Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Cleaned the Engine Today

Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cleaned the Engine Today

Snowing like crazy so I cleaned the engine in the 6 and detailed the rubber ,,was suppose to finish the mat in the rear but needed a change of scenery so I moved to the front of the car. thought I would share a couple pics.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Cleaned the Engine Today

Looks great Howard. Did you use CD-2 or something else?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Looks great Howard. Did you use CD-2 or something else?
Used Black Magic no one here has the cd-2 I went to all the parts houses and Wal-Mart also didn't want to waste the day so I got the BM Works pretty well ,,but Next time it will be the cd-2 ,,Guy at autozone said it was the best(cd-2) but they where out...

Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A real nice effort! I'm working on that phase next!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 PM

As far as I know, Autozone is the only B&M that carries it. When I found it in stock at my Autozone, I got 4 cans of it. Next time I am there, I will maybe try to get a case. Never know when it might be hard to find again. LOL

Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I think that if you painted the SRT6 on the valve covers the same black as your Needswings CAIs, it would look really sharp.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by hcarter
Used Black Magic no one here has the cd-2 I went to all the parts houses and Wal-Mart also didn't want to waste the day so I got the BM Works pretty well ,,but Next time it will be the cd-2 ,,Guy at autozone said it was the best(cd-2) but they where out...
what exactly is cd-2 ?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by xodus52
what exactly is cd-2 ?
CD-2 is an engine detailing spray. You spray everything in the engine bay, and let it dry. It is silicone based, so it dries without an oily residue like most detail sprays. It actually repels dust.

Here is a pic of my engine bay using CD-2:

Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM

very cool. do you clean beforehand to prep for the spray? and if so, what do you use?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Forum Regular

very cool. do you clean beforehand to prep for the spray? and if so, what do you use?
CD2 is the last step in the process. There are several choices of cleaner depending on whether your engine bay is dusty or greasy. With all due respect to the detailers on the board, here's a good link.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jesus_Christler
CD2 is the last step in the process. There are several choices of cleaner depending on whether your engine bay is dusty or greasy. With all due respect to the detailers on the board, here's a good link.
Good post. I wouldn't mind seeing what the detailers (professional or not) have to say about this do it yourself approach

BTW - I love how it turned out bmorgan

Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jesus_Christler
much appreciated good sir

Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Mine never gets oily, just dirty.... So, I just spray everything down with simple green. Wait 5 minutes and rinse. Let engine area dry. Then spray with CD-2 and let dry. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Mine never gets oily, just dirty.... So, I just spray everything down with simple green. Wait 5 minutes and rinse. Let engine area dry. Then spray with CD-2 and let dry. Doesn't get any easier than that.
Yup...I use a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water in a large spray bottle and mist over the entire engine bay.......
let it soak on a cool engine for 15 minutes and spray rinse with the garden hose.
Then start er up and take a quick run down the interstate and back and it's completely dry with no water spots anywhere.

I'm gonna need to check out this CD-2 product though.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've looked all over for CD2 and can't seem to find it. Amazon has it "out of stock" for the past two months and none of the auto places around here carry it. I was able to order a few cans from Corvette Central.com They show it in stock. If you are lucky enough to find it in a store grab some, its very hard to find. Wonder if Turtle Wax stopped making it because I said all those bad things about them?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by patpur
I've looked all over for CD2 and can't seem to find it. Amazon has it "out of stock" for the past two months and none of the auto places around here carry it. I was able to order a few cans from Corvette Central.com They show it in stock. If you are lucky enough to find it in a store grab some, its very hard to find. Wonder if Turtle Wax stopped making it because I said all those bad things about them?
same here. i know oreilly's has them if you're on the east coast or midwest. looks like they're still in the merger process with kragen out here and haven't gotten all the new product in yet. how much are the cans from the corvette store and are there any other alternatives?
I've heard such good things about this product, its strange they would have such a scarcity for so long.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM

My Autozone keeps it in stock. Well, at least they have lately. I may pick up a case the next time I go just in case it becomes scarce again.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a confirmation on my order so I know Corvette Central .com does have it in stock. I checked our PEP Boys and our local parts store and neither had it so I figured it would be easier locating some on line. Just don't feel like driving all over creation to find it.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Just got a confirmation on my order so I know Corvette Central .com does have it in stock. I checked our PEP Boys and our local parts store and neither had it so I figured it would be easier locating some on line. Just don't feel like driving all over creation to find it.
Do you have a part number from Corvette Central

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzer
Do you have a part number from Corvette Central
101885 ..........

Quick Reply: Cleaned the Engine Today