CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/)
-   -   Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/engine-exhaust-transmission-differential/20190-excessive-tappet-noise-cold-start-up.html)

Ecosse_Cross 12-09-2007 02:29 PM

Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

My 2005 Crossfire makes quite a lot of tappet noise on start-up from cold. The noise gradually goes away after about 5 mins (once warmed up) but is this noise normal on the 3.2 V6 engine? Its very noticeable even though my car only has only covered 34,000 miles and is regularly serviced (including oil change).

Any advice would be welcome.

DrMike 12-09-2007 03:19 PM

Re: Excessive tappet noise on cold start-up

Originally Posted by Ecosse_Cross
My 2005 Crossfire makes quite a lot of tappet noise on start-up from cold. The noise gradually goes away after about 5 mins (once warmed up) but is this noise normal on the 3.2 V6 engine? Its very noticeable even though my car only has only covered 34,000 miles and is regularly serviced (including oil change).

Moving to Hawaii might help...LOL.

Had similar problem, Oil change and driving it a little more helped.

Cheers.

Maxwell 12-09-2007 03:42 PM

It's all good in da hood... just pretend your driving a porsche. :D I still haven't figured it out myself nor have many MBZ mechanics. I've heard people say its related to the timing gear sprocket, it needs to get oiled before the noise goes away, then another theory where the silencing rubber coating on the sprocket has worn away. also if the oil sprayers to the sprocket gets plugged it will make the noise. Then there is the issue of tolerance in the cylinder bore, I know many late model chevy motors with piston slap issues until fully warmed up, none of which are harmful to the engines life. So I just live with it. it only last a couple seconds and then its gone. But I doubt it's related to the valve train.

Also there is a check valve on the driver's side compartment that make a loud ticking sound, completely normal.

HDDP 12-09-2007 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ecosse_Cross

Here's some advice... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON ! OR if you ask another question without using the SEARCH BUTTON we will all ignore your future posts !!! OR we will make serious fun of you, and you'll feel like a MORON... The internet is not NEW, you might be, but the system is not... When you join any forum and have a question, you can use the SEARCH BUTTON !!! Not to make fun of you, but you will probably NEVER have a question about this car that has not been answered before...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...earchid=305651
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...earchid=305657

old man 12-09-2007 05:17 PM

this is his first post go easy.

maxcichon 12-10-2007 08:05 AM

Perhaps a mug of hot chocolate would be in order, not aspresso? Go easy! ;)

InfernoRedXfire 12-10-2007 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Here's some advice... USE THE SEARCH BUTTON ! OR if you ask another question without using the SEARCH BUTTON we will all ignore your future posts !!! OR we will make serious fun of you, and you'll feel like a MORON... The internet is not NEW, you might be, but the system is not... When you join any forum and have a question, you can use the SEARCH BUTTON !!! Not to make fun of you, but you will probably NEVER have a question about this car that has not been answered before...

Gez, get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

jaded1958cars 12-10-2007 08:35 AM

I read your post and thought I should reply.
About 10 years ago I worked for a Chrysler dealership. One of the problems some motors with aluminum block encountered was a thing called piston slap.
This would occur at cold start up then quiet down once warm.
My understanding is that until the rings warmed and expanded, the piston was slapping within the cylinder.
This piston slap sounded more like a knock knock than the click click of a tappet.
A bent rod can increase the contact distance and cause tappet noise.
A motor which has been run low on oil and ran hot can develop noisy tappets among a list of other things.

I'm no mechanic...

Choppers07 12-10-2007 11:26 AM

Since it has only 34k is the 3/36 warranty still good? If so get it into the dealer soon, so you can verify the existance of the problem before the warranty expires. There are may possibilities, from chain tensioners, to valve train to piston slap, none of which should be occuring at 34k. If you bought it used, did you have the factory warranty transferred?

Maxwell 12-10-2007 11:56 AM

all the m112 engines make this noise, check around the mbz forums, it's normal though it is a little too fast to sound like piston slap.

talbot 12-10-2007 12:15 PM

HDDP IS A JERK OFF. I TREAT MY DOG BETTER THAN YOU TREAT PEOPLE GET A LIFE A-HOLE.

Display_Name 12-10-2007 12:27 PM

Not to make fun of you, but you will probably NEVER have a question about this car that has not been answered before...

The funniest part about this is that the links you supplied do not work.

Searchid's are not kept for very long by the BB system, so the links die after a short while.

One of the hardest things for users to know to search is what keywords will quickly land them on the prior posts. What do you you search for when you don't know exactly what it is called that you are searching for?

Ecosse_Cross 12-10-2007 01:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out some of the things you suggested. The engine is peachy when warmed up and I've no other complaints but the cold tapping seems out of place on an engine which has been well maintained, fairly low mileage and hasn't been abused or raced.

As for HDDP's 'advice', well, we all have a bad day I guess. Put it down to male PMS! (only kidding). This was the first time I'd posted a thread on your site, and I don't use forums normally (I find the telephone usually works better and is quicker!), but it's cool. I'll definietly be back however so thanks again for helping a fellow Xfire enthusiast from across the pond. :cool:

Cheers,

Ecosse_Cross

GatorLCA 12-10-2007 03:24 PM

nvmd, already brought up.

NeverEnough 12-10-2007 03:45 PM

You're an a******! How the hell did you get to become a moderator with an attitude like that. If that is the way you feel about newbies, then do the whole community a BIG favor and just don't say anything, just STFU! I mean wow, you might think it's funny, but that is absolutely no way to respond to someone's first post. As a moderator you should be fostering a welcoming environment for new folks, not going out of your way to be a troll. I know that are the all knowing GOD of the Crossfire, and believe that we should bow in reverence to your majesty, but seriously, GET OVER YOURSELF!

No Warning Shot 12-11-2007 09:08 AM

Mine gets loud once and a while when it's cold. I just give it a good thrashing and it goes away for a while.

Maxwell 12-11-2007 09:39 AM

you have to understand where HDDP is coming from, he works on Hollywood sets with many arrogant rich bast@rds everyday, and lazy Union slobs, sooner or later it will turn the sweetest person into an A**hole. ;)

NeverEnough 12-11-2007 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
you have to understand where HDDP is coming from, he works on Hollywood sets with many arrogant rich bast@rds everyday, and lazy Union slobs, sooner or later it will turn the sweetest person into an A**hole. ;)

Well, that last time I checked, this ain't Hollywood and the only Arrogant ******* around here is HDDP! Never take your personal problems to work with you. Never take your work problems home with you. If that is in fact the reason for his less than pleasant disposition...

huudoo 12-12-2007 11:44 AM

clicking ticking clatter
usually the lifters, when the oil reaches them.. pumped up the sound goes away ,
but 5 min time frame wow !

Maxwell 12-12-2007 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by huudoo
clicking ticking clatter
usually the lifters, when the oil reaches them.. pumped up the sound goes away ,
but 5 min time frame wow !

what lifters?

CoupeGirl 12-12-2007 01:20 PM

Mine had a loud tick not the normal benz sound, new engine is in and I hope to get it back in a few days...

Leviticus 01-13-2008 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by CoupeGirl
Mine had a loud tick not the normal benz sound, new engine is in and I hope to get it back in a few days...

So what ended up being the verdict on your tick to cause a Engine Replacement? I am going into the dealer on monday to have them listen to my tick, jackass kids in the dealer always try to give me a line cause I look young, little do they know I own a european repair shop, but if it is under warranty why should I get my hands dity?

Oh and HDDP needs to chill the frick out, grow up bro. Maybe he feels better about himself now, or feels like a cool guy, who knows what that guys problem is.

Maxwell 01-13-2008 04:50 PM

the tappet noise is not from the valve-train, there are a couple things that can make the noise, one is the little electric check valve on the drivers side, the exhaust manifold, timing chain sprocket is not getting oil from the oil sprayer, or the fuel injectors.

You could pick up an automotive stethoscope and trace it out.

Ecosse_Cross 01-16-2008 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check out the possible causes you mentioned. Good news is that the faint/occasional smell of burning oil in the cabin has been cured - a gasket has been replaced under warranty (cam-cover vent gasket I think it was).

gurudog 11-17-2010 12:50 PM

My 2005 with 15k miles and newly changed oil is now 'tapping' erratically at start up. After reading all threads...maybe overfilled? Or valve lifter clatter?
Is there any sort of additive to add to synthetic oil that may reduce this problem without ruining something or other? Old school there were 'valve noise reducers' available at cheapo auto stores.

Bladecutter 11-17-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by gurudog
My 2005 with 15k miles and newly changed oil is now 'tapping' erratically at start up. After reading all threads...maybe overfilled? Or valve lifter clatter?
Is there any sort of additive to add to synthetic oil that may reduce this problem without ruining something or other? Old school there were 'valve noise reducers' available at cheapo auto stores.

Don't add any additives to the engine oil.
They usually do more harm than good.

You should double check the work that was done.

Check the oil filter housing to see if it's leaking.
That's the most common place for leaks on these cars.

Check the oil that was placed in the engine.
If you did the change yourself, you should know what the oil was you put in.
If you brought it to a shop, you will need to call them, and ask them what they put in your car.

After that, you will need to figure out if it really is the lifters making noise on your car, or if it is actually the fuel injectors you are hearing. They are very loud on these cars.

Typically, the lifters are only heard for about a second or two on a cold start, then they quiet down after they are pumped full of oil again. An engine stethoscope would be very helpful in tracking down where the noise is centered at.

BC,.

gurudog 11-17-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Don't add any additives to the engine oil.
They usually do more harm than good.

You should double check the work that was done.

Check the oil filter housing to see if it's leaking.
That's the most common place for leaks on these cars.

Check the oil that was placed in the engine.
If you did the change yourself, you should know what the oil was you put in.
If you brought it to a shop, you will need to call them, and ask them what they put in your car.

After that, you will need to figure out if it really is the lifters making noise on your car, or if it is actually the fuel injectors you are hearing. They are very loud on these cars.

Typically, the lifters are only heard for about a second or two on a cold start, then they quiet down after they are pumped full of oil again. An engine stethoscope would be very helpful in tracking down where the noise is centered at.

BC,.

Thanks for this...had a feeling additives not the way to go...CFforum much appreciated once again.

boxdin 12-20-2012 11:32 AM

Although not really related, the search function at crossfire forum does not work. Many times I have searched like today, looking for "cold start die" and get one not very good match, but when I take same search to google I get many more answers from this site. Why does this sites search work so poorly?

onehundred80 12-20-2012 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by boxdin (Post 714465)
Although not really related, the search function at crossfire forum does not work. Many times I have searched like today, looking for "cold start die" and get one not very good match, but when I take same search to google I get many more answers from this site. Why does this sites search work so poorly?

I searched for the answer and got nothing.:p

It is not too good that's for sure, it just searches for words not phrases I think.
So it is best to use less words even one word if possible.

Cold and start got a lot of hits, adding die would get a lot of useless hits. So pick your words carefully.

Knowledge of former posts helps a lot but that is not much help to new users. I find that I can whittle down searches quite well if I can remember the original poster and then use one word. But I have read most posts since 2006 that interested me.

Airscape 12-20-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by boxdin (Post 714465)

The phrase "cold start die" is a poor search term for the internal search engine. It is basically looking for that exact wording some place in the post and unless somebody used broken english its most likely not going to find it. Also its not going to rank the results to determine the best options, its just going to give you the closest match it can find to your phrase. Googles algorithm is far more advanced than what you are going to get from a built in forum search with basic indexing. Just use the built in google search bar at the top of the forums for non descript queries, that's what it is there for.

boxdin 12-20-2012 12:43 PM

I'll try again, but for clarifications sake I did not use quotation marks, I learned not to do that except in certain situations.
Thanks Rick

arejohn 12-20-2012 07:05 PM

Would you demonstrate how well search would have worked for this users issue.

Disregard. I just saw the dates.

arejohn 12-20-2012 07:16 PM

I've been using the wrong one. Who new.

LARRYG36 01-09-2013 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gurudog (Post 543687)

HOLLY CRAP !!! You only have 15k on your 05, Last summer we hit 120k something on ours.:D Ours Tapes too at start-ups.

Attachment 42268

JustinX 12-01-2018 09:05 PM

[QUOTE]
My crossfire has about 150,000. It has a tick sound at startup, but goes away after about 2 minutes. If I drive it to work and it sits out in the sun all day, it does not make the ticking sound at startup. I tried using 2quart of Lucas oil stabilizer with my oil. It quites it down a lot. I will try the heavy duty oil stabilizer in the summer. I’m using the synthetic stuff now.

JEFASOLD 12-02-2018 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=JustinX;915685]

My crossfire has about 150,000. It has a tick sound at startup, but goes away after about 2 minutes. If I drive it to work and it sits out in the sun all day, it does not make the ticking sound at startup. I tried using 2quart of Lucas oil stabilizer with my oil. It quites it down a lot. I will try the heavy duty oil stabilizer in the summer. I’m using the synthetic stuff now.
A little clarification here. First, the thread is 6 years old. Two, the talk of lifters and tappets does not apply here. This engine has needle bearing rockers that ride directly on the overhead cams, no lifters, no tappets, it has a finish like a fine swiss watch. What they may be taking as tappet noise is probably the clearance between the rockers and cams.

onehundred80 12-03-2018 09:58 AM

[left][QUOTE=JEFASOLD;915693]

Originally Posted by JustinX (Post 915685)

A little clarification here. First, the thread is 6 years old. Two, the talk of lifters and tappets does not apply here. This engine has needle bearing rockers that ride directly on the overhead cams, no lifters, no tappets, it has a finish like a fine swiss watch. What they may be taking as tappet noise is probably the clearance between the rockers and cams.

So you say that there are no hydraulic lifters? What about the ones in the rocker arms? If they fail then you can get noise due to excessive clearsnce.

JEFASOLD 12-03-2018 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=onehundred80;915719]

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD (Post 915693)
So you say that there are no hydraulic lifters? What about the ones in the rocker arms? If they fail then you can get noise due to excessive clearsnce.

No, I don't think there are any. The rocker roller end rides on the cam, the other end contacts the valve stem. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

ala_xfire 12-03-2018 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=JEFASOLD;915724]

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 915719)
[left]

No, I don't think there are any. The rocker roller end rides on the cam, the other end contacts the valve stem. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes Jeff, there IS a Santa Claus, check out part #7 below .......
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...2619b1af9f.png

onehundred80 12-03-2018 03:55 PM

[left][QUOTE=JEFASOLD;915724]

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 915719)

I thought I tactfully did correct you.
Swiss watch or not manufacturing tolerances and expansion due to heat cannot be avoided.