Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Turtle wax "ICE"

Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle wax "ICE"

I had a go at my 04 base model with excellent results with this stuff. I'll admit I didnt have high aspirations but the ability to use it in direct sunlight on a hot florida day sold me. I'm no professional but I think the results were fantastic. I gave both cars a first pass and was amazed! FWIW the other car has 14 year old factory paint and now it looks new! The crossfire ended up so shiny it looks chrome .
DSC00307.jpg?t=1229220003
DSC00297.jpg?t=1229220268

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Default Re: Turtle wax "ICE"

Best paste polish I have used....no whiting on black plastic...long life. Now it's time for the mequiars response......

Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, here it is.

I used it too for ~ 6 months. Ice boils off. It is a "polish" and not a wax. Meguiars newest products are incredible in their lasting power. If you have a roadster, ice is especially useful on the black tape strip on the back deck and for all cars it makes the cowl (the plastic bit under the windshield wipers) come back to life like no other.

But it just doesn't last, sadly, and really can't compete with NXT 2.0.

Oh, and NXT 2.0 is easier to use too. Easier on. And easier off. Just make sure to follow the directions and wait for an hour before buffing it off. I do the whole vehicle, wait an hour, and remove the haze in the same order I applied it!

JMHO

Last edited by maxcichon; 12-14-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Max, Ice will not last long used by itself it is a polish , seal it with a wax.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We did a little test at work comparing three different waxes - TW Ice, Mothers FX, and Meguiar's NXT 2.0 We used our old '92 Camaro as the test bed partly because the hood is easily split into 4 sections (the 4th section is a control area) and partly because this is the only one of our cars I drive in the rain.

The body lines in the hood were used as natural split points for the different products. On the far left we did TW Ice, next to it was Mother's, then NXT 2.0 and finally a bare section. The entire hood was first cleaned of all previous wax by using a clay bar and Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner to ensure an equal base for each product. All three were easy to apply and remove, and the shine was pretty equal across the board.

A week after applying the products I washed the car. The first shot shows water beading equally across the hood. Many of you may find this interesting because, as stated, the far right side has no wax on it at all. No polish, no sealant, nothing. Just the paint cleaner that wax worked in and removed. Surprised? I'm not. I tell people all the time that beading does not necessarily equal protection. Here's proof.

The second picture shows the beading characteristics after washing with Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner (biodegradable, won't strip wax). I gave a final rinse with the nozzle off the hose so as to sheet the water away. I always do this as it makes drying much easier, especially on a well waxed finish because you reduce the amount of water that needs to be dried by a huge percentage (obviously I have no way of measuring the exact amount). The less water you need to dry from the surface, the less you need to touch the surface. The less you touch, the lower the risk of introducing new swirls.

Looking at the far right side you see the water laying on the paint in a sheet - there is no beading. This is to be expected since anything left behind from the application of the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is now gone. It is, after all, a water soluble paint cleaner.

Looking at the far left side we see much the same condition. The water no longer beads, it just sits there in a sheet. This is the TW Ice side. One week after application. One wash with a gentle car wash soap.

The two panels in the middle have very effectively repelled the water and appear to be doing their job.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pre_wash.JPG (81.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg
post_wash.JPG (45.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM

I'll give the NXT2.0 a shot on the next go around. Is it recommended to use a "polish" along with this wax as well or is it best used as a standalone?
Thanks for the replies.
Also any recommendations for interior cleaners, specifically the dash material?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:08 PM

We class NXT 2.0 as a polish/wax, meaning it has polishing oils in it not that it has any cleaning defect removal ability. Pick up the liquid version and apply it very, very thin. Let it dry a good long time before removal. I find it's easier to remove if you let it dry longer than you think you should rather than shorter. Those polishing oils need some time to set up, especially if it's cool or humid. I like to apply it and then set about cleaning the rest of the car - tires, engine bay, interior, etc. I'll clean up the garage after that and maybe have lunch. While an hour dry time is usually more than sufficient, you can let it go for a few hours and it still wipes off with no effort. I freely admit that the original version of NXT didn't do a whole lot for me and I never used it. But this new 2.0 is pretty awesome stuff.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:33 AM

Is it better/easier to use the liquid NXT than the paste? I picked up the paste but haven't tried it yet.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by tpoag
Is it better/easier to use the liquid NXT than the paste? I picked up the paste but haven't tried it yet.
I've used both, and the only difference to me is ease of application. Results are the same. It is easier to control how much you use (at little as possible) with paste. Just make sure the coverage is 100%. Just thin.

I bought a Porter Cable 7424 and only use liquid now, for obvious reasons!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I've used both, and the only difference to me is ease of application. Results are the same. It is easier to control how much you use (at little as possible) with paste. Just make sure the coverage is 100%. Just thin.

I bought a Porter Cable 7424 and only use liquid now, for obvious reasons!
There is no difference between the liquid and paste versions, it just comes down to preference. Interestingly, I find it easier to apply a very thin layer when using the liquid, even with hand application. Again, personal preference.

I also use a D/A to apply wax 99% of the time though I primarily use liquid waxes/sealants. maxcichon is spot on about applying it thin though. At SEMA we prepped 39 cars using a single bottle of NXT liquid with a D/A. Now that is THIN!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM

I use NXT , works great on black and like Mike said I let it sit for a long time and remove it, I then follow up with a quick detailer comes out looking sharp. As far as detailer I like Adam's the best, sorry Mike..

Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Forum Regular

Very interesting reading.

Since we have a black car, I'm most interested in if any polish/wax dries white. Any little flaw in the front bumper/hood will show like sore thumb if the stuff dries with a white residue. Second, can it easily go over black plastic/rubber parts without leaving that nasty gray color over time.

I've been using only Carnuba waxes because I know that they meet both of the above requriements. Does NXT 2.0 do it also? If I remember NXT, the original left the nasty white residue in even minor defects over time.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Veloce, Ive been using Collinite Insulator wax with exceptional results on my boat for years and seems to hold up well in the salt water environment. I have since starting rubbing it on the CF. No dust, No powdery residue on moldings and such. Though I haven't used any of the Meguiar's products.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Both Zaino products Z-2 and AO-1 leave no residue at all. Used both on my black PT's and was happy with the results.
Pat

Old 12-23-2008, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Veloce
Very interesting reading.

Since we have a black car, I'm most interested in if any polish/wax dries white. Any little flaw in the front bumper/hood will show like sore thumb if the stuff dries with a white residue. Second, can it easily go over black plastic/rubber parts without leaving that nasty gray color over time.

I've been using only Carnuba waxes because I know that they meet both of the above requriements. Does NXT 2.0 do it also? If I remember NXT, the original left the nasty white residue in even minor defects over time.
NXT 2.0 isn't terrible about it but there is some. Try Meguiar's M26 High Tech Yellow Wax if you want something that dries clear. This is a premium carnauba blend that I've personally put up against a $2500.00 Zymol Estate Wax. Couldn't tell 'em apart and the M26 is only $12.50

Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks.
That's the wax I've been using.

Say, did you hear that Meguiars was bought out by 3M?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks.
That's the wax I've been using.

Hmmmmm......yeah........seems I did hear that someplace.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Hmmmmm......yeah........seems I did hear that someplace.
LOL...hmmm...I wonder WHERE, you'd EVER hear that at Mike...

Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Forum Regular

Mike,
Reread your profile....Duh, now I feel stupid, embarrassed and humbled. OTH, I've considered the kings of the detail products to be Meguiar's and 3M. The melding of the two can only be a winner for us consumers and I hope it is the same for the people in the organization.

Last edited by Veloce; 12-24-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 AM

Mike,

as an avid user of Meguiars products, the only thing I can think of for an improvement is a better pump sprayer on the Ultimate Quik detailer bottle. 2 of the 4 I've bought leak all over my hands when I'm sraying.

The stuff inside is top-shelf though!

Quick Reply: Turtle wax "ICE"