Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Sprint Booster - I don't get it

Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprint Booster - I don't get it

OK, When you press the accelerator done 1 each, the car thinks you pressed it down 2 inches. How does that make the car faster, or quicker or whatever. Is it peceived speed or what?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Sprint Booster - I don't get it

I like stock myself, but if your into late braking around corners and doing heel-toe shifts it helps alot,

so far Itried the manual and automatic versions, and just didn't like them, the manual one has poor throttle resolution, not to mention way too twitchy. I would like to try the srt6AMG version, it's tamed down version of the automaticSB

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really on the fence about this - stabbing the gas pedal to the floor brings the revs up really slowly in stock configuration. I've read similar things to btfpro's comment that it makes the computer think you've pushed the throttle down twice as far as you really did, but if that's all then so what? That makes it sound like the revs don't come up any faster, just higher. To me that's still very slow throttle response. My Miata had a very lively throttle; a quick stab at the go pedal brought a very quick jump in revs. THAT is what I want.

Oddly enough I didn't really mind the stock configuration while on track, but on the street it just seems too slow. Of course I was driving much more aggressively on track that I do on the street, so that's probably part of it. I dunno...... I'd really like to drive a manual car with one.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I like stock myself.. not to mention way too twitchy...
I'm with Maxwell on this one...http://forum.evotechnik.net/attachme...6&d=1200489876

Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 PM

good link there,

If I could have the SB on a selective swtch, I'de be all over it, but unfortunatly your stuck with it everyday, it gets uncomfortable to drive with

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by btfpro
OK, When you press the accelerator done 1 each, the car thinks you pressed it down 2 inches. How does that make the car faster, or quicker or whatever. Is it peceived speed or what?
by the time you've reached one inch, you are already at two? well, there you go, you just save that time that it takes to go to two inches. that's about all it acomplishes. it did give my car a more go-kart like feel, which was kinda cool, unless you are in traffic. it seems most effective for the initial take off.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so if its how you guys say it is and it thinks its getting pressed twice as hard as normal wouldnt half of the back end of the pedal be dead? since your at WOT at 1/2 press

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM

and tvt said yesterday in another thread that the srt-6 guys have to go with the tamed down version because if we ever decide to go with a pulley it will do something bad. why is this? it doesnt do anything to the fuel. i personally want the fastest reacting and quickest throttle. so i would want the regular autosb not the amg

Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by splinter
Thanks so much for the attachment. It has helped clear up a few things. I don't think it will be worth the expense for me. To me the 'throttle' or 'gas' peddle is kind of stiff feeling. I would like to find a way to 'loosen' it up. I am not looking for more response per initial inches, just a looser feeling if that makes sense.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM

Having read the article that splinter linked to (a big thank you for that!) I can see where the SB would pretty much be a waste for an automatic transmission equipped vehicle. But for a manual gearbox car I can see where it could be exactly what I want for easier heel/toe downshifts. If an inch of pedal travel effectively becomes 2 inches, or however much the system is "tricked" into thinking the pedal is being depressed, I see that as a huge improvement in the "feel" of the car during that maneuver.

The article may have just about sold me on one, even though the conclusions arrived at in it are essentially negative. Bottom line: I want my sports car to feel like a sports car. It looks like the SB will help with that.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:02 AM
TVT_DESIGN

Originally Posted by Voyager
and tvt said yesterday in another thread that the srt-6 guys have to go with the tamed down version because if we ever decide to go with a pulley it will do something bad. why is this? it doesnt do anything to the fuel. i personally want the fastest reacting and quickest throttle. so i would want the regular autosb not the amg
I never mentioned anything about a pulley at all. The AMG ECU sometimes will send a code because of the voltage difference the A version makes, that is why they developed A2.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Banned

For the most used portion of "gas" pedal travel ( up to ~ 66 % of total travel) , the SB increases revs with much less "gas" pedal travel than it takes to increase revs without it (stock). It effectively recalibrates it.

I have one and I love it. For me it makes it feel like the car is much more responsive. If you have a heavy foot and need to "STOMP" on the accelerator, then you probably won't like the SB...

Do I need to be told that you would just prefer to press the accelerator twice the distance to get the same effect, for no $$$ ? Probably not... I spent the $$$, I'm happy and I'll bet many others are too, based on what I've seen here.

As the guy who doesn't get it either says in his whitepaper :

" It is important to note that any accelerator signal to the ECU using a Sprint Booster can be duplicated exactly by a driver without the Sprint Booster, merely by pressing the accelerator pedal a greater distance."

I'll pay the $$$ to fool my brain, thanks - it feels so good :-)

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM

I drive an auto in mine and can't believe I didnt buy an SB sooner. I was skeptical as well, but took the plunge and my crossfire is a whole new car. It makes it quicker, and a whole lot more responsive. I usually hot rod in my replica cobra and love the snappy response from that car, and my only complaint about the crossfire was how slow it responded. If I was driving the crossfire and somebody wanted to play, by the time the crossfire decided to move (with me fully depressing the pedal) they were gone whether my car was quicker or not. Now, if I push the gas, it moves and thats what its all about. Just my two and a half cents worth

Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 AM

Bingo, there is no more throttle after say 50% travel
Originally Posted by Voyager
so if its how you guys say it is and it thinks its getting pressed twice as hard as normal wouldnt half of the back end of the pedal be dead? since your at WOT at 1/2 press

Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried my brothers automatic sb on my manual xf ... i found it entirely annoying as it destroyed the drivability the car had before. it was so twitchy and jerky i felt like was diriving my old neon with a stretched out clutch cable and torn motor mounts again. just did not feel right at all.

the sloppyness of the automatic should make it a livable mod on my brothers xf.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
She can ride with me ;)

I can totally understand everyone's skepticism. I was VERY skeptical myself. After all, $300 isn't exactly chump change. But the ONE thing that was annoying the crap out of me about my car was the way the throttle behaved. It seemed sluggish and this effected the way the automatic transmission behaved too. It seemed like seconds for the car to respond when I would floor it. It seemed like forever for the throttle to respond and for the transmission to kick down a gear. So I asked around about this, thinking something was wrong with my car. Unfortunately, there was nothing wrong with my car, it was acting exactly as intended by DaimlerChrysler.

Folks here in the forum pretty universally said that the SprintBooster would solve my problems. So I tried it. And it definitely solved the problem. I don't care if the SB is just a signal amplifier. It has made my car a joy to drive. The feel of the car is much more like a physical throttle (not drive-by-wire). It's responsive, and the transmission reacts much snappier.

I can see how a person with a manual transmission wouldn't need a SprintBooster. In a manual you have total control, and the throttle behavior isn't as significant. But for those of you with an automatic, try the SprintBooster. Come to a get-together. I'm sure someone will either let you drive their car, or let you try their SprintBooster. I completely understand not wanting to spend $300 without knowing for sure.

I'm glad I bought mine. To me, the car with the SprintBooster is how it should have come from the factory. It's a joy to drive.

Last edited by tom2112; 04-30-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 PM

FYI ... The SB has nothing to do with being the same as just pressing the pedal twice as far, pressing the pedal further has nothing to do with inherent drive by wire throttle lag . Sorry but simply pressing the pedal harder to achieve WOT will not change the initial lag no matter if it is from a start or throttle up while at speed. Throttle Lag is a delay in throttle response from the time you touch the pedal until the car responds to the command.
By the way it no it does not increase HP nor can it be measured by a DYNO. For more info just do a search and you will find TONS if info on this site.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 PM

one other observation, i'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but when cruising at 55mph or so and then flooring it, i couldn't get it to shift down 2 gears (on an automatic, of course); i had to resort to the stick part of the auto-stick and do manually which is a little annoying with an auto-stick (two twitches). that's another reason i stated above that it is really only good for the initial take off.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:39 PM
TVT_DESIGN

If anyone is on the fence I will allow a 15 day money back policy if you want to try out the product. As long as it is returned in good working order, there is no risk.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
If anyone is on the fence I will allow a 15 day money back policy if you want to try out the product. As long as it is returned in good working order, there is no risk.
I was sort of hoping you might extend an offer like this. I'm pretty sure I want one but $310 still seems really pricey to me for this piece.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - I don't get it