Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Catalyst Chrysler Crossfire 3.2i Coupe

Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalyst Chrysler Crossfire 3.2i Coupe

Hello,

Im kinda new on this forum,

since 1 month im the happy owner of a Chrysler Crossfire 3.2i Coupe that is really exclusive here in the Netherlands.

Since a couple of days i have a noice in my exaust when the car is getting on temperture..
Probably it's the Catalyst.

Now im looking for a spare one, does anyone know what kind of exaust system is on the Chrysler Crossfire? can i take a Mercedes one? if yes what model can i take?

Please let me know because this sound.... makes me crazy!

Thanks....

Jeroen

Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Default Re: Catalyst Chrysler Crossfire 3.2i Coupe

Is it a ticking/ rattling that is worse after the car heats up? I am getting mine replaced today for free (catalytic converters were $3295 alone) because we have an 8 year/ 80,000 mile federal warranty for them. I have 78,000 miles on mine and it has done it off and on since I purchased it with 58,000 miles. My mechanic told me that they had a "brick" inside that comes loose and I have heard there are welds that can break too but all I know is that it is getting fixed for free. It did not throw any codes but I finally got a dealership to admit that it was the problem. I also think that I have a minor engine noise but we will see if it disappears completely after these are put on. I do not believe that the other noise is/are the injectors as I have a street biike and know very well what loud injectors sound like. Anyway, if it is a rattling after heating up my guess would be the catalytic converters.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Hmm yes it becomes worst when the motor is on tempature and when i accelerate heavy...

I will get it checked by the dealer this noon!, im thinking about to get the original caramic one replaced by a metal one that one should act better with 3.2 liter engines..

Also it's a strange thing that only one catalyist converter is making that noice, not both...

Thanks for your help,

Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jeroenvdheiden
Hmm yes it becomes worst when the motor is on tempature and when i accelerate heavy...

I will get it checked by the dealer this noon!, im thinking about to get the original caramic one replaced by a metal one that one should act better with 3.2 liter engines..

Also it's a strange thing that only one catalyist converter is making that noice, not both...

Thanks for your help,
just curious, do you have car inspections? If not, and it is a rear cat, you could just delete them altogether...any good muffler shop could do this...but, if you have inspections, that wouldn't work...good luck and welcome aboard...

Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 AM

Yes i have yearly inspections with gas inspection.. so i think im gonna replace him with a metal catalyst converter, are there more problems and expierences on the Crossfire with ''Monday morning Cats'' ?

And thanks! i was looking around for a forum like this because in the Netherlands there are very often specialsts on Crossfire's because this car isnt sold that much (about 8 thousend in the whole Netherlands)

Greets,

Jeroen

Old 05-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Yes i have yearly inspections with gas inspection.. so i think im gonna replace him with a metal catalyst converter, are there more problems and expierences on the Crossfire with ''Monday morning Cats'' ?

And thanks! i was looking around for a forum like this because in the Netherlands there are very often specialsts on Crossfire's because this car isnt sold that much (about 8 thousend in the whole Netherlands)

Greets,

Jeroen
not really....here in the states, we are always looking for more horse power, and or more performance, and removing the rear cats, and resonator seems to help some, and gives the car a better sound....but, in the states that inspect like in your country...they can't do that....so you are stuck, and will have to fix it....as for other things wrong with the car....there are several things that can go wrong...anything from seat heaters to crank shaft position sensors...you can use the search feature above....or just look thru all the threads....and you will find many things out about the car...you can also visit our car club forum at www.crossfireinternational.com welcome

Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 AM

aaah okay clear, yeah im stuck haha...

Im not sure if there is a Mercedes exaust system under the Crossfire or that it's a original Chrysler one?...

I will let it checked in this days *de dealer was this noon to busy*

Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 AM

aaah okay clear, yeah im stuck haha...

Im not sure if there is a Mercedes exaust system under the Crossfire or that it's a original Chrysler one?...

I will let it checked in this days *de dealer was this noon to busy*
as you know the car was manufactured at Karmann...but no bolt up MB system I know of ....but the parts are probably the same as MB.....you shouldn't have a problem....good luck...nice to meet you....

Old 06-05-2010, 01:08 PM

My noise from the converters is gone now after warm up but when the motor is started from a completely cold state (in the morning or after sitting for a couple of days) if makes a metallic clicking noise still. Now that the cats were replaced it is completely silent while driving at operating temperature but still has the bothersome sound at start up. Maybe the oil has not been delivered to vital moving parts fast enough? The rattle after warm up that got bad at 1600-2800 rpms was most definitely the cats though. The startup noise is present hardly ever if at all after the motor has been run during the day and re-started.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLK320 look identical to ours but I have not measured them.