Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Cleaned the Engine Today

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cleaned the Engine Today

Bob talk about wierd stuff happening, I was just back in the canteen talking with one of the operators and mentioned the cd-2 detailer and he says oh yea I use it all the time on my bike (motorcycle) I ask him where he got it he said at autozone here in Erwin ,and then it hit me I had not checked there ,so I call the guys at autozone and he says yes we carry it all the time and he had stock ,so at lunch i'm going to go get some ,only 1.5 miles from the plant go figure . I live 40 miles away it never occured to me to check here .But looks like I finally hooked up......

Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet Howward, I look forward to hearing your impressions of it.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I bought 2 cans of the stuff today. Autozone had about 7, guess that's the advantage of living in a town where people have never even heard of cleaning a car, much less the engine compartment. I definitely have never worried about whether or not a store will have any cleaning supplies in stock.

But anyways, bought a couple of cans and cleaned up the engine. Still a few areas that need touching up that I couldn't reach, but clean for the most part. And I must say, I love this cd-2 stuff. Definitely a permanant part of my detailing arsenal.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Cleaned the Engine Today

OK .... I just want to be sure I do it the right way! I do have the CD2 detailer, and I want to clean the engine. I plan on using Simple Green to clean the engine, and after rinsing and drying it, applying the CD2! Is the Alternator and the Battery the only things in the bay that need covering? My SRT6 has about 17K on the clock, and I've owned it since February. My guess is, that it's never had the engine cleaned, but it's really not that dirty. The aluminum parts of the engine (supercharger, "SRT" arms, and the areas below them on the engine) appear to need brightening back to original brilliance. Will the Simple Green accomplish this, or do they need additional treatment and scrubing? Any help for a newbie is appreciated.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
OK .... I just want to be sure I do it the right way! I do have the CD2 detailer, and I want to clean the engine. I plan on using Simple Green to clean the engine, and after rinsing and drying it, applying the CD2! Is the Alternator and the Battery the only things in the bay that need covering? My SRT6 has about 17K on the clock, and I've owned it since February. My guess is, that it's never had the engine cleaned, but it's really not that dirty. The aluminum parts of the engine (supercharger, "SRT" arms, and the areas below them on the engine) appear to need brightening back to original brilliance. Will the Simple Green accomplish this, or do they need additional treatment and scrubing? Any help for a newbie is appreciated.
You don't really need to cover anything. Just be cautious when rinsing the engine bay, and do not spray direct blasts of water into your electrical components like the ECU housing etc.

If the engine bay is not very dirty i.e. lots of oil/grease, then spray on Simple Green. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Spray off with a hose (careful around electrical), let dry, spray everything liberally with CD-2 let dry for about an hour, go for a ride to get the engine bay to operating temperatures(this will set the CD-2). Done!

For the absolute best results, be sure the engine bay is dry before using the CD-2.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

used CD2 for the first time this weekend. Since I always wipe everything down everytime I washthe car I didn't need to wash the engine bay. WOW! I was very impressed. The problem with CD2 is its hard to find, I had to order mine from Corvette Central. The CD2 really takes things to the next level!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Pat,
I am surprised you did not try to wax your engine. I know how you detail your car.

Jim

Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

That's what it does, looks like its waxed!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
That's what it does, looks like its waxed!
And, it is silicone based, so it dries hard unlike most detailers that leave an oily residue. This stuff actually repels dirt.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM

you guys need to be careful with simple green, its corrosive to aluminium

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Infinite
you guys need to be careful with simple green, its corrosive to aluminium
If used at full concentrate and left on for a good period of time. I usually dilute mine with water at a minimum of 10:1 if not 15:1.