Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Part Number for Engine Splash Shield?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Number for Engine Splash Shield?

I'm looking for a part number or a replacement for my cracked splash shield.. I live in NYC so unfortunately I just can't keep it off. A rock, pot hole or in my case dog will inevitably try and find it's way into my engine bay. I can't find a replacement online and the shop my car is at right now says they checked with Chrysler and it's going to take forever to get a replacement. I'm not too sure if that's the case. Does anyone have a Part number or know where I can get this part?!

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Part Number for Engine Splash Shield?

Part number 05096759AA

I would guess this is going to be a dealer item unless you find a used one - members here have removed theirs maybe you will find a seller

Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one for sale, PM me.
Originally Posted by redwolfb14
I'm looking for a part number or a replacement for my cracked splash shield.. I live in NYC so unfortunately I just can't keep it off. A rock, pot hole or in my case dog will inevitably try and find it's way into my engine bay. I can't find a replacement online and the shop my car is at right now says they checked with Chrysler and it's going to take forever to get a replacement. I'm not too sure if that's the case. Does anyone have a Part number or know where I can get this part?!

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

if that fails, PM me....lol

Old 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM

I pulled mine off as well, seems to run a bit cooler without it.
and i work on mine so often i get tired of taking it on and off

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

big ole' drip pan....lol

Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

I would not believe it would be as aerodynamic with it off plus a lot of crud finds it's way up into the engine compartment doesn't it?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 AM

ok, as you can tell by my awesomely crappy paint pictures, alcohol and anger dont mix, lol

but, with the undertray on. you'll have more drag, due to the fact that the undertray prevents air from having a fast escape path, it hits the back of the firewall and is effectively squeezed through the opening at the back of the hood (top line) and the gap between the undertray and the firewall. this is a big cause of the excessive underhood temps as the air has no place to go and basically slows down before it leaves the engine bay

without the tray, the air has a less restrictive path once it passes through the radiator and enters the engine bay. It quickly finds its way out of the engine bay and most of it will pass under the car. This of course causes more lift but at the speeds your average xf owner travels, this means nothing. If it were a true track car, it would matter. But by lowering your car you can negate this since more air traveling over vs. under = more downforce.

With the undertray my car ran at or above the center of the coolant temp gauge, without it it always runs below, no matter what im doing

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tray.jpg (10.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
notray.jpg (11.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM

Yeah the only reason I need the splash shield at this point is because I live in NYC and really can't afford to have a rock or a slightly raised piece of pavement destroy my engine. The car sits low to begin with.. I've thought about just leaving it out but after taking it off a couple of times and seeing scrape marks at the bottom.. It's just not a good idea

Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 544 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite
ok, as you can tell by my awesomely crappy paint pictures, alcohol and anger dont mix, lol
I thought these were crappy pictures of road kill with and without the tray. Sorry my mistake.

On a more serious note I do not think much air passes up under the hood as the rubber seal shuts of on the hood. People with oil leaks would get oil mist on the windshield without this seal.
Most air is ducted down the transmission tunnel and rearward.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but I highly doubt this "theory".
The flat smoth surface would be far more aerodynamic.
You would likely gain a bit of cooling without the guard but drag of the uneven surfaces is not where advantage would be seen.

but, with the undertray on. you'll have more drag, due to the fact that the undertray prevents air from having a fast escape path, it hits the back of the firewall and is effectively squeezed through the opening at the back of the hood (top line) and the gap between the undertray and the firewall. this is a big cause of the excessive underhood temps as the air has no place to go and basically slows down before it leaves the engine bay

without the tray, the air has a less restrictive path once it passes through the radiator and enters the engine bay. It quickly finds its way out of the engine bay and most of it will pass under the car. This of course causes more lift but at the speeds your average xf owner travels, this means nothing. If it were a true track car, it would matter. But by lowering your car you can negate this since more air traveling over vs. under = more downforce.

With the undertray my car ran at or above the center of the coolant temp gauge, without it it always runs below, no matter what im doing

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

But by lowering your car you can negate this since more air traveling over vs. under = more downforce.
Actually, ya got it bass-ackwards.

Think about a plane's wing: Flat on bottom, curved on top.

Straighter path of flow = higher pressure.

High pressure always seeks low pressure, thus generating lift.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K

john as a "routine xfire owner" doesnt that mean you routinely see in excess of 120 mph?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
john as a "routine xfire owner" doesnt that mean you routinely see in excess of 120 mph?
That would be a safe assumption...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 544 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K

That's not quite true.
The air pressure under a wing is not higher than the surrounding air pressure, but the pressure over the wing is less than the surrounding air pressure. That is because the air on top travels a farther distance. The difference in pressure creates the lift.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That's not quite true.
The air pressure under a wing is not higher than the surrounding air pressure, but the pressure over the wing is less than the surrounding air pressure. That is because the air on top travels a farther distance. The difference in pressure creates the lift.
That's basically what I said.

I said the air below the wing is highER pressure than the area over the wing. Since the wing is a fixed entity, the differences in pressure create an unequal force exerted on the object. The wing, being attached to the aircraft, is essentially ONE with the aircraft. So when the forces cause the wing to rise, the attached aircraft gets gently lofted up as well.

Perhaps you misread me to say that the area under a wing is a "high" pressure in general; which it isn't. But, it's high relative to the air above the wing.

Relativism... sheesh. It could complicate something as simple as tying your shoes...