and they have a video and other info there that can explain it better than I can. But these pads are great.

I believe they have a coupon code for your first order that will knock off the shipping charges. Right now the pad kit that I have is on sale again for $99 (regular $150) plus get free shipping. There is all kinds of helpful information in their forum as well. I've learned a lot in the past year and now my Grand Cherokee & Crossfire is swirl free.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
FP

Snowtop, thanks for sharing this. It seems like they have pretty good stuff, but there are two swirl removing products. Which one are you using?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
Snowtop, thanks for sharing this. It seems like they have pretty good stuff, but there are two swirl removing products. Which one are you using?
FP, I'm not sure what you mean by 2 swirl removing products.
If you are referring to the actual polish they really have more than 2 brands. But I use the Pinnacle XMT products. They have 4 different ones:
XMT 1 being the least abrasive and XMT 4 is the most abrasive. They have just released a new one called XMT 360. This is supposed to correct, clean & seal the finish. Then you would go over with a good carnuba wax.
I just ordered & received a bottle of the XMT 360, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

On my Grand Cherokee, which is dark blue, I used XMT 2 with a green Edge foam pad on the PC, speed set at 5 1/2, went over it again with XMT 1 with a blue Edge foam pad. I then used Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with the white Edge foam pad. The carnuba waxes I always apply by hand and use Cobra microfiber towels to remove. This process did take me all day, but it was worth it as I removed 99% of my swirls. I need to detail it again and it is still looking pretty good as far as the swirls go. So this time I will probably just use the XMT 360 then go over it with my carnuba wax.

Now, if you are talking about the foam pads, I have the regular Edge 6 inch foam pads, they came out with the wave pads later after I already purchased mine. Since I never tried them I couldn't tell you if they are any better or not. There is also another popular pad called Lake Country and many on the Autogeek forum use them with good results as well. I chose the Edge pads because I like the quick change adapter, plus you are able to use both sides of the pad which comes in handy if you are using 2 different products with the same pad.

I hope this has answered your question.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
FP

Originally Posted by snowtop57
I hope this has answered your question.
Yep, it does.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Finally Detailed My Crossfire

This is some great info!! I have a lot of swirl marks on my black coupe that I really want to get out. This sounds like the real deal and something that is not real hard to do. Thanks!!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Finally Detailed My Crossfire

By the way FP, nice looking machine!!

Old 05-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FP!! It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I hope all is well with you. Congrats on detailing your car. For certain using the white pad that came with the pc was a pretty bad choice, but we are all here to learn. Just like what everyone has been saying, purchase a high-quality pad set. I have the Edge 2000 pad kit for the PC. I like it, but after trying out Wolfgang's pads with the traditional velcro backing plate, I might be thinking of switching back to backing plates as they seem alot smoother. More importantly, the Edge 2000 locking system is truly a PITA for pad removal in that the intense pressure needed to unlock the pad from the centering mechanism becomes very fatiguing and painful after hours and hours of polishing using multiple pads (I detailed a 40 foot by 12 foot RV this weekend for three days, and my thumbs were very sore after using them). Also, don't forget to add some pressure to the PC while using it, typically 25-30 lbs of pressure midway through polishing a section, and keep on using speed 6, especially for correction. Another suggestion that you may or may not like is to remove the handle from the PC...this has made the PC vibrate less while at higher speeds, therefore allowing me to become less fatigued in the long-run. I did see some swirls in the paint. I think after all that work, a glaze should make you happy, as it would fill-in the remaining swirls in the paint. Next time around, get the nice pad set and try to do an even better job at swirl removal. As for polish suggestions, the Optimum and Poorboy's line is excellent for beginners as they are very user friendly. At a Poorboy's detailing event, the Poorboy's products were used on a black car with a surface temperature of over 160 degrees F without any problems. The Optimum line of polishes never seem to loose their lubrication and NEVER have produced dust, which is great, but then again the Optimum line of polishes, even the redesigned products, take very, very long to break down completely. Personally, my next polishes will be the Menzerna line of pro polishes, as they are regarded as some of the best in the industry. They dust alot and are pretty darn pricey though, but I'm ready to deal with this. Enjoy the car and the refreshed look!

Old 05-27-2007, 01:46 AM
FP

Originally Posted by golfdude
FP!! It's been a while since I've been on the forum. I hope all is well with you. Congrats on detailing your car. For certain using the white pad that came with the pc was a pretty bad choice, but we are all here to learn. Just like what everyone has been saying, purchase a high-quality pad set. I have the Edge 2000 pad kit for the PC. I like it, but after trying out Wolfgang's pads with the traditional velcro backing plate, I might be thinking of switching back to backing plates as they seem alot smoother. More importantly, the Edge 2000 locking system is truly a PITA for pad removal in that the intense pressure needed to unlock the pad from the centering mechanism becomes very fatiguing and painful after hours and hours of polishing using multiple pads (I detailed a 40 foot by 12 foot RV this weekend for three days, and my thumbs were very sore after using them). Also, don't forget to add some pressure to the PC while using it, typically 25-30 lbs of pressure midway through polishing a section, and keep on using speed 6, especially for correction. Another suggestion that you may or may not like is to remove the handle from the PC...this has made the PC vibrate less while at higher speeds, therefore allowing me to become less fatigued in the long-run. I did see some swirls in the paint. I think after all that work, a glaze should make you happy, as it would fill-in the remaining swirls in the paint. Next time around, get the nice pad set and try to do an even better job at swirl removal. As for polish suggestions, the Optimum and Poorboy's line is excellent for beginners as they are very user friendly. At a Poorboy's detailing event, the Poorboy's products were used on a black car with a surface temperature of over 160 degrees F without any problems. The Optimum line of polishes never seem to loose their lubrication and NEVER have produced dust, which is great, but then again the Optimum line of polishes, even the redesigned products, take very, very long to break down completely. Personally, my next polishes will be the Menzerna line of pro polishes, as they are regarded as some of the best in the industry. They dust alot and are pretty darn pricey though, but I'm ready to deal with this. Enjoy the car and the refreshed look!
Thanks for your feedback. I really do appreciate it. I re-did the whole job again with the right pads. I also bought a set of Edge 2000, and a set with the Velcro backing. I used the Adam's products again to give them a fair shot. This time it looks much better.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:47 AM

It's good to hear this! Tell me, aren't the Edge 2000 pads difficult to remove from the centering piece?

Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 AM
FP

It's good to hear this! Tell me, aren't the Edge 2000 pads difficult to remove from the centering piece?
Not if you're only working on a Crossfire. I can see how it may be a problem if you are switch pads often when working on a huge RV.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:55 AM
FP

One more question, do you change the counter weight on the PC when using 6 inch pads?

Old 05-27-2007, 02:10 AM

When it comes to detailing, I don't think anyone could find a more helpful bunch than other members of this forum.

It appears there are a number of very good solutions out there. I think we borrow some and discover others.

When I got my black SRT6 coupe I was so happy to get it I didn't see ALL the swirl marks and scratches in the paint. The dark colors and especially black, are difficult to keep pristine.

I tried a number of products and this is what has really worked for me.

Got a PC and a set of pads (using the velcro type).

Griots #2 polish to lessen the scratches with a coarse yellow pad with the PC set at 5-6, wipe off the haze with a soft micro fiber cloth.

Sonus Swirlbuster Polish (designed for black and dk blue cars) with the orange Sonus Swirlbuster pad (it is extra thick and has grooves to hold the polish) PC set at 5, Again using a soft micro fiber cloth to wipe it down.

Meguiar's NXT Wax applied with the PC using a soft black pad set to 4. Buff the wax off using the PC with a Micro Fiber cover. (using 3 for the car) Meguiar's claims that the NXT wax will fill in some of the fine scratches and is recommended for dark color cars).

After waxing, I use the Sonus Acrylic Glanz sealer/detailer. Spray on wipe to a haze then buff with a soft micro fiber cloth.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Forum Regular

Like FP, I use Adam's Polishes and am wrestling with swirl marks on my Aero Blue SRT-6 roadster. I took my first crack at polishing with the PC a few weeks ago. I figured because my car only had ~ 400 miles on it and I had no experience, I would start light. I mixed the Swirl & Haze Remover with the Revive Polish, set the PC to 3.5, and hit it with the white pad. It made absolutely no difference. If anything, I might have ADDED swirl marks.

So, I decided to experiment on my beater car, a '96 Chevy Lumina. Last weekend, I washed it, clayed a small portion of the hood and tried just the Swirl & Haze Remover with the orange pad and the PC set to 4. After going over that slowly, I used the Revive Polish, the white pad, and left the PC on 4. That did the trick. I had about a one foot square section of the hood looking absolutely perfect.

This weekend, I tried that recipe on my Crossfire. It didn't work. What made a small patch on the Lumina look great did jack squat on the Crossfire. So, I went to the green pad and upped the PC to 5. After that, I used the orange pad, and then finished with the Revive Polish and the white pad. I was able to reduce the swirl marks but not eliminate them. Plus, it took a whole lot of polishing just to get those so-so results (roughly 30 mins on half the hood).

I remember reading somewhere here that the Crossfire has an unusually tough clearcoat. Does this mean it requires extra-abrasive products to get good results? Or does it just take lots and lots of time? Has anybody else managed to remove swirl marks using Adam's products? If so, what's the recipe?

Quick Reply: Finally Detailed My Crossfire