Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Auto Transmission shifting problem

Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission shifting problem

05 Limited Roadster,,94K ,,sometimes the shift lever (slap stick?) will not down or up shift the transmission. It seems like the electronic shifting is not making connections. I usually get a check engine light . Dealer has seen the car several times and cannot find a problem. Once they thougtht it was the Winter/Summer switch or something like that. I do not know the code they are getting. Anyone had these types of problems? I tried to search but could not seem to find transmission electrinics. TIA

Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Default Re: Auto Transmission shifting problem

Originally Posted by XFire Woodie
05 Limited Roadster,,94K ,,sometimes the shift lever (slap stick?) will not down or up shift the transmission. It seems like the electronic shifting is not making connections. I usually get a check engine light . Dealer has seen the car several times and cannot find a problem. Once they thougtht it was the Winter/Summer switch or something like that. I do not know the code they are getting. Anyone had these types of problems? I tried to search but could not seem to find transmission electrinics. TIA
I'd like to get an answer to this too...just took my car into the dealership, because I was getting a check engine light, and on the way to my dealer, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear (manual/slap or auto). The dealership said I needed a new "shifter" and that it would cost $2350. Needless to say, I'm desperate to find anyone who's had the same problem and found a cheaper solution. BTW, my car's an SRT-6 roadster.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Question Re: Auto Transmission shifting problem

[quote=jcruse]I'd like to get an answer to this too...just took my car into the dealership, because I was getting a check engine light, and on the way to my dealer, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear (manual/slap or auto). The dealership said I needed a new "shifter" and that it would cost $2350. Needless to say, I'm desperate to find anyone who's had the same problem and found a cheaper solution. BTW, my car's an SRT-6 roadster.[/quote================

]Would it shift out of 2nd at redline?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jcruse
I'd like to get an answer to this too...just took my car into the dealership, because I was getting a check engine light, and on the way to my dealer, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear (manual/slap or auto). The dealership said I needed a new "shifter" and that it would cost $2350. Needless to say, I'm desperate to find anyone who's had the same problem and found a cheaper solution. BTW, my car's an SRT-6 roadster.
Not clear if the original poster has the same problem of being stuck in just one gear (second). But the indications of your problem are that the car is in Limp Home Mode.

There are a number of things that will cause the car to Limp. Best to get the codes read and go from there.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check the the fluid level if it hasn't been done yet. If it's low it will cause all those symptoms and more.

Last edited by robby363; 08-05-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Not clear if the original poster has the same problem of being stuck in just one gear (second). But the indications of your problem are that the car is in Limp Home Mode.

There are a number of things that will cause the car to Limp. Best to get the codes read and go from there.
Hate to hi-jack the original thread, but the car is at the dealership, and they said the engine code that was flashing (-62), indicated a failing "shifter". I assume they mean the gearshift assembly, but they gave me a part #: 5114056aa, but I can't find anything on that number anywhere...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by robby363
I would check the the fluid leve if it hasn't been done yetl. If it's low it will cause all those symptoms and more.
I asked the dealer, and they said fluid level was normal...

Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM

The car has been stuck in all gears at different times. It has even been stuck in drive (5th) at a stop light and of course will VERY slowly get underway. For the last two days it has been fine. There seems to be no mechanical trouble now. It seems that all the electronic shifting is where the problem is. There is no noise in the transmission but when it is acting up it may shift at an inappropriate time, either too soon or late. I do not know how to check the fluid. Does a dealer have to do that? TIA

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM

The car has been stuck in all gears at different times. It has even been stuck in drive (5th) at a stop light and of course will VERY slowly get underway. For the last two days it has been fine. There seems to be no mechanical trouble now. It seems that all the electronic shifting is where the problem is. There is no noise in the transmission but when it is acting up it may shift at an inappropriate time, either too soon or late. I do not know how to check the fluid. Does a dealer have to do that? TIA
With 94k on your car has the fluid and filter ever been changed? You would need to buy the proper dipstick tool to check it yourself as our transmissions don't come with a dipstick.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM

The dealer mentioned changing the fluid but I am really not sure. I will check. The absence of the dip stick is weird and something I have never felt comfortable about. I have not worried too much about the engine oil because I change it frequently. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Let us know what it turns out to be!
Might help someone later.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by jcruse
If you want a shifter heres one on ebay.
04 05 06 07 08 Chrysler Crossfire Shifter assembly: eBay Motors (item 270618096266 end time Aug-10-10 10:00:52 PDT)
It's got to be cheaper than your stealers price.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM

I would check the the fluid level if it hasn't been done yet. If it's low it will cause all those symptoms and more.
Robby, I think you got it. I had the dealer change the transmisssion filter and fluid and have not had a problem for over a week of daily driving. There is definitly a different feel to the shifting of the transmission and there have been no malfunctions. I am hoping the problem is solved. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, just a quick question on this, I have the auto and last night was just playing with it, and was slapping it, and jamming the throttle at the same time in a short area. Looked down as saw I was in 4th, but really didn't think I had hit it 3 times.

So the question is, will this trans get to a certain point and upshift itself regardless of me hitting the shift? Thanks.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

05 Limited Roadster,,94K
I have general questions.

1) How many miles did the car have when you got it?

2) What other kinds of problems are you having, or have you had?

I ask these not to troubleshoot, but to get a testimony from someone with some MILES on his car, to see what we can expect from these cars. We had a poster a while back with 176,000 miles on an SRT who reported little trouble,but they'd only had the car about 30,000 miles.

Just wondering what you think of your car with those miles... I'm at 29,000 + a bit with my 05 Limited AUto Roadster and just wondering abotu your perspective.

And TIA to you.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Pizza,

I bought the car in Dec. 06 with 9K on it. It has been my primary vehicle since then. I drive it daily, rain or shine. I have never had a more enjoyable and dependable car in my life. I have been through four sets of tires and I am replacing the shocks next week. The transmission problem is the ONLY problem I have had and at this point it appears to have been a simple fix. If they made new X-fires I would have one. Since they don't, I may have to have the MB. I would get the SLK 55 AMG if at all possible. This V6 in the X-fire is one of the smoothest engines I have ever had and it is my first MB engine. What they say about them is true. When this one gives up I will look for a nice low mileage one, possibly an SRT, otherwise an SLK.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
By the way, just a quick question on this, I have the auto and last night was just playing with it, and was slapping it, and jamming the throttle at the same time in a short area. Looked down as saw I was in 4th, but really didn't think I had hit it 3 times.

So the question is, will this trans get to a certain point and upshift itself regardless of me hitting the shift? Thanks.
Yes it will.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Pizza,

I bought the car in Dec. 06 with 9K on it. It has been my primary vehicle since then. I drive it daily, rain or shine. I have never had a more enjoyable and dependable car in my life. I have been through four sets of tires and I am replacing the shocks next week. The transmission problem is the ONLY problem I have had and at this point it appears to have been a simple fix. If they made new X-fires I would have one. Since they don't, I may have to have the MB. I would get the SLK 55 AMG if at all possible. This V6 in the X-fire is one of the smoothest engines I have ever had and it is my first MB engine. What they say about them is true. When this one gives up I will look for a nice low mileage one, possibly an SRT, otherwise an SLK.
Just what we all wanted to hear.

Thanks and enjoy the ride - if what many here believe to be true, you may be in it for another 90K miles.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will.
thanks for letting me know that Robby. "preciate it/ This car reminds me of a nintendo game more and more. There's a slick bonus under the third coin on the right, and if you hit the brick just right you get another life. LOL! Thanks again. Mark

Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Just what we all wanted to hear.

Thanks and enjoy the ride - if what many here believe to be true, you may be in it for another 90K miles.
I hope your right, that would be great. John

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission shifting problem