Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Debating...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Debating...

I've been doing some reading on the exhaust and have some up with a few options that I'd like to have opinions on...

Option 1 - Replace existing 2 1/2" exhaust with 3". I've read this will give a "throatier" sound for stock mufflers.

Option 2- Replace muffler with Magnaflow 12158 (liked the sound of that one)

Option 3 - Do Option 1 & 2 but use the 12198 instead. I'm worried if this would make it too loud or unbearable for normal crusing (too loud inside).

Any opinions, comments, bashings welcome.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Debating...

Since you asked...what do you expect from this exhaust? More power or more/ better sound? I'd be surprised if the NA xfire has 2.5" exhaust, and certainly going to dual 3" pipes would be way over kill and would snuf out what little torque you have. Perhaps the dual head pipes into a single 3" pipe and then into one magnaflow might gain you something, but good chance it will end up sounding "tinny". Like you said, exhaust reverberating on the highway rpms is pretty likely. V6's almost never sound good, with hotrod exhausts, but just wait here, while my opinion is berated and argued...I'd suggest not letting the muffler shop hack up too much of the factory system so you can put it back in.

Originally Posted by itsky
I've been doing some reading on the exhaust and have some up with a few options that I'd like to have opinions on...

Option 1 - Replace existing 2 1/2" exhaust with 3". I've read this will give a "throatier" sound for stock mufflers.

Option 2- Replace muffler with Magnaflow 12158 (liked the sound of that one)

Option 3 - Do Option 1 & 2 but use the 12198 instead. I'm worried if this would make it too loud or unbearable for normal crusing (too loud inside).

Any opinions, comments, bashings welcome.