Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Forced induction tuning

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced induction tuning

I have read numerous threads about supercharging and turbo charging the NA 3.2 and have yet to find any solid information. Has anyone tried tuning with SAFC,AFPR, larger injectors, and wide band 02? This works on most cars and I am wondering why they don't work on the xfire.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Forced induction tuning

here you go, enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/gregcclk55/

Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM

The split second ARC looks like it works very similar to the SAFC from Apexi. The only major difference I see is the adjustability. The Apexi allows adjustment in 500 rpm intervals while the ARC is only low mid and high. I'm still wondering why no one has tuned their crossfire this way yet. Its ultra cheap. SAFC is $300, injectors $300, Getting a turbo fabbed runs around $3500. Then you could use an EGT Gauge or wideband 02 to tune. For about $5000 you are at 400 whp with a manual tranny. Someone hurry up and tell me why this won't work before I get started.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemifire
I am wondering why they don't work on the xfire.
Who says they don't?

Actually, I know who says they don't, but take what they say with a grain of salt.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm still wondering why no one has tuned their crossfire this way yet.
You assume, wrongly, that cost is the issue. Lack of understanding of turbo systems is a big issue (there's still a long way to go towards getting the bolt-on tuners educated about forced induction, but it will happen eventually.) There's a bigger reason however:

All Crossfires on the market are less than 5 years old. A lot of cars are still under the original powertrain warranty . A lot of people are waiting for their original warranty periods to run out before putting big power out with their cars.

I expect to see the first big run of Crossfire tuners hit in a next two or three years. We already know that the stock engine has forged rods, strengthened crankshaft, and piston oil-sprayers. Stock, it can take 0.5bar/7.5 to 8psi boost with a proper 11.5/12:1 AFR tune under boost. With an intercooler and a properly sized turbo, the projected theoretical power at this pressure is 330hp (at the crank).

I'm basing this on M113 tuning information as well as my past experiences with turboing stock honda engines.

Another thing is that the real challenge is actually fitting the turbochargers into the engine bay of the Crossfire. To be perfectly honest, the Crossfire's engine bay is barely big enough to fit the engine itself let alone a turbo. As posted before, there is the option of a remotely mounted turbo. From a packaging standpoint, it makes sense.

In any case, money is not the issue.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Hmmmm.... warranty ? or performance? I know what I am choosing since my warranty is far gone. I was really just baffled that there is not one turboed crossfire on this forum(that I could find). If I had the SRT, the first thing I would do is replace the SC with a turbo, its lighter and far more efficient. Money is always an issue, the warranty is looked upon as a monetary value, and there are tons of threads about how the kleeman is just way too expensive. I'm sure there is more than one person on here that would give five grand and there left nut to have their limited boosted. Not to mention if I try to sell my xfire in order to get a SRT I'm gonna lose more than five grand. There are about 25 xfires on ebay at any given moment you can get for $13-$14k all with fairly low miles. If there continues to be a lack of performance parts for this car the values are going to continue to drop. Ramble Ramble Ramble...........

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I have read numerous threads about supercharging and turbo charging the NA 3.2 and have yet to find any solid information. Has anyone tried tuning with SAFC,AFPR, larger injectors, and wide band 02? This works on most cars and I am wondering why they don't work on the xfire.
sure they will all work, all you have to do is wire them in

Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 AM

If I had the SRT, the first thing I would do is replace the SC with a turbo, its lighter and far more efficient
I think "If you had" is the operative phrase here. The truth of the matter is that all the people who do have SRT's don't bother because the car is friggin beast already. "If I had a million dollars" I'd buy you a fur coat. But not a real fur coat, that's cruel...

I'm sure there is more than one person on here that would give five grand and there left nut to have their limited boosted.
With all respect, name two?

If there continues to be a lack of performance parts for this car the values are going to continue to drop.
Are you claiming that "lack of performance parts" = "lower car value"?
Are you a SEMA rep?

Last edited by sonoronos; 02-20-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM

The split second ARC looks like it works very similar to the SAFC from Apexi. The only major difference I see is the adjustability. The Apexi allows adjustment in 500 rpm intervals while the ARC is only low mid and high. I'm still wondering why no one has tuned their crossfire this way yet. Its ultra cheap. SAFC is $300, injectors $300, Getting a turbo fabbed runs around $3500. Then you could use an EGT Gauge or wideband 02 to tune. For about $5000 you are at 400 whp with a manual tranny. Someone hurry up and tell me why this won't work before I get started.
you have to realize that mostly 99% of all crossfire owners didn't buy the car to tune it and all the tuning companies out there that have the ability to do it realized this fact so they didn't bother with the car. just have to waite for the 04's to come off warrantee, so sit tight

Last edited by Maxwell; 02-20-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I know what must be done now.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 PM

you might be better off finding someone to program your Vin number into an SRT6 ecu. they are probably the best ecu tune on the street.

more than one way to skin a cat!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular

i don't know where your located but i got a guy john in upstate new york near syracuse who swears he can fab up a turbo and tune out the door for a price of 4500.00 i just don't want to go for it yet he owns a shop called turbo zone. does alot of domestics but seems to think he would have no problem with the tuning part of the car but i just don't know if he realizes the problems with tuning for this car. i dont know just waiting for someone to break through i guess before i go for it.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 PM

first of all you need to purchase a wideband O2 sensor and readout., mount it in your exhaust.

Let me know when you get this part done then I'll give you the next ingredient.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Forum Regular

def. need a wideband i wouldn't run without it i have a plx wideband from my srt-4 that i pulled out before i sold it. Always good to have that wideband to watch while tuning something in.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 PM

I would recommend 2 widebands, one for each cylinder bank.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I would recommend 2 widebands, one for each cylinder bank.
Is it really neccesarry to have two widebands?

If you are using matched fuel injectors then you only need one O2 sensor. all cylinders should run the same.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
Is it really neccesarry to have two widebands?

If you are using matched fuel injectors then you only need one O2 sensor. all cylinders should run the same.
Not necessary, just recommended.

With two cylinder banks, two different headers, and therefore two separate exhaust flows, it's possible to have the volumetric efficiency of each cylinder bank differ.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM

I won't be starting my turbo project for another three weeks or so. So far the plan is to run a single Garrett GT series turbo. I will install a wideband O2 and use only a fmu to tune. I will install an EGT, FMIC and BOV as well. I'll keep you guys posted when this happens. My goals are to keep everything simple.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM

cool, I guess you won't be going past 6 psi ?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 PM

I won't be starting my turbo project for another three weeks or so. So far the plan is to run a single Garrett GT series turbo. I will install a wideband O2 and use only a fmu to tune. I will install an EGT, FMIC and BOV as well. I'll keep you guys posted when this happens. My goals are to keep everything simple.
Don't forget the intercooler.

Quick Reply: Forced induction tuning