Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Keyed windshield...ideas?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Keyed windshield...ideas?

How easy or difficult any scratch is to remove from any surface has to do with how deep the scratch is and how hard the surface is. Glass is pretty darn hard, and if you can feel those scratches with your fingernail then they're pretty deep. They can be a real bugger to remove, if not darn near impossible.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
How easy or difficult any scratch is to remove from any surface has to do with how deep the scratch is and how hard the surface is. Glass is pretty darn hard, and if you can feel those scratches with your fingernail then they're pretty deep. They can be a real bugger to remove, if not darn near impossible.
Mike is correct......again.

I worked in the glass field years back. If the scratch is deep enough that your fingernail "hangs" up on it, it's probably too deep to polish, for multiple reasons.

We used a high-speed polisher and Cerium Oxide (used with water) to polish scratches......it still took a very long time to do it correctly. Don't try to go too fast or push too hard or you'll end up either breaking the window or causing dull spots. This is especially true with automotive windshields......remember, it's not a full plate of glass, it's safety glass. If you heat the window too much you'll "haze" the plastic laminate and you'll have worse problems than just the scratches. Another problem is thinning out the glass and surrounding area to the point that it looses it's structural rigidity. Go too thin and hitting a bug at high speed will break the glass in that area. One final thing to think about is distortion. When you start taking a lot of glass off there you'll more than likely have distorted view through that spot......... think circus mirrors (made by using thick and thin glass in front of a silver nitrate backing) The actual glass thickness is what's manipulated to cause the distorted view in them.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM

I just used 2 of the 6 pads...and used up my drill battery will try another pad on mt second battery once it is fully charged.....looks like all but 3 or 4 of the scratches are gone will post pics of it finished later today

Last edited by chevyboyac; 02-19-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:33 PM

And done I think if i had 4 more pads I could get the last tiny scratches out but those are so faint they barely show up in the pic. Took 6 pads and 5 cordless drill batteries worth of time. Time well spent I think. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Keyed windshield...ideas?

Originally Posted by chevyboyac
And done I think if i had 4 more pads I could get the last tiny scratches out but those are so faint they barely show up in the pic. Took 6 pads and 5 cordless drill batteries worth of time. Time well spent I think. Thanks for the info!
So, what did you end up using (pads??)? Maybe you said and I missed it? Looks like quite an improvement. Can't see anything in the pic!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Yea pads. from harbor freight 14.99 AND it aint no 5 min repair lmao

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Nice job, I'm glad that worked for you.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Keyed windshield...ideas?

WEEKEND

Well done Harbor Freight, TAAAA DAAAA

Now that you have done it youll be touching up all sorts of blemishes. More fun than Aids free hookers sponsoring Nickle Nite.

WEEKENDWEEKEND

WEEKENDWEEKEND

WOODY

Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Looks real nice!

You even managed to nearly remove the image of a guy with a camera.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 PM

That's horrible! I'm sorry to hear that, I swear some people have no consideration for other people's property. I remember walking up to my car a few days after I got it and seeing a huge scratch across the entire door. Could a crack repair kit fix it? I know https://crackeraser.com/ has DIY kits, not sure if it'll fix a keyed windshield, but it could be worth a shot.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by domisaur
That's horrible! I'm sorry to hear that, I swear some people have no consideration for other people's property. I remember walking up to my car a few days after I got it and seeing a huge scratch across the entire door. Could a crack repair kit fix it? I know https://crackeraser.com/ has DIY kits, not sure if it'll fix a keyed windshield, but it could be worth a shot.

I understand that you're new to the forum and it's good that you want to get involved in discussions but you need to look in the upper left for the date of the post! You have replied to a post from 2010!!!! While your comment is right on, these members have probably moved on from this discussion. Enjoy the forum, look forward to your next post.