Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Pizza's Newb ClayBar Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts
Default Pizza's Newb ClayBar Thread

Ok, the last time I waxed a car, we didn't have the term "Detail" in use as a verb, and no one had heard of a "Clay Bar" other than the kind the rototiller would hit in the garden (oh, wait - no one knows what a garden is anymore, either - should I go into that?) Anyway, it was 1979 and my Yellow CJ5 sure looked nice when I got done with it.

Then came marriage, kids, divorce (the first one) and life in general.

So, I bought the Roadster in July of 2009. By the fall, it was time to think about detailing it... but *something* or *someone* else came into my life and .... well, divorce (the second one) came here recently. So...... for various reasons, this weekend was my first detail job on the Roadster.

I started off with Mequiar's Gold Car Shampoo - which is all I use anyway. I use the "Two bucket - two mitt" method. But this time, I also went over all the surfaces down low (in the path of the debris the tires kick up) using extra effort and care to clean these areas very well in preparation for a wax job. In some places, I used Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Remover. Not all that impressed with this stuff. It sure leaves behind a GREASY surface that is somewhat a challenge to clean up - but it DID remove some tar-oil crap from the rear bumper.

Then, I grabbed my Mequiar's ClayBar kit, wondering just WHAT I was about to do with IT.

THE CLAY BAR?

Ok, this whole idea of dragging something called "clay" in the form of a "bar" across my car's finish bugged me right from the start. Yea, I watched all the videos, read all the stuff I could and talked to many of you - but it still just didn't sound right to me.

But, so many of you just swear by it... so... after watching Mequiar's instructional video (which really only says what the box says - but who cares? I wanted to SEE someone use this thing) I tried this myself.

I was, of course, PARANOID about lubrication - so I ended up using 90% of the detail spray in the process of going over my car! I also was worried about contamination, I ended up using BOTH bars in the process as well.

I had some stains (best term I can come up with) in the finish - probably from spraying Mequiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer on the car after every wash. (I think the stains were residue from the Detail Spray. What else could they be? The car sits in the garage all the time!) These stains, blemishes, clouds or whatever were not noticeable unless you got right up to the car - but they had to go! The Clay Bar did remove about half of them, but I started to worry I was expecting too much from the Clay Bar and MAYBE coming close to working the bar too hard on the finish... so I continued to go over the car ignoring the stains. The ClayBar DID smooth the finish as advertised. My fingers would squeak as they were run over the finish until I got to a ClayBarred area - then silence!

WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE STAINS?

After talking to Mike-in-Orange and reading their website, I bought some Mequiar's Ultimate Compound. I tried applying it with a microfiber applicator from WalMart. What did I get for my dollars and effort?

I'll tell you - I got a clean finish with almost NO effort! What ever the stains were, (and I think I know as I wrote above) the Ultimate Compound was made to remove them! The car looked fine to me after going over it from end to end!

TIME FOR WAX

I skipped the polish step - right or wrong - and moved on to wax. Bases on posts in this forum, I ended up with Mequiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0. (I used the applicator that came with the wax.)

CONCLUSION?

I just finished the first coat, that is, just wiped it off. AGAIN, I cannot believe the finish. I remember dragging my finger over the finish of a Black Coupe at the 09 Fall Dragon and feeling how smooth the owner had made it - she told me of "the Clay Bar". I'd never heard the term before.

Well, my car feels as good as I remember her's feeling! I am now a firm believer in the ClayBar, no matter how many people look at me funny when I tell them about it. IF I can find a model to sit on the car for a photo shoot, she'll probably just slide right off before I get my camera ready!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Re: Pizza's Newb ClayBar Thread

LOOK OUT.....I see a flock of geese flying overhead and they look like there about to unload......!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bird_crap_covered_car.jpg (46.4 KB, 397 views)
Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Detail that!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I never detailed or clay barred (?) before until I got the Crossfires.
Since then I have bought a $300+ buffer/polisher and swear by the clay bar.
Have introduce a few friends to the clay bar and they were amazed at the difference it made.
If you don't have one, you NEED to get one.
Makes a BIG difference!

Just ask Mike!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

Looks like the crapiest car I've ever seen , and it looks like you'll need an air chiesel to remove the top layer then a FEW clay bars, bet he wished he had given that car a GOOD WAXING, then maybe all of it would of slid off, but hay atleast they did not have to pay to park there. Of course some people still just get the crap parking spots no matter where they park, and some people just get the $hit all the time.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That right there is wrong on so many levels

Old 09-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Well, after clay bar, Ultimate Compound and two coats of NXT 2.0 wax - I can honestly say the car looks as good as the day I brought it home. The dealer had detailed it and done SUCH a good job that they felt comfortable tacking $300 on for "dealer prep" (dealer prep of a USED vehicle???)

Now, they also steam cleaned under the hood - but we wont be bathing the electronics under the hood with steam, that is for sure.

Anyway, I now understand the use of, and belief in, the Clay Bar.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, after clay bar, Ultimate Compound and two coats of NXT 2.0 wax - I can honestly say the car looks as good as the day I brought it home. The dealer had detailed it and done SUCH a good job that they felt comfortable tacking $300 on for "dealer prep" (dealer prep of a USED vehicle???)

Now, they also steam cleaned under the hood - but we wont be bathing the electronics under the hood with steam, that is for sure.

Anyway, I now understand the use of, and belief in, the Clay Bar.
I was worried about this as well, but i took out my battery and covered the two fuse boxes with plastic bags and used the Green wheel/engine cleaner from my local car wash. Only cost me $3.00. Once over with the engine cleaner, then once over with the rinse. Then i just wiped everything down with a clean rag to get the last bit of grime up and the engine bay looked so much better afterwards. Only complaint was Aluminum/magnesium manifolds and supercharger had some slight oxidation(Looks blochy and dull) that didn't go away with the wash.

AFter i was done i put the battery back in an pulled off the bags over the fuse boxes and drove away with no issues. we wont say what i did to make the engine bay so dirty to deserve the power wash...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to laugh when my daily driver's engine compartment is cleaner than yours that LIVES in the garage

Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

I dumped on a friend who purchased a Peugeot but not like this.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-27-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I am going to laugh when my daily driver's engine compartment is cleaner than yours that LIVES in the garage
Not gonna happen John - I didn't say it was IN NEED of steam cleaning!

I wipe the entire compartment down quite often (ok, way too damn often).

Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, you almost sound like an ad for our products. Almost........

I started off with Mequiar's Gold Car Shampoo -

Then, I grabbed my Mequiar's ClayBar kit

after watching Mequiar's instructional video

spraying Mequiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer on the car

I bought some Mequiar's Ultimate Compound.

Mequiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0.
It's Meguiar's dammit, with a G!!!!

Glad it all worked out so well for you, and thanks for the props.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
You know, you almost sound like an ad for our products. Almost........

It's Meguiar's dammit, with a G!!!!

Glad it all worked out so well for you, and thanks for the props.
Well Mike,I too used all of the above this past weekend. Only diff was mine was that "MeGuiar's" stuff. And the only reason I used this name brand? Because a fellow member on this board works for that outfit.

At review time tell your boss to give you a BIG raise because you're sell'n so much product on this board!

BTW my Blaze Red Crossfire is a Blaze'n!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Not to jump your thread, but...

I stayed up late last night researching a new wax. I had been using Meguiar's cleaner wax, but wanted something to make the most out of a light colored car (06 ssb). After reading through some of the threads, and some allegedly impartial internet reviews, I settled on the NXT 2.0 paste wax. I had read that polymers will give a brighter shine, supposedly better for lighter colors.

I still don't have the depth that the darker colors do ( acrispy1, mrphotoman, etc...) but I have to say I was happy with the results. And there really wasn't any residue left on nearby trim work. I still may get a sample of some super high end $200 wax just to try, but I guess realistically my next step would be to buy a DA and try machine polishing.

Anyway, thanks for all the great info.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using Meguiar's since about May of this year, clay bar - detailer - and cleaner wax and really couldn't be happier with the results and the price also. I find that they are easy to use for me. Also a forum member working for the company ( Mike-in-Orange ) was a factor in trying that product.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the same religious experience with claybarring. My roadster has always been covered and garaged, and is baby smooth. The other two were bought used and you could feel the imperfections and roughness. I claybarred the SRT6 two summers ago and it still is smooth and shines. It's a great product but a lot of work. Perfect for a warm summer afternoon, a couple cold craft beers, and a fine cigar.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Forum Regular

Like most here, I started swearing by it after using it on the xfire.

My dad was cleaning his airplane one day and called up to ask what to get some stubborn stuff off with. I told him to go get a claybar and try it out. He said it worked great, and did his entire airplane with it before waxing it. So there you go mike, it works on airplanes as well!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Can you get a beer at this clay bar ????? LOL !!!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Check me off as another firm believer in the 'bar'.

Once you've given the car a good all-over clay-barring, you should be good to go for a long, long time. A slippery finish right down to the clear coat. Sweet!

But between washings and waxings (actually, I use polish) I'll usually just hit the horizontal surfaces to maintain that slippery shine. In just a few minutes I'll hit the hood, the 'hips' and the trunk of my roadster.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

Much like others, I'm a believer in the clay bar treatment on a car's finish. But unlike pizzaguy's process (which I thought was really good), I still follow essentially a 3-step process using Meguiar's Professional series of car care products. If I'm really serious about prepping the car (like for a car show), I'll do the following:

Step 1: I wash & thoroughly dry the car.
Step 2: I wipe down the entire car with Prep-Sol. Removes all road grime, bugs, and old polish/wax.
Step 3: I use the clay bar.
Step 4: I wipe down the car again using Prep-Sol.
Step 5: I use Meguiar's Professional 'Mirror Glaze' Fine Cut Cleaner #2 (very mild abrasive/compound)
Step 6: Wipe car finish down with Prep-Sol again.
Step 7: Apply polish using Meguiar's Professional 'Mirro Glaze' Machine Glaze #3 (w/buffer) or 'Mirror Glaze' Show Car Glaze #7 (by hand; doesn't dry white)
Step 8: Apply Meguiar's Professional 'Mirror Glaze' High Tech Yellow Wax #26 (carnauba) or 'Mirror Glaze' Polymer Sealant #20

Whole process consumes an entire weekend.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 01-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.