Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

How do you "wash" your microfiber towels?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How do you "wash" your microfiber towels?

OK, there have been lots of comments on good quality microfiber towels that are specialized for different surfaces. However, I have not seen anyone say how they wash their towels. With all the waxes, polishers, these towels collect, what is the best way to wash them that won't leave harmful detergents/chemicals in the towel? Do you hand wash them? put them in the wash machine? use laundry detergent? special microfiber detergent?

I'm looking at buying the Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfier Detergent Concentrate. But, it has me questioning if it is really necessary. -Thanks

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 10-31-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
RPM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you "wash" your microfiber towels?

I use laundry detergent and the washing machine.
I do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets with them.
Seems to work pretty well.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
OK, there have been lots of comments on good quality microfiber towels that are specialized for different surfaces. However, I have not seen anyone say how they wash their towels. With all the waxes, polishers, these towels collect, what is the best way to wash them that won't leave harmful detergents/chemicals in the towel? Do you hand wash them? put them in the wash machine? use laundry detergent? special microfiber detergent?

I'm looking at buying the Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator Microfier Detergent Concentrate. But, it has me questioning if it is really necessary. -Thanks
You might try Griott's Garage online. Since they sell microfiber towels, I bet if you sent an inquiry, you'd probably get an answer. I buy their cleaning products (not the towels as of yet). Very friendly company.

http://www.griotsgarage.com

Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two 100% cotton towels I use, labels cut out. I "blow dry" the car before I hit it with the towel with my leaf blower. That gets off the excess water quickly and also out of cracks and crevises. It only takes 1 towel after that is done. I wash the towels normally in the washing machine, with my wash mit. I dry them in the dryer and I do use a dryer sheet and have seen no ill effects. I alway rinse out my wash bucket before washing the car and it has a rinse section in the bucket.
I have just started using the microfiber towels to go over the car after using the Porter Cable to buff it after waxing. I've owned the car for two and a half years, it has no swirl marks and at the present time about 30 coats of Zaino.
Pat

Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM

I found that a liquid detergent works better than a powder, i use cold water in the washing machine and cool setting on the dryer.

Last edited by acrispy1; 10-31-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: How do you "wash" your microfiber towels?

Any liquid detergent is best and do not use fabric softner and let them air dry.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:47 PM

To be honest, I dont even wash mine...after they get dirty I just toss em. If you go to Sam's you can get a pack of 25 for around 10 bucks. Whenever I have tried to wash them, they are never the same as new.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by baksdak
To be honest, I dont even wash mine...after they get dirty I just toss em. If you go to Sam's you can get a pack of 25 for around 10 bucks. Whenever I have tried to wash them, they are never the same as new.
If you buy a good quality microfiber towel, it shoud be the same wash after wash. I noticed I have two types, one very good and one not so good. I have used them for over a year now and sometimes cake the crap out of them with wax. I use OXICLEAN and let them soak before washing them in tide. They are very soft and no issues.

Steve

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by baksdak
exactly what i do and i get mine at Sams also.About the only thing i have heard about washing them is not to use fabric softener

Old 10-31-2007, 03:30 PM

Sorry guys, I gotta laugh...I can't believe that we're talking about doing laundry! They're TOWELS for crying out loud!!! What's to discuss? When they get dirty, wash 'em. I mean, I care about my car but it's a car after all. Liquid soap, powder, Oxiclean - please, you're killing me. I'm sorry for the post, but it's been a long day and when I took a break to check out the forums this thread just struck me as kinda of ... well, enough said. (I don't mean to offend anyone.)

Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
Sorry guys, I gotta laugh...I can't believe that we're talking about doing laundry! They're TOWELS for crying out loud!!! What's to discuss? When they get dirty, wash 'em. I mean, I care about my car but it's a car after all. Liquid soap, powder, Oxiclean - please, you're killing me. I'm sorry for the post, but it's been a long day and when I took a break to check out the forums this thread just struck me as kinda of ... well, enough said. (I don't mean to offend anyone.)
I know it sounds funny and silly. But at least it is on topic here in this forum. The towels I have are Sonus and Cobra so throwing them away after use is not an option.

At least I didn't ask how to wash clothes. The wifey does that!

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 10-31-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 PM

I love this site for the serious issues (e.g. my "no start" problem which I'm convinced would never have been resolved without the wisdom/experience of members of this forum) and for the "funny and silly." I visit this forum many times during the day and pretty much read every post. I'm always amazed that so much information gets posted, at least 2 to 3 pages each visit. This one just made me start laughing out loud.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fenwick223
This one just made me start laughing out loud.
Humor is the spice of life. Glad to give you a good laugh Fenwick223

Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
Forum Regular

I know it sounds funny and silly. But at least it is on topic here in this forum. The towels I have are Sonus and Cobra so throwing them away after use is not an option.

Ditto, Those "towels" are a bit pricy to be tossing them in the trash. I use liquid tide and cold water, Low heat in the dryer. They come out just fine.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: How do you "wash" your microfiber towels?

At least I didn't ask how to wash clothes. The wifey does that!

I purchase the same and they are not cheap, but they are a much better grade than your everyday microfiber clothes.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 AM

FYI...... Haven't used the product, just some info on cleaning microfiber for the hungry masses

How To Care for Microfiber

Microfiber towels and tools have particular care requirements due to their unusual cleaning properties and composition. As you probably know, microfiber is excellent for dusting and scrubbing because of the static-charged, woven fibers. The combination of polyamide and polyester is incredibly strong and soft, and microfiber towels absorb 7 times their weight in moisture!

For such a technologically advanced fabric, proper care is surprisingly easy. No fabric softener, no bleach, no heat - that’s all you have to remember!

Wash your microfiber in the washing machine with detergent only. Tumble them dry on low heat or no heat. High heat will literally melt the fibers while fabric softener and bleach will eliminate the electric charge that makes microfiber so effective. Avoid those three laundry habits, and your microfiber will last indefinitely.

You might be wondering which detergent is best. Almost any detergent is suitable, but some are better than others. The primary concern is detergent residue; you want a detergent that is clean-rinsing. Powder laundry detergent very often leaves a soapy residue in fabric, and many liquid detergents contain strong perfumes and fabric softeners right inside the detergent. That’s great for clothes, but bad for microfiber.

Your best bet for clean, functional microfiber is Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator. This is a clean-rinsing liquid detergent formulated specifically for microfiber. It contains no bleach, fabric softener, or perfumes. It does, however, contain surfactants and emulsifiers that remove stains from microfiber better than your average laundry detergent. Water softeners prevent hard water deposits within the fibers. Your microfiber towels and tools will come out of the dryer as soft, clean, and magnetic as they were when you bought them.

Even if you have other clothes that could stand to be dried on low heat, don’t put them in with microfiber. The static nature of microfiber will attract every bit of lint from other garments. Wash and dry microfiber separately.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Smile Re: How do you "wash" your microfiber towels?

Originally Posted by xfire2005
FYI...... Haven't used the product, just some info on cleaning microfiber for the hungry masses

How To Care for Microfiber

Microfiber towels and tools have particular care requirements due to their unusual cleaning properties and composition. As you probably know, microfiber is excellent for dusting and scrubbing because of the static-charged, woven fibers. The combination of polyamide and polyester is incredibly strong and soft, and microfiber towels absorb 7 times their weight in moisture!

For such a technologically advanced fabric, proper care is surprisingly easy. No fabric softener, no bleach, no heat - that’s all you have to remember!

Wash your microfiber in the washing machine with detergent only. Tumble them dry on low heat or no heat. High heat will literally melt the fibers while fabric softener and bleach will eliminate the electric charge that makes microfiber so effective. Avoid those three laundry habits, and your microfiber will last indefinitely.

You might be wondering which detergent is best. Almost any detergent is suitable, but some are better than others. The primary concern is detergent residue; you want a detergent that is clean-rinsing. Powder laundry detergent very often leaves a soapy residue in fabric, and many liquid detergents contain strong perfumes and fabric softeners right inside the detergent. That’s great for clothes, but bad for microfiber.

Your best bet for clean, functional microfiber is Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator. This is a clean-rinsing liquid detergent formulated specifically for microfiber. It contains no bleach, fabric softener, or perfumes. It does, however, contain surfactants and emulsifiers that remove stains from microfiber better than your average laundry detergent. Water softeners prevent hard water deposits within the fibers. Your microfiber towels and tools will come out of the dryer as soft, clean, and magnetic as they were when you bought them.

Even if you have other clothes that could stand to be dried on low heat, don’t put them in with microfiber. The static nature of microfiber will attract every bit of lint from other garments. Wash and dry microfiber separately.
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks xfire2005 and all other who contributed to this thread.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, be nice about this thread people. Microfiber has special needs as many have already demonstrated. Here's my suggested wash technique (I've tried all sorts of Microfiber
cleaners from Sonus, Microrestore, etc, but this technique works best for me):

-GAIN detergent
-some simple green concentrate
-on the 2nd rinse cycle, add some distilled vinegar, as this acts as a "softener" for microfiber products