Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Before I dive into detailing...

Old 09-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I dive into detailing...

...a last-minute check...Bascially, what (I think) I want to do is wash the car (Gold Class - maybe), dry it (right?), clay bar (Mother's system), polish it with Meg's swirl remover 2.0 (White Lake Country pad on PC 7424XP), wax it with Meg's Hi-Teck Yellow wax (Lake Country Blue pad)...the rest of the detialing of wheels, glass, initerior, etc. I think I have down...

One question,though - do I want to wash it instead with Dawn or like soap to remove the wax before I clay bar and polish?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Before I dive into detailing....

Originally Posted by midlife chrysler
...a last-minute check...Bascially, what (I think) I want to do is wash the car (Gold Class - maybe), dry it (right?), clay bar (Mother's system), polish it with Meg's swirl remover 2.0 (White Lake Country pad on PC 7424XP), wax it with Meg's Hi-Teck Yellow wax (Lake Country Blue pad)...the rest of the detialing of wheels, glass, initerior, etc. I think I have down...

One question,though - do I want to wash it instead with Dawn or like soap to remove the wax before I clay bar and polish?
No, that actually causes more harm. The dawn takes vital oils that may still be left as well as puts a haze on the clearcoat. I would use the Gold Class and go from there. If possible, put a second coat of wax on about 8 hours after the first. I like Mequires NXT 2.0 and I put it on, leave it on overnight so ALL beneficial ingrediants from the wax totally get to adhere to the paint so you don't rub some of it away during the "normal" waxing routine.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
No, that actually causes more harm. The dawn takes vital oils that may still be left as well as puts a haze on the clearcoat. I would use the Gold Class and go from there. If possible, put a second coat of wax on about 8 hours after the first. I like Mequires NXT 2.0 and I put it on, leave it on overnight so ALL beneficial ingrediants from the wax totally get to adhere to the paint so you don't rub some of it away during the "normal" waxing routine.
So you leave the wax on over night ? Ok help me here Steve.....do you leave the first coat of wax on over night....or buff that out and leave the second coat on over night ?

Geez, I thought I had all of this down already and Steve throws in another hitch !!!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

If you are only putting one coat on, I would leave it on overnight if you can work it in. No need to do that twice. NXT will come off easy even after leaving it in overnight.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Best bet would be if applying 2 coats. Apply a thin layer on the whole car wait an hour and buff it out. Let it sit overnight so all the polymers set in then apply the second layer and buff it out.

Unless the NXT is going to be your top coat go with what Steve said. I like to wait after buffing out NXT before applying carnauba wax.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Before I dive into detailing...

I did use a Dawn wash twice during the process. Saw no changes at all, but the car was already quite clean.