Detail Shop The place to talk about the daily care of your Crossfire and share the products you use to care for your Crossfire

Leather Care Q & A

Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Care Q & A

Just thought I'd pass along my recent experience on this for what it's worth. Last night I finally tried out my bottle of Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. I had the bottle for a year and had been putting it off because of warnings on the label "test for colorfastness" and because I'd heard that using it can be a bit tricky. I've had my 2005 coupe for two years now and had only used wipes up to this point.
I did test a small area of the seat and found it to be ok and continued on. I used one microfibre towel to apply the liquid (it's pretty runny) and another to do the final wipe. I worked in sections of the seat from seam to seam and made sure to wipe previous areas a second time when I did the section next to them.
I'm happy to report that the stuff is amazing! It went on easy enough and you could sure see the dirt coming off on the towel, and then it wiped off beautifully with the second towel. The resulting surface looks and feels totally rejuvenated, no greasy of glossy residue, no white powder in the seams - the seats look like new (or better).
That's it for the answers - now for the warnings and questions. Do not use it on the doors!! I thought the middle panel of our doors was leather and I'm not sure if it is or it isn't, but I nearly ruined it! I started wiping the cleaner on and immediately the color began to change. I quickly grabbed an Armor-all wipe and, with great scrubbing, I seem to have saved it. I've used leather wipes there in the past with no problems and also on the steering wheel, so I'm not sure what's up. I was too chicken after that to try the wheel.
So, my questions are: Are there any other areas of the interior that we know are leather? Does anyone have experience with a better applicator? - the MF towel was great for wiping off but not the best for applying. Also, I dribbled a bit on the carpet and it seems to be leaving a dark spot - any suggestions?
To sum up - the product is excellent, easy to use and the results are amazing!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Leather Care Q & A

My son got a tube type deal of Meguiars Leather wipes. Very impressed. 1 wipe does my entire Cobra interior, including the dash. The only thing that could make it better Mike From Orange is some leather smell added to it. I usually use the Zaino leather products but the Meguiars gets a thumbs up. And yes stole them from my son!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I've been using the Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner products (2 separate products) for years. Absolutely does a fantastic job. I had a 1986 Merkur XR4Ti with gray leather interior that I kept for nearly 20 years. Used Lexol on it the entire time I owned it. Leather upholstery always looked good as new.

For quick upholstery treatment (e.g., car shows), I use Meguiar's One Step Leather Care Cleaner & Conditioner. This one is in the deep red bottle, not the Gold Class product. Never had any issues with the product anywhere I used it.

For an applicator, I use a terry cloth or microfiber round applicator (like for waxing). Then I wipe off the product with either a terry cloth or microfiber towel.

I also treat my vehicles with leather treatment 3x per year (about every 4 months).

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-20-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by midlife chrysler
Also, I dribbled a bit on the carpet and it seems to be leaving a dark spot - any suggestions?
The best carpet cleaner I've ever found was Blue Magic Carpet Stain & Spot Lifter. Find it in the car care aisles at just about any discount auto parts store. We use this product everywhere (vehicles & house).

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
My son got a tube type deal of Meguiars Leather wipes. Very impressed. 1 wipe does my entire Cobra interior, including the dash. The only thing that could make it better Mike From Orange is some leather smell added to it. I usually use the Zaino leather products but the Meguiars gets a thumbs up. And yes stole them from my son!
So how 'bout some more pictures of that Cobra?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner products (2 separate products) for years.
+1 Considered by many as THE Leather Product. Another user forum mentioned it years ago and I have been using it on all my cars including the Crossfire for years. Highly recommended.

http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_conditioner.aspx

Last edited by user 8202; 09-21-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midlife chrysler
I quickly grabbed an Armor-all wipe and, with great scrubbing, I seem to have saved it.
I too enjoy the meguire's gold class, just did a round last week, and yes, I did loose a little color on the wheel when I did it. I have tried multiple products on the wheel, and nothing seems to work wonders.

Personally, I would stay away from the armor all, even the wipes, while they can make things appear to look better, they can rob natural oils from leather and accelerate its age. I use Meguire's all purpose cleaner, diluted to a few different levels for various jobs on the car. Can use it from everything to cleaning/degreasing engines to cleaning leather, as long as the dilution strength is followed, also works great on carpets without leaving that soapy residue so many of them do...

Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Once again time to treat the leather seats in the XFire before really cold weather gets here. Used the Lexol products (Cleaner & Conditioner) on both seats. Still look good as new.

Later,

Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM

Are the seats really all leather or is it just the front seating surfaces? I know part of the cover is cloth.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtp13
Are the seats really all leather or is it just the front seating surfaces? I know part of the cover is cloth.
The Crossfire has some cloth covering on the backside where the hard plastic stops. Goes all the way to the backside of the headrest area. And the seat side against the console on both seats is a cloth covering.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The Crossfire has some cloth covering on the backside where the hard plastic stops. Goes all the way to the backside of the headrest area. And the seat side against the console on both seats is a cloth covering.
The cloth is easy to recognize. But sometimes leather seats are really just leather on the seating surfaces and the sides are vinyl. So I was wondering if that is the case on these. It appears very consistent between seating surfaces and the sides

Old 05-29-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtp13
The cloth is easy to recognize. But sometimes leather seats are really just leather on the seating surfaces and the sides are vinyl. So I was wondering if that is the case on these. It appears very consistent between seating surfaces and the sides
I think all the leather surfaces are of equal quality & grade. At least, with similar care, all these surfaces seem to stay in the same condition.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I didn't know about Lexol I ended up using Mothers Leather Tech Foaming Wash & Moisture Infusion Gel Cream (comes as a set) applied with micro fiber towels & MF pad. I have been happy with the product. I have used it on the steering wheel with no adverse results. There is enough to do both seats three times.