Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

CX Racing Heat Exchanger

Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CX Racing Heat Exchanger

Just wondering if anyone has done a universal heat exchanger upgrade such as this unit from CX Racing on their SRT-6.

cxracing.com: Aluminum Heat Exchanger For Air to Water Intercooler Applications, Core: 21"x6"x2.5"

I was looking at the options we have for aftermarket heat exchangers (Needswings, Eurocharged Performance, etc etc) and was also entertaining the idea of just doing a universal unit instead. I ran a universal CX Racing intercooler on my old Mazdaspeed Miata and it worked great. All I had to do was trim my factory I/C piping and it fit like a charm. The biggest "issue" I would see with running this unit from CX Racing is a mounting solution. But fabbing up brackets of some sort to keep it in place should be relatively easy.

Anyone see any reason as to why this unit wouldn't work with our cars? Keep in mind that i'm not building this car for crazy power or anything like that so I don't neccesarily need the best aftermarket heat exchanger money can buy.

Any/all input is welcomed & appreciated!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: CX Racing Heat Exchanger

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
Just wondering if anyone has done a universal heat exchanger upgrade such as this unit from CX Racing on their SRT-6.

cxracing.com: Aluminum Heat Exchanger For Air to Water Intercooler Applications, Core: 21"x6"x2.5"

I was looking at the options we have for aftermarket heat exchangers (Needswings, Eurocharged Performance, etc etc) and was also entertaining the idea of just doing a universal unit instead. I ran a universal CX Racing intercooler on my old Mazdaspeed Miata and it worked great. All I had to do was trim my factory I/C piping and it fit like a charm. The biggest "issue" I would see with running this unit from CX Racing is a mounting solution. But fabbing up brackets of some sort to keep it in place should be relatively easy.

Anyone see any reason as to why this unit wouldn't work with our cars? Keep in mind that i'm not building this car for crazy power or anything like that so I don't neccesarily need the best aftermarket heat exchanger money can buy.

Any/all input is welcomed & appreciated!
you are looking in the wrong place as both of those have been tried( they will not fit,with cutting and a lot of moving things around.
now the Needswings supercooler fits like a glove and solved the problem of the power steering cooler, (none of the others cover the PS) jim

Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
you are looking in the wrong place as both of those have been tried( they will not fit,with cutting and a lot of moving things around.
now the Needswings supercooler fits like a glove and solved the problem of the power steering cooler, (none of the others cover the PS) jim
That much hacking huh? Looking at the pics of it vs. the OEM unit I figured it wouldn't be too much work involved with getting it to fit. I looked at the Needswings & Eurocharged units but they're just so friggin' expensive! My CX Racing FMIC that I ran on my Miata set me back like $100 brand new on eBay....lol. We're not in Kansas anymore......I supposed modding the Crossfire is going to be a bit pricier than it was with the Miata.

That being said, Eurocharged Performance has a local shop about 30 min from me so I might go talk to them and see if they can cut me a deal on their heat exchanger.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you end up going to eurocharged, perhaps i can schedule some work on my xfire when you go so we can meet. I'm getting the intercooler circuit isolater from needswings. I'd love to see your plasti-dip!! Maybe we can get a group-of-two deal on exchangers :-)

Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Da55id
If you end up going to eurocharged, perhaps i can schedule some work on my xfire when you go so we can meet. I'm getting the intercooler circuit isolater from needswings. I'd love to see your plasti-dip!! Maybe we can get a group-of-two deal on exchangers :-)
That sounds good. I've been wanting to drop by their shop to check them out regardless. The previous owner of my car had them do their ECU/TCU tune and eventually I am going to do a new pulley/heat exchanger and have them re-tune it.