Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Hood Liner

Old 10-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood Liner

How important is the hood liner? If you took it off would you be able to hear the supercharger better? But also if you took it off would the hood deform from the heat or the paint melt?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Hood Liner

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
How important is the hood liner? If you took it off would you be able to hear the supercharger better? But also if you took it off would the hood deform from the heat or the paint melt?
Since the Base car never came with a liner from the factory, I don't think you would have any problems.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I haven't seen any ill effects in the area of the hole that I have in my hood liner. (I'm missing an area of hood liner where an experiment went wrong while I was trying to figure out how to get the supercharger to be on all of the time).
So I don't think any damage will occur if I take the remaining hood liner off. Actually it might even look better!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remember that the base model doesnt anywere near the amount of heat in the engine compartment that the srt-6 does. i do believe however woody removed his liner without issues

Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
I haven't seen any ill effects in the area of the hole that I have in my hood liner. (I'm missing an area of hood liner where an experiment went wrong while I was trying to figure out how to get the supercharger to be on all of the time).
So I don't think any damage will occur if I take the remaining hood liner off. Actually it might even look better!
how about glueing some polished aluminium to the underside so it reflects the motor!!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
remember that the base model doesnt anywere near the amount of heat in the engine compartment that the srt-6 does. i do believe however woody removed his liner without issues
The hood liner is for "SOUND DEADENING" purposes. I doubt if it offers much heat insulation.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Forum Regular

I thought about doing that but using a mirror film instead of aluminium. If it looks like crap I can peel it off or just put the hood liner back on. I will do it on saturday and will post some pics.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol i want to hear more about this experiment!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Forum Regular

Tighed 1 do we have eltronic clutches on the supercharger? Also the supercharge turns on at a certian rpm. So some how there must be a regulator to tell the supercharger to turn on when the car gets to that certian rpm. So what would happen if you just hooked the power source for the supercharge to a power source that is always on. Then the supercharger would be on at all times. Would this work or does it have nothing to do with what i just said.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe TVT removed their liner for better heat dissipation. I don't think they've had any issues.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Tighed 1 do we have eltronic clutches on the supercharger? Also the supercharge turns on at a certian rpm. So some how there must be a regulator to tell the supercharger to turn on when the car gets to that certian rpm. So what would happen if you just hooked the power source for the supercharge to a power source that is always on. Then the supercharger would be on at all times. Would this work or does it have nothing to do with what i just said.
Then the ECU wouldn't know when the supercharger was on or not. That said, I'm not sure what input signal the ECU uses for fuel maps(SC on 0/1) or manifold pressure or RPM etc. It might have no effect, but I can almost guarantee someone already tried it on here.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Forum Regular

What if you just put a full time power source to it and still kept the regular wires. Then wouldn't the power go back through the stock wires and then the ecu would be tricked into thinking it was on.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:02 AM

Tighed 1 do we have eltronic clutches on the supercharger? Also the supercharge turns on at a certian rpm. So some how there must be a regulator to tell the supercharr to geturn on when the car gets to that certian rpm. So what would happen if you just hooked the power source for the supercharge to a power source that is always on. Then the supercharger would be on at all times. Would this work or does it have nothing to do with what i just said.
Trust me you don't wanta go there. The car will run slower that an N/A car. I think Woody tried this also. It doesn't work. The car knows.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
The hood liner is for "SOUND DEADENING" purposes. I doubt if it offers much heat insulation.
Well, after taking a closer look at my hood liner (mine's removed) I found a small spot chewed away by a mouse (don't ask) Anyway, I noticed the aluminum foil material inside, so it does act as a heat insulator as well. My bad.
I guess if I had one of those SRT "toaster ovens" under my hood, maybe I would be a little concerned. Or I'd open up my hood scoop to let the cool air in and not worry about it.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
lol i want to hear more about this experiment!
Ok here's the deal. Once the above didn't work (hooking the SC up to constant 12v) I decided to try to mechanically keep the SC engaged.

I removed the SC pulley, cut pieces of bike inner tube and placed them in between the SC and the pulley so that the gap was eliminated and the SC would always be connected to the pulley.

Sure enough it worked! Boost was instant. No waiting till 1300 RPM or so. Till I put some RPM's behind it. Then Bam! Due to centrifugal force the inner tube was forced out of the gap and it "exploded". That's what removed a portion of my hood liner.

Hey! No laughin' out loud! I wuz doing it for all of us!

I'll try to post a pic later.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

As part of my cooling efforts to allow full throttle operation for an extended autocross run AND the cool down after it, I did many changes such as:

Developed the super cooler heat exchanger

Designed a 180 thermostat

Removed the heat blanket

Added hood openings for MUCH better cooling

Opened the grill vent to allow better airflow

Separated the IC and radiator fluids

Added heat shield to the passenger exhaust manifold

These have been successful and I started to do the design of a fuel controller that I have not touched for weeks. I am into a big house construction project that the rain keeps delaying but I will return.

Woody

Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok here's the deal. Once the above didn't work (hooking the SC up to constant 12v) I decided to try to mechanically keep the SC engaged.

I removed the SC pulley, cut pieces of bike inner tube and placed them in between the SC and the pulley so that the gap was eliminated and the SC would always be connected to the pulley.

Sure enough it worked! Boost was instant. No waiting till 1300 RPM or so. Till I put some RPM's behind it. Then Bam! Due to centrifugal force the inner tube was forced out of the gap and it "exploded". That's what removed a portion of my hood liner.

Hey! No laughin' out loud! I wuz doing it for all of us!

I'll try to post a pic later.

lol nothing wrong with thinking outside the box that is funny as hell though!

you could always jb weld your pulley so the supercharger stays on

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could you have run a wire to the clutch that was always on with the key? I have heard that a couple of people who have added the factory supercharger to na cars had to wire this way and the supercharger is always on. By the way, I removed my liner because there was some slight rubbing on my nice V8 engine cover. Without the liner I have no clearance problem.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
By the way, I removed my liner because there was some slight rubbing on my nice V8 engine cover.
Show off.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM

I took mine off without any issues yet......

Quick Reply: Hood Liner