Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Got Nitrous?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Got Nitrous?

As customary for me with any car I race, I've decided to install nitrous on the Crossfire. If you're one of the sheep that thinks nitrous is "cheating", please do me a favor and stop reading and move on to another thread, as I'm not asking for your opinion, suggestions, thoughts, or input. This is intended for those that are pro-nitrous and are open-minded to installing nitrous on their Crossfire.

Okay, now that we've filtered out the prejudiced "nitrous is cheating" crowd, lets move on to how I installed the kit.

Yes, there have been mentions of nitrous in the past, but there aren't any active threads with photos showing how it was done on a SRT6 Crossfire. For the time being, this won't be an actual "how to" thread, but it will become such if there is interest.

My motivation in installing the kit is to catch up with Jim's badass V8 Crossfire.

Nitrous Management Unit - NMU and Window Switch
:

I installed the NMU in the most convenient location as possible. The NMU receives fuel from the fuel rail, nitrous from the line running from the hatch, and delivers fuel and nitrous to the nozzle. Beside the NMU I installed the Window switch, which is located to the upper left of the purple NMU box in the photo below. The window switch allows you to start and stop the nitrous at a specific RPM.

IMG_20130203_165205_928_zps873ef61b.jpg

Bottle installation:

I removed the rear carpeted cover and dyna-mat. Next I drilled four holes aligned with the bolts of the bottle bracket. After drilling the holes, I had 5/16" nuts welded to the floor, centered on the holes. I then drilled holes in the dyna-mat to clear the nuts, and reinstalled the dyna-mat.

IMG_20130128_175732_305_zpsc74f7d27.jpg

IMG_20130128_180303_482_zpsc8fdd0a6.jpg

IMG_20130203_164347_322_zps8e359ad4.jpg?t=1359936343

Nitrous line from bottle to the engine bay:

I ran the nitrous line from the hatch to the front of the car via the gap in the wall (gas tank area) and along the driver's floorboard and into the engine bay though the stock grommet.

Nozzle:

After contacting ZEX regarding the placement of the nozzle, I installed it approximately 3 feet from the TB. This is typically a no-go, but it's not an issue for us due to being supercharged. I wanted it in the rubber hose instead of the aluminum tube in case I needed to move it for some reason in the future. Rubber hose is cheap, the aluminum tubing isn't.

IMG_20130203_165105_833_zpsdc804c4c.jpg

Fuel Pressure Safety Switch - FPSS:

I installed the FPSS at the fuel rail. I have a TTM looped rail, but your install wouldn't be much different without it, except you'll need an adapter. The FPSS will turn off the nitrous if fuel pressure drops by killing the ground to the NMU. Safety First!

IMG_20130203_165049_686_zps79593b3e.jpg

That's it for now, as I'd like to watch the Superbowl and eat my chicken wings. I'll proof read this thread tomorrow and correct the errors.

Here's a link to the other photos of the Nitrous install: http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/t...w%20Crossfire/

Last edited by grip grip; 02-05-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Default Re: Got Nitrous?

Reserved in case it's needed.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never used nitrous but I'm getting close to taking the leap. The more I know about it the more likely that I'll do it. It would come in handy in the 1/2 events. So, post all the details so I can copy you in the future. I'd also love to hit 10's in the 1/4.

Les

Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I've never used nitrous but I'm getting close to taking the leap. The more I know about it the more likely that I'll do it. It would come in handy in the 1/2 events. So, post all the details so I can copy you in the future. I'd also love to hit 10's in the 1/4.

Les
I don't know about 10's for me, but I think low 11's are in my future. PM me your number if you decide to pull the trigger.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nitrous is cheating. cheater cheater!!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
nitrous is cheating. cheater cheater!!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice clean install

Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed nitrous oxide injection on a friends Honda CB750. This in 1974. It still could not keep up with my Norton in the corners. I had fun doing it. I still have the Norton. Gary

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nort 001.JPG (1.00 MB, 32 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arado
I installed nitrous oxide injection on a friends Honda CB750. This in 1974. It still could not keep up with my Norton in the corners. I had fun doing it. I still have the Norton. Gary
I sold my 74 850 Commando 5 years ago to buy my Kawi Concours. I went from being a M/C mechanic, to a M/C rider.

I'm starting to look at nitrous for my 05 limited conv. Sounds like fun.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

looks good to me. what shot did you put in?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Anthony, I heard that the Nitrous will destroy the supercharger blade coating,,, I would check that out before too long just to be sure.
now if you run three nozzles on each manifold this would inject after the SC and directly into each cyl.

Jsbenz is running nitrous in his CL55 but that is not supercharged, he runs 10.51.. jim

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM

I have no interest in using the nitrous on the street, so I'll only be running it on track days. Currently the car is setup to run up to a 75 shot. I will likely bump that up to 100 if all goes well. As for the SC rotors, I'll pull the SC off next winter and inspect for changes.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by grip grip
I have no interest in using the nitrous on the street, so I'll only be running it on track days. Currently the car is setup to run up to a 75 shot. I will likely bump that up to 100 if all goes well. As for the SC rotors, I'll pull the SC off next winter and inspect for changes.
that sounds good,,BTW the install looks great,, you sure you didn't have someone else do it for you LOL..
where you have the bottle located, below that is where i have my Batt,,just saying if you didn't want it seen you could do as i did remove the styrofoam,,, the bottle ,,I think will fit below the trunk floor. jim

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by amx1397
that sounds good,,BTW the install looks great,, you sure you didn't have someone else do it for you LOL..
where you have the bottle located, below that is where i have my Batt,,just saying if you didn't want it seen you could do as i did remove the styrofoam,,, the bottle ,,I think will fit below the trunk floor. jim

Thanks, Jim. It took me way too long to install everything. Figuring out how to program the NMU was a real PITA. You have to open the TB blade by hand to get a WOT voltage to the NMU. This was a riddle in itself since the TB will not allow you to open it by hand.

As for the bottle, I wanted to be able to remove all evidence of it when not at the track, so it took me some head scratching to come up with the solution I went with. Also, for me, it is necessity that the bottle be fully accessible and in the open.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Got Nitrous?

Id consider to add the nitrous after the intercooler, at the wye pipe area for most gain and less stress on the sc. Woody

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grip grip
Thanks, Jim. It took me way too long to install everything. Figuring out how to program the NMU was a real PITA. You have to open the TB blade by hand to get a WOT voltage to the NMU. This was a riddle in itself since the TB will not allow you to open it by hand.

As for the bottle, I wanted to be able to remove all evidence of it when not at the track, so it took me some head scratching to come up with the solution I went with. Also, for me, it is necessity that the bottle be fully accessible and in the open.
Fwiw you can cut or disconnect one of the motor wires and get voltages off the tps with the key on, moving it by hand. No cell after re-connecting. Nice install!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Fwiw you can cut or disconnect one of the motor wires and get voltages off the tps with the key on, moving it by hand. No cell after re-connecting. Nice install!
In hindsight, that would have been quicker, but I wanted to connect to the TB out of stubbornness and familiarity. It's a 5 minute job now that I know how to circumvent the TB motors.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Id consider to add the nitrous after the intercooler, at the wye pipe area for most gain and less stress on the sc. Woody
I agree, but due to practicality I left the nozzle and jets accessible.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice install, looking forward to seeing what you can do with the spray, Anthony...

Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good.
I have my bottle under the rear cover. I cut the styrofoam on the pass side.
I made a wooden frame that sits between the trunk floor and the carpet which also gives me a couple inches of space to hide things.
Like ice scraper ,tire plug kit, gloves, detail stuff, ect.

Quick Reply: Got Nitrous?