Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

PermaPlate, has anyone tried it.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PermaPlate, has anyone tried it.

PermaPlate or Paintguard. Lifetime Paint Protection. My girlfriend has it on her SUV and loves it. I just don't get it.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: PermaPlate, has anyone tried it.

Lifetime Paint Protection, huh? Let me ask you this:

If you take a vehicle coated with this through a car wash will it prevent said vehicle from getting swirls and scratches in the paint?

If you let bird droppings sit on the car for a week, in the blazing sun, will it not etch the paint?

In order for a product to do either or both of the above it would need to be stronger than the paint itself. I don't know of a single product on the market today that can be poured out of a bottle, wiped onto the paint and then wiped off that is stronger than the paint itself.

When someone can show me a product that will do both of those things, without repeated applications or polishing of the paint, then I'll believe it. Until then, it's just another paint sealant with a high price.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:08 PM

Mike,
What's the difference between paint sealant and wax? Or is paint sealant just another word for car wax? Can paint sealant be applied after using clay on the car?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint sealant is the term generally used to describe a 100% synthetic product that serves the same purpose as a wax - to protect the finish and preserve the high gloss achieved through proper prep (claybar, paint cleaning, polishing). Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax is a sealant, so is Zaino, etc.

Yes, you can use a sealant after claying. In fact, you can apply a carnauba blend over a sealant to alter or enhance (depending on your point of view) the appearance.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:30 PM

Thanks Mike, got a bottle of PermaPlate for xmas and forgot all about it until I saw this thread. Have never clayed a car before but from all the readings I've done in this forum I am planning to clay my xfire soon. Thanks for the clarification regarding wax vs sealant.